Planning a trip to Maui....Where to stay, what to eat, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 12:20 PM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Planning a trip to Maui....Where to stay, what to eat, what to do?

Hey guys/gals, we're planning a little trip to Maui for our anniversary and was wondering who has any info or recommendations for Maui? Looking for hotels, restaurants, must see/must do kind of things. Not looking to go on the cheap, but not talking ballah' penthouse status either. Throw some stuff out there if you've got some experiences to share. Thanks in advance, B
Old 08-29-2012, 10:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
For eats: Da Kitchen and Krispy Kremes, all a growing boy needs.

To do: must take a Suby or on AWD car up Haleakala. A rental will work but not as fun.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:23 AM

Car Info: STi (cornering, accelerating and braking hard).
Go to Duo Steak and Seafood at the Four Seasons. They have a buy one entree and get one free special. Great food and even better service. Try the 24 oz. bon-in ribeye steak. Aged to perfection.

Sam Sato's for dry mein and manju. Da Kitchen has huge portions. Cafe O'Lei at the Maui Lani golf course. Try the fish special plate lunch.

Drive to Hana all the way around and go up to the crater.

Both are better with AWD.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:31 AM

Car Info: grandmas car
When I picked the WRX up in Maui, we stayed at the Royal Lahaina Resort. Id recommend there, or any place in Kaanapali. I second going up Haleakala in a Subaru
Old 08-30-2012, 12:53 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
Tasty Crust for breakfast. Best. Pancakes. Ever.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:08 PM

Car Info: GR.SEDAN
ive been asking the same question around at work since i'll be going to maui for a day trip and i've been hearing:

-sunrise at haleakala
-drive to hana (but go all the way around, otherwise its just a windy road)
-da kitchen
-bar hop in lahaina
Old 08-30-2012, 07:06 PM

Car Info: grandmas car
Originally Posted by tesh
ive been asking the same question around at work since i'll be going to maui for a day trip and i've been hearing:

-sunrise at haleakala
i opted for sunset.......almost the same smell, except sunrise, youd be waking up pretty damn early to make it to the top of the mountain.......
Old 08-31-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by 4080wrx
For eats: Da Kitchen and Krispy Kremes, all a growing boy needs.

To do: must take a Suby or on AWD car up Haleakala. A rental will work but not as fun.
Originally Posted by Risk3233
Go to Duo Steak and Seafood at the Four Seasons. They have a buy one entree and get one free special. Great food and even better service. Try the 24 oz. bon-in ribeye steak. Aged to perfection.

Sam Sato's for dry mein and manju. Da Kitchen has huge portions. Cafe O'Lei at the Maui Lani golf course. Try the fish special plate lunch.

Drive to Hana all the way around and go up to the crater.

Both are better with AWD.
@ Jess, I just may have to do Krispy Kreme. Nothing like getting them fresh
@ Ed, thanks for the bunch of recommendations. Sounds like Da Kitchen is a must see. That Duo steakhouse sounds nice too......and two for one, who can beat that?

Originally Posted by dysfunctnl doll
When I picked the WRX up in Maui, we stayed at the Royal Lahaina Resort. Id recommend there, or any place in Kaanapali. I second going up Haleakala in a Subaru
I think Leila has her mind made up about staying at the Grand Wailea. Of course the place looks unbelievable, but so does the price tag that comes along with it

Originally Posted by corytomo
Tasty Crust for breakfast. Best. Pancakes. Ever.
Leila's been there, but for some reason, she didn't seem overly excited. I still may have to check it out, depending on how close it is to where we're staying.

Originally Posted by tesh

-sunrise at haleakala
-drive to hana (but go all the way around, otherwise its just a windy road)
-da kitchen
-bar hop in lahaina
Originally Posted by dysfunctnl doll
i opted for sunset.......almost the same smell, except sunrise, youd be waking up pretty damn early to make it to the top of the mountain.......
I'm certain we'll be checking out Haleakala, I'm wondering which would be better for us. I'm an early bird and Leila's not.......hmmm probably sunset.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:14 AM

Car Info: 2010 WRX
you go to maui yet? i like tesh's plan but have alot to add... b4 i go and write a novel, just want to know if you went yet, if not, how long do you plan on staying. is it a family trip with keiki's or just you and your wifey.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:17 AM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
When we went over there for Soccer tournaments, we opted for renting a Condo...we stayed at the Maui Sands in Kihei...kind of Kona-ish...but fun. Condo was right on the ocean with a pool and full kitchen...about $130ish/night Kamaaina rate.

