Moving to Kaneohe!

Old 03-11-2008, 12:11 PM

Car Info: ghey e-rights activist
Originally Posted by Phatzilla18
Thoughts and opinions wanted :

-Part out '04 WRX, sell WRX
-Buy mint '00 2.5RS, loaded, stock, low miles
-Drive while in HI, where I don't need a fast car anyway, and will be deployed 1 of the 3 years I'll be there.
-Pay off debt with extra money, start saving for drivetrain swap (per diem baby).
keep your suby and keep your lights....did you bake your headlights to black them out. i've never had a problem with mine at safety check.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:58 PM

Car Info: 2003 Jeep Wrangler 8" lift
Stories

Originally Posted by austinp02
The cops also with the exception of a few know very little about what the recon laws actually state and so will try and abuse it and even stock cars get hastled (ask josh).
Yea I got a good story on that. I'll tell ya all about it at your first meet..

Josh
Old 03-11-2008, 01:32 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS
Originally Posted by AngrySubyWagon
keep your suby and keep your lights....did you bake your headlights to black them out. i've never had a problem with mine at safety check.
yeah the wife didn't really like the idea of an RS...woops.

and yes they are diy baked headlights. you've never failed an inspection b/c of them?
Old 03-11-2008, 01:42 PM

Car Info: 2006 OBP WRX Wagon & SGM 2.5i wagon
I have failed recon solely on my baked blacked out headlights. The law is so vague it prob depends more on who looks at your car.
They are very easy to switch out (takes like 10 min) if you know someone who is willing.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:46 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx vf34 281hp/276tq
Ok to clarify, recon and safety inspections are two different things. you will probably pass safety with your headlights but will immediatly fail recon because of them. the only thing they should hastle you about is your exhaust. just be firm that all the items on your car dont require recon and you should be good for a safety check.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by austinp02
Ok to clarify, recon and safety inspections are two different things. you will probably pass safety with your headlights but will immediatly fail recon because of them. the only thing they should hastle you about is your exhaust. just be firm that all the items on your car dont require recon and you should be good for a safety check.
you're right on the money...as long as you have amber in your headlights, you pass safety. There are other cars that come like that stock, so whose to say yours didn't. I don't get recon cause my car sits on stock heighth, so i'm not that flashy.

Phatzilla, i've never failed an inspection because of that.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:31 PM

Ok mine do still have amber in them and if for some reason they did fail, I'm sure one of you kind Hawaii folk would let me borrow a stock set for a few hours right??
Old 03-11-2008, 08:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Ben and I'll be moving from Jax, FL to K-bay around June/July. I was referred over here by Bill (ScoobySouth) on nasioc since HIIC seemed kinda dead. So far the move looks like it's going to be a bit complicated (pets, car shipping, household goods, etc) but I can't wait to get out there.

We are starting to look for places to live also. I was wondering if anyone could lend any insight as to what cities/areas would be within a 20 minute drive to MCAS K-bay? TIA!
You will quickly learn not to call it K-bay. Just say Kaneohe. Hawaii is great. Subaru people in Hawaii are awesome. You will have a blast...
Old 03-13-2008, 09:13 AM

Ok guys, you all have been super helpful so far and I appreciate that, but I've come up with another question for you...

My tires are shot and my car needs an alignment. I have another set of tires at the house waiting to go on, but I want an alignment before I put the tires on so I don't chew them up.

My thought is to install the springs and tires at the same time, then go get an alignment. With a good alignment, good tires, and H&R springs, will I pass inspection/recon?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:29 AM

Ok guys, you all have been super helpful so far and I appreciate that, but I've come up with another question for you...

My tires are shot and my car needs an alignment. I have another set of tires at the house waiting to go on, but I want an alignment before I put the tires on so I don't chew them up.

My thought is to install the springs and tires at the same time, then go get an alignment. With a good alignment, good tires, and H&R springs, will I pass inspection/recon?
if they can align you back to factory settings...someone here has the link for recon information
Old 03-13-2008, 02:55 PM
VIP Member

You can drive on tires for a long time without the alignment destroying them. Most shops can't align your car without decent tires on the car.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:50 PM

Ok guys it's been a while since my last post but I've got some updates.

-Anyone military know for sure if you're only allowed to ship 1 car at the govt's expense?
-I'm selling my WRX for many reasons, won't really get into it now.
-I want to get into a 98-01 Impreza...either an RS or an OBS wagon
-If yall know of any, please send me a link or a phone number. I searched craigslist and autotrader and didn't see anything promising...otherwise I'm looking at buying a '99 OBS here in FLA...but I'd rather not have to ship it for $2000 if I can help it.
Thanks a lot guys!
Old 04-24-2008, 06:26 PM

Ok guys it's been a while since my last post but I've got some updates.

-Anyone military know for sure if you're only allowed to ship 1 car at the govt's expense?
-I'm selling my WRX for many reasons, won't really get into it now.
-I want to get into a 98-01 Impreza...either an RS or an OBS wagon
-If yall know of any, please send me a link or a phone number. I searched craigslist and autotrader and didn't see anything promising...otherwise I'm looking at buying a '99 OBS here in FLA...but I'd rather not have to ship it for $2000 if I can help it.
Thanks a lot guys!
the military does ship 1 car at teh govt's expense...check with your local TMO (traffic management office)
as for the RS...i'll keep an eye out.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:15 AM

great thanks!
Old 04-25-2008, 04:26 AM
VIP Member

You won't find one on island unless you are super lucky. There was just an Impreza that went for free a month ago.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moving to Kaneohe!