Power Steering Stupidity

Old 03-06-2013, 06:01 PM

Car Info: VF39'd EWG bugeye/ 99' Miata
Originally Posted by Island Style
If people want to focus on what you did wrong rather than what you are sharing...oh, well...you know what their life is really like...
Who was focusing on the wrong? Sounds like a bunch of good opinions/advice to me
Old 03-06-2013, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by mistaanime
they should be tight.. but don't over tight them.. you can cut or rip the hoses.
^This is what you don't want to do.

Have your wife sit in the car, turn the wheel side to side and see if the fluid moves up or down and that would be one way to tell if your pump is still good.

Another thing is that they probably recommend the ATF since it can withstand the higher temps
Old 03-06-2013, 06:08 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
Originally Posted by die_lawn
Who was focusing on the wrong? Sounds like a bunch of good opinions/advice to me
This..... phil hasn't been bashed in this thread yet (04sleeper, 4080wrx & SOHI havent been on yet LMAO) but he is getting good remarks about the subaru pump... there is no hating.... if you do have a leak use the lucas PSF it did wonders to my old impreza. sometimes the leak could be down low you may want to look around your rack.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:12 PM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
no **** i saw the thread but i'm not the type of troll to take free food, it's always a trap
Old 03-06-2013, 06:46 PM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
Originally Posted by die_lawn

What made you into such a cynical angry person Dylan...you stalking around looking for a fight all the time...

Boy, someone is waking up on the wrong side of the bed...

Last edited by Island Style; 03-06-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:02 PM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
My 04 STI power steering pump went out at around 6x,xxx miles...it was short lived...I think they improved on them there after. After speaking with a few of my friends with the same year, theirs went out within 5000 miles of mine also
Damn! That sucks. I guess I got lucky. 105k miles, w/ a couple of seasons of AutoX and a Q-Rack (maybe that's helping?) but my stock PS pump is still going...until I post this, now it'll probably go out on the way home from work. lol.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:17 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI, 2009 XT
Shaggy I have better things to do than read posts of how "I ****ed up but fixed but not really". I am past the hose clamp how toos I guess. It's funny people say focus on the positive.... It was broken, wrong fluid added, camps added ...still broke. Tell me the informative take away from that.... Oh check caps for description of fluid to add. Got it
Old 03-06-2013, 08:13 PM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
Not this again. We've all been there. Sure, a little bit of research would have helped prevent half those problems but lesson learned, I've done stupid **** too.. I just didn't post it online, but that's ok, because based on the OP he's expecting all kinds of responses. Both helpful and trolling.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
Took me forever, a dozen searches before figuring it out. Here's my write up, hope it helps.

Step 1: Pulled out the the Power steering reservoir and the hoses that are attached on it.

Step 2: Removed the 4x clamps and and pull off the hoses and clean the reservoir

Step 3: Use new 4x clamps (autozone, kregan etc ) and reinstall the hoses with the clamps. Tight but don't go ape shiet on it.

Step 4: Reinstall the Hoses to the return line and feed line.

Step 5: Replacing old power steering O ring (example below of location)

The dealer won't sell you the O ring, they will sell you the entire Power Steering Pump. So instead, you go to the hardware store and pick up this o ring : 5/8" OD x 1/2" ID x 1/16"

Name:  465e9c95-c017-4513-9fe5-74d60642372e.jpeg
Views: 9
Size:  196.5 KB

Comparison Old and new:

New one on top and old OEM on bottom
Name:  20130306_211440.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  35.1 KB

Old OEM on top and new one on the bottom
Name:  20130306_211403.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  45.5 KB

Step 6: After replacing and reinstalling everything. Jack the front of the car up and fill the reservoir halfway with power steering fuild (ATF!!) this what i used:

Step 7: turn on car while its on jack stand and on neutral and turn the steering all the way to one end, and check the reservoir, and fill it again. Turn the other way and keep filling it.. eventually the whining would stop as you are filling and turning the steering wheel... this is bleeding the power steering.

Step 8: put the car on the floor, take it for a spin. you probably hear the whine but eventually goes away.

if this doesn't work then something is probably wrong with the pump. at least you have already taken the cheap steps before replacing a the pump or hoses...
Old 03-06-2013, 11:27 PM

What made you into such a cynical angry person Dylan...you stalking around looking for a fight all the time...

Boy, someone is waking up on the wrong side of the bed...
What part of my post makes me sound angry? Sounds like someone is just being a little crybaby. You assuming just makes you sound like an ***. Or do you need attention. Don't worry, I won't buy things then have you cry to me over PM that you wanted them for your sons car, then when I offer it to you, you straight low ball me. Is it my fault that you needed to spend money on your dishwasher or whatever bs? No. Maybe the guy didn't want to sell them to you since you probably offered him $100 for a $400 set with tires.

Where does it say that I'm looking for a fight also? He posted, I put my opinion. I didn't tell him he's stupid for not reading the cap and assuming. Nor did I say that he's nig rigging by just tightening a hose clap too tight and that it will probably cause a bigger problem at the end.

I wake up in the middle of my bed nice and happy every day, thanks for asking. I just enjoy being a troll, especially when you say something stupid to me
Old 03-06-2013, 11:35 PM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
Well this turned out better than I expected. I agree with good spirits in this thread. Power steering as of now has worked just fine but I think I might go ahead and do the o-ring just because its easy and in several places seen that it should be replaced. Thanks all for inputs.
This was more a thread that peeps new and old alike can have in the back of their head for that one day they encounter something similar and be like, "Ho brah, lets not be like that one guy and put dakine fluid in da pump."

Last edited by PSBeachBum; 03-06-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by PSBeachBum
"Ho brah, lets not be like that one guy and put dakine fluid in da pump."
Name:  beyondhaole_zpse935e154.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  18.9 KB
Old 03-07-2013, 12:27 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
^ I was trying to quote that last night but got distracted and then fell asleep!

Thankfully, my PS pump has never given me any problems. 128k on my original pump (I didn't use the one that came with my motor) "knocks on wood"
Old 03-07-2013, 12:41 PM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
Haole hawaiian. . I have a skin pigment deficiency

Last edited by PSBeachBum; 03-07-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:13 PM

i'm pretty sure the only hawaiian you got is your license plates and i think the deficiency is isolated in the northern hemisphere.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering Stupidity