I didn't remember too many memorable eateries, we were so busy, we just ate where we could. I did like Shaka Pizza in Kihei though...pretty good.

A fun place to swim is Blackrock...Kaanapali resort area...very clear water...you can either take or rent snorkel gear...

Lahaina was fun just to walk around...

Stay out of the water at dawn and dusk...and any murky waters...sorry to sound like I am stating the obvious, but more accidental shark bites happen in Maui with those conditions...take care and enjoy!

Ed is definitely a great resource and a great guy...
Old 09-24-2012, 10:17 AM

Car Info: 2000 BRP 2.5rs Coupe
I used to go to Maui every year, Our favorite place to stay in regards to beach, attractions, price is the Kannapali Alli, it is a condo they are usually $250 and up. Right on Kanapalli beach you can walk to all the nicer hotels and use their bars and stuff and Whalers village has some good restaurants and stores.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by moto96793
you go to maui yet? i like tesh's plan but have alot to add... b4 i go and write a novel, just want to know if you went yet, if not, how long do you plan on staying. is it a family trip with keiki's or just you and your wifey.
Haven't gone yet. We're going 2nd week of October. We're only going for the weekend....>Friday through Sunday..........and no keiki's on this one.
Originally Posted by Island Style
When we went over there for Soccer tournaments, we opted for renting a Condo...we stayed at the Maui Sands in Kihei...kind of Kona-ish...but fun. Condo was right on the ocean with a pool and full kitchen...about $130ish/night Kamaaina rate.

I didn't remember too many memorable eateries, we were so busy, we just ate where we could. I did like Shaka Pizza in Kihei though...pretty good.

A fun place to swim is Blackrock...Kaanapali resort area...very clear water...you can either take or rent snorkel gear...

Lahaina was fun just to walk around...

Stay out of the water at dawn and dusk...and any murky waters...sorry to sound like I am stating the obvious, but more accidental shark bites happen in Maui with those conditions...take care and enjoy!

Ed is definitely a great resource and a great guy...
Thanks for the recs Brent. Haha, I think the only swimming we'll be doing will be at the pool.

Originally Posted by jakeg
I used to go to Maui every year, Our favorite place to stay in regards to beach, attractions, price is the Kannapali Alli, it is a condo they are usually $250 and up. Right on Kanapalli beach you can walk to all the nicer hotels and use their bars and stuff and Whalers village has some good restaurants and stores.
I think my wife already booked the hotel. If I'm not mistaken, I think we're staying at the Grand Wailea. Expensive....but should be a nice time. It's our anniversary, so I guess it's ok to spend the money?!?!?! Not as if I couldn't use it towards another set of wheels or anything for my LS, right? hahaha
Old 09-26-2012, 10:15 PM

Car Info: STi (cornering, accelerating and braking hard).
Tried a new restaurant this past weekend. Makawao Steak House which is now owned by Cafe O Lei. Great appetizers and steak. Good prices too.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:27 AM

Car Info: '04 STi
Tried a new restaurant this past weekend. Makawao Steak House which is now owned by Cafe O Lei. Great appetizers and steak. Good prices too.
Hey Ed, is Azeka's sweet meat still available? I agree...Sam Sato's for dry noodle & white bean manju. Haven't been to Maui since the early 90's, is Takamiya's still around?
Old 09-27-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by shiroikage
Hey Ed, is Azeka's sweet meat still available? I agree...Sam Sato's for dry noodle & white bean manju. Haven't been to Maui since the early 90's, is Takamiya's still around?
Mmmmm, all this talk about food is making me hungry! Thank goodness I leave for Vegas next week! Then Maui a week after I get back from Vegas.

Quick Reply: Planning a trip to Maui....Where to stay, what to eat, what to do?