Pat - Brake info......

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 11:31 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
I got my control arms from George

downtown. Cheaper, especially without the shipping costs. One other thing, they aren't any lighter than stock according to all the theads about them, just stiffer.

San
Old 08-25-2003, 11:32 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
But do they fit on wagons?
Old 08-25-2003, 11:39 PM

The threads I've seen say

sedan only, unless you get the GC8 aluminum control arms. Just what I've read.

San

Edit

Last edited by oldmansan; 08-26-2003 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:04 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
San, why do you

always ..... j/k.

Anyhow, are you talking about the plates on the rotors? Like there's an outside disk that sorta snaps on the hub of the inside disk?
Old 08-26-2003, 12:29 AM

Pat, sorry about my last post.

Should have read SEDAN only, unless you get the GC8 control arms. Too many beers. I'm talking about a "floating" rotor that mounts to an aluminum hat. Allows the rotor material to expand independently from the hat material. You can see a good pic in this thread (look for the pic without the wheel on).

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...threadid=28787

San
Old 08-26-2003, 01:11 AM
VIP Member

cool
Old 08-26-2003, 01:28 AM

Car Info: White on Gold STi
I was trying not to get involved it this thread, but I think it's time to.

The Subaru 4pots work great on a car that in only doing 120mph or so into turn one, with a perons that can control their brakes and keep them from fading, ie. not doing lap after lap of thresh hold braking.

But if you are going faster than that and/or have a tendence not to pay attention to your brakes until it's to late. You should get a good kit designed for the WRX that has a two piece rotor.

It's not the pads, rotor size, MC, SS lines or brake fluid that going to kill you. Your worse brakes worse enemy is HEAT.

Example, With my WRX with the Stoptechs I could threshold brake all the time everywhere on the track and not get brake fade. With my 240sx stock rotors, pads, lines and 12 year old brake fluid, the got hot fast so I had to manage my brakes, but not once did they hit the floor.

Remember you get what you pay for and in my opinon you should get the Stoptech's.

Just my $0.02
Old 08-26-2003, 01:37 AM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
i vote stoptech's too for the cost!!

Mike is right about knowing how to brake, ... or not breaking your brakes.
I've talked to a handfull of people that have faded their stock WRX brakes so bad, the pedal hit the floor, or lose to it. That shouldn't happen if you're 'paying attention', or using other means to slow your car.

I like the Subaru 4pots, they Do work well(and better), we have Lap Times and sore *** necks to Prove it. My neck was never imagining a firmer pedal!! (Mitch-> poke, poke! j/k!!)

But what do you really want Pat???? I mean, we have only been able to test the Subaru 4pots, Stoptech's, and Brembo's. I would buy the Stoptech's in a second if I could afford it. BUT, if I was a 'big baller', ... I'd buy the Endless 6pot front, 4pot rear kit!!! Or even the Willwood kit! (6pot/4pot)

ok, buh bye
Old 08-28-2003, 07:22 PM
VIP Member

Mike,

There are 3 question that this thread didn't answer, though. I know that you and San and Sean all say that I can't go wrong with Stoptech's...and Brembo's and Suby 4pots, but I don't have $1600 sitting around (I don't even have the $ for the tranny. I've got to ask a financial institution everytime I want something that costs that much)

I did have a little excess, though, and so I decided to put some thought and research and asking your opinions about some good brakes.

1) How effective would it be to just buy some nice rotors and pads? Like the Baer 2 piece rotors San and Mitch were talking about? $580 or so.

2) What if I were to piece together a 'brake kit' of some really good rotors of one brand and some really good lines from another, nice calipers and really nice pads?

3) Are there any pros & cons to just upgrading the front brakes and leaving the upgrade of the rear brakes for another day?

Questions? I got a million of 'em. Always learning.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by gpatmac
Mike,

There are 3 question that this thread didn't answer, though. I know that you and San and Sean all say that I can't go wrong with Stoptech's...and Brembo's and Suby 4pots, but I don't have $1600 sitting around (I don't even have the $ for the tranny. I've got to ask a financial institution everytime I want something that costs that much)

I did have a little excess, though, and so I decided to put some thought and research and asking your opinions about some good brakes.

1) How effective would it be to just buy some nice rotors and pads? Like the Baer 2 piece rotors San and Mitch were talking about? $580 or so.

2) What if I were to piece together a 'brake kit' of some really good rotors of one brand and some really good lines from another, nice calipers and really nice pads?

3) Are there any pros & cons to just upgrading the front brakes and leaving the upgrade of the rear brakes for another day?

Questions? I got a million of 'em. Always learning.

I think we awnsered most of this earlier today, but I'll put it up for everyone.

1. Any upgrade to get ride of heat is a good one, but is it worth the price.....

2. You might as well get a pre assembled kit. Most kits are designed to work together or have all the pieces you need (less headache)

3.Well since your front does most of the braking it's definitly ok. Look at all the company's that only sell front brake kits.

Did that anwser all of your questions.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:24 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
Brakes

What about Wilwood I've not known anybody that has owned them but they ahve been around for a while. They have a 6 piston caliper/13" rotor kit kit comes with everything except lines.

www.wilwood.com/products/kits/sl6bbhk/index.asp

Here is the link not sure what the price is compared to Stoptech's I think they might be cheaper not sure.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:33 AM

I'm not sure, what the price is. My only two question are how big is the caliber size wise (I know it's a 6pot/more rotational mass) and is it going to disapate more heat?

After knowing that, is the extra/less mass, ability to disapate heat and price worth it?
Old 08-29-2003, 02:30 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by 18hrwrx
Did that anwser all of your questions.
Yes you did. Thanks very much.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:18 AM

Hey pat,
I'm no expert, but I've been seriously considering Stoptech's stage 2 package. Relativley affordable, and should suit your needs......click on link and search for stage 2 WRX

http://www.stoptech.com/cgi/search_c...tion=category1
Old 08-29-2003, 03:23 AM

500 bucks plus shipping for F/R: slotted rotors, lines, pads, and fluid......plus black hats to match my, errr I mean your rims

Quick Reply: Pat - Brake info......