Need help! Driverside headlight not working!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:57 PM

Need help! Driverside headlight not working!

i have a 03 bugeye with the jdm hid projectors, tonight i noticed my regular beam wasnt working. and if i play with it "on/off" it'll flicker like 3 times then shut off. could it be the bulb or the ballast? does anybody know what type of bulbs they are? any type of advice is greatly appreciated. i need this problem fixed by tomorrow.

thanks, chris
Old 04-29-2010, 12:10 AM

Car Info: 2003 wrx with hta68 1994 Honda accord h22a
you should ask infek.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:32 AM

Car Info: car
i could be wrong but sounds like the bulb. if its a very faint flicker then dies out then what you see is the ballast trying to ignite the gas contained in the little capsule of your HID bulb. it will keep trying then default back to its normal operating voltage that keeps it lit... if the bulib is defective then obviously the light will then stop after flickering. why dont you test the suspected bulb in the other side and the known working bulb in the side giving you issues.(swap left to right) the results will tell you if its the ballast or bulb... if its the ballast then the most you can do is check your connections.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:21 AM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Originally Posted by juniorsti
i could be wrong but sounds like the bulb. if its a very faint flicker then dies out then what you see is the ballast trying to ignite the gas contained in the little capsule of your HID bulb. it will keep trying then default back to its normal operating voltage that keeps it lit... if the bulib is defective then obviously the light will then stop after flickering. why dont you test the suspected bulb in the other side and the known working bulb in the side giving you issues.(swap left to right) the results will tell you if its the ballast or bulb... if its the ballast then the most you can do is check your connections.
kind of...

how old are the bulbs, hid bulbs generally last a long time.

what the OP is describing sounds like the ballast. yes its true that it ignites and then goes to 12v. however if the ballast is not operating correctly it may not be able to supply enough power to begin. when its hella cold outsides my lights take a on/off cycle or 2 to kick on, and generally before they finally turn on it does a flicker.

in my experience when the bulbs go, they dont even flicker. i have been through both bulbs and ballast. try flicking the light on and off several times and see if it ignites at all. switch the ballast if possible see if you have the same problem.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:38 AM

i would like to thank everyone who helped me out. it was the bulb!