Moving to Kaneohe!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:57 PM

Car Info: 05 Aspen White STi wid 2 AK47's in da trunk!
Originally Posted by Phatzilla18
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Ben and I'll be moving from Jax, FL to K-bay around June/July. I was referred over here by Bill (ScoobySouth) on nasioc since HIIC seemed kinda dead. So far the move looks like it's going to be a bit complicated (pets, car shipping, household goods, etc) but I can't wait to get out there.

We are starting to look for places to live also. I was wondering if anyone could lend any insight as to what cities/areas would be within a 20 minute drive to MCAS K-bay? TIA!
i remember Bill he helped me out a lot when i was in jacksonville. especially when i blew my transmission. I work in k-bay and live in pearl city. the drive isnt that bad at all. about 30-45 minutes to work but in the morning and all throught out the day. but from k-bay to pearl city in the afternoon traffic is alot longer, obviously. i'm guessing your navy, right?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
Hey Ben! I just talked to Bill this morning (ordered a new power steering pump for my STi from him) and he mentioned that you would be moving out here. PM me if you have any other questions.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:27 PM

Anyway, I'm going to be with VP-4 when I get there.

I'm glad to hear there are regular meets too!

I saw on VP-4's website that all cars imported require an inspection and MUST be registered in HI...is that true? I mean my car is in good working order, but it is catless and I'd like to keep it registered in FL if I can.
When i got here from JAX i had to get my car inspected and registered within a month of recieving my car from VPC. I tried to keep my florida tags on my car because my registration wasn't going to expire till SEP 08, but i had to do so much more paper work and it wasn't worth it. Also, in order to get a base sticker you have to have a E-8 or above sign some paper work that you get from pass & ID and bring in a certificate for some driving class on NKO, i think it's called driving for life if your 25 or younger.

I'm not trying to scare you but when i picked my car up from VPC, the front passenger side was smashed in. they paid for all the damages though but it took 3 months. are you aircrew or are you going to be a maintainer? im in VP-9 but i work for CMO-2 as a maintainer.

OT: Oh i think i've seen austinp02 on base a couple times. shakas to you bro im the silver wrx with a BIG F on the driver's side.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:30 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS
Originally Posted by austinp02
Mike here, I'm stationed at K-bay and live in Kaneohe. What all do you have done to your car? While there is no smog regs they have this super gay thing called recon here and if you have your car lowered and/or have different wheels it is something you will probably want to look into getting done. Its a long drawn out complicated issue but to summerize things, alot of us dont have it, but the cops can hit you if you have certain things done to your vehicle. Definitly look into what does and doesnt require it so you can make a good argument if neccissary. also if your car is slammed you will be doin alot of scraping on all the hills/ramps/huge speedbumps around here.
As for housing, places do tend to be more expensive on the windward/kailua side but it is the place to be if you work on the base as traffic on the H can get pretty bad. Condos and apartments are more available here and good houses are gonna be a bit farther away unless you go for base housing. if you do want base housing get on it with the rep over there cause there is usually a long waiting list. pets in town will discourage alot of landlords unless you can prove that messes wont be an issue. either way they will complicate your move here, but i know they are part of the family so whatever it takes right? hope that helps, keep us updated with any questions and welcome!
Stage 2 opensource, full catless (quiet exhaust though), stock suspension, blackout headlights (no HIDs though). I have '06 stock wheels, I shouldn't get hassled about that right? I'll have a vf39 in hand, but not installed.

Originally Posted by HAT3R 671
i remember Bill he helped me out a lot when i was in jacksonville. especially when i blew my transmission. I work in k-bay and live in pearl city. the drive isnt that bad at all. about 30-45 minutes to work but in the morning and all throught out the day. but from k-bay to pearl city in the afternoon traffic is alot longer, obviously. i'm guessing your navy, right?
Yeah Bill is pretty much the man, haha. The JMS meets are getting up over 60 cars now! Yup, I'm Navy.

When i got here from JAX i had to get my car inspected and registered within a month of recieving my car from VPC. I tried to keep my florida tags on my car because my registration wasn't going to expire till SEP 08, but i had to do so much more paper work and it wasn't worth it. Also, in order to get a base sticker you have to have a E-8 or above sign some paper work that you get from pass & ID and bring in a certificate for some driving class on NKO, i think it's called driving for life if your 25 or younger.

I'm not trying to scare you but when i picked my car up from VPC, the front passenger side was smashed in. they paid for all the damages though but it took 3 months. are you aircrew or are you going to be a maintainer? im in VP-9 but i work for CMO-2 as a maintainer.

OT: Oh i think i've seen austinp02 on base a couple times. shakas to you bro im the silver wrx with a BIG F on the driver's side.
I'll be a new Nav/Com with VP-4. I've done the "driving for life" thing since I'm 23 so hopefully the whole base sticker thing won't be a problem. My wife and I are going to get our application in for base housing the minute I have my written orders. I just have verbal orders at the moment.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:13 AM

Car Info: 2003 Jeep Wrangler 8" lift
Plates

Thanks for the info guys! Just because traffic pisses me off I will probably concentrate my search near the base (maybe even base housing). We'll see. Anyway, I'm going to be with VP-4 when I get there.

I'm glad to hear there are regular meets too!

I saw on VP-4's website that all cars imported require an inspection and MUST be registered in HI...is that true? I mean my car is in good working order, but it is catless and I'd like to keep it registered in FL if I can.
I got a guy in my office that has FL plates on his car. He says it is not much hassle at all. PM me if you need anymore info. I never heard anything about an E-8 signing anything and I have been stationed at pearl harbor since 1993. If you do need some paper signed, let me know. Josh
Old 03-07-2008, 05:24 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
im the silver wrx with a BIG F on the driver's side.
Oh I've seen your car several times, but the "F" is for fokai right? It's some sort of gappling club right?
Old 03-07-2008, 06:22 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx vf34 281hp/276tq
the only thing you will will run into for recon problems is your blacked out headlights. if you modify them at all they wont pass recon. that said, as long as you dont drive like an a$$hole and your exhaust really isnt that loud you should be fine without it and with stock suspension it really isnt neccissary to get. fyi the windward/kailua cops leave the suby guys alone for the most part cause we dont cause trouble but other parts of the island are different. as for getting your base sticker papers, you may not need it for pearl harbor but to get it at MCBH you will probably need that signature. its not hard to get and most higher ups will sign it even if they dont know you.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by 808subaru
Oh I've seen your car several times, but the "F" is for fokai right? It's some sort of gappling club right?
yah it stands for fokai. it's a MMA clothing brand from guam and it is a grappling club. i'm just repping guam so instead of having a big guam sticker on the side of my car i'd rather just have the fokai sticker.... plus i love watching MMA.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by austinp02
the only thing you will will run into for recon problems is your blacked out headlights. if you modify them at all they wont pass recon. that said, as long as you dont drive like an a$$hole and your exhaust really isnt that loud you should be fine without it and with stock suspension it really isnt neccissary to get. fyi the windward/kailua cops leave the suby guys alone for the most part cause we dont cause trouble but other parts of the island are different. as for getting your base sticker papers, you may not need it for pearl harbor but to get it at MCBH you will probably need that signature. its not hard to get and most higher ups will sign it even if they dont know you.
How savvy are these recon stations to mods? Do they KNOW that suby headlights aren't blacked out from the factory?

I'm a pretty laid back driver so I hope to avoid run-ins with any HI cops
Old 03-08-2008, 08:45 AM

How savvy are these recon stations to mods? Do they KNOW that suby headlights aren't blacked out from the factory?

RECON sux PERIOD. They are strict as fack and will even ding your for your stock stuff.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:11 AM

Car Info: 09 xt

I have JDM headlights, and honestly cops don't bother with them. They would NOT pass recon though, but I'm in the percentage that mike (austinp02) is talking about.
Originally Posted by Saul_Goode
RECON sux PERIOD. They are strict as fack and will even ding your for your stock stuff.
Hey what's up man!
Old 03-08-2008, 02:38 PM

fawk...i JUST got those headlights.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:16 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx vf34 281hp/276tq
from what i have been able to determine from the recon laws (anyone feel free to correct me) is that if you have stock suspension and wheels that are within 1 1/2in (could be 1/4) greater than stock size you dont need it. i believe suspension/wheel mods are the only thing that makes you need to go get recon. but, if you do get recon for those you need to have your other engine/performance mods checked and noted by recon and updated each time you do another one to keep it legal. body/engine/exhaust mods are not recon items and you dont need recon for them unless you swap an engine with a different number of cylinders, but they will be noted and inspected if you do get recon and can fail you if deemed unsafe or improperly installed (aka an intake without a mounting bracket). nitrous is illegal and if they find a line or bottle on your car (and they will find it) you will fail. tampering with dot approved headlights (clearing or smoking them) is also illegal and they will not pass recon although the cops usually dont care. OEM JDM or EDM lights as long as they are dot stamped are ok tho. not sure what the HID/headlight color laws are here tho.
Unfortunately the recon laws here are outdated, vague and easily missinterpereted. I believe they were origionally made to keep unsafe beaters off the road but now cops just use it to hastle tuners. The cops also with the exception of a few know very little about what the recon laws actually state and so will try and abuse it and even stock cars get hastled (ask josh). i would study up on it as much as you can and just be knowlegable. as your car stands i think you should be fine but if you continue to mod you will risk being hastled so just drive safe and save it for auto-x. the island is too small and crowded for street racing wich is a dumb idea to begin with. holy crap this is long so i am done :P
Old 03-11-2008, 07:49 AM

So concerning my blacked out headlights, during my initial inspection upon arrival I would immediately fail and would not pass until I bought a new set of stock headlights?

Would I be better off to just swap back to stock before I ever get here?
Old 03-11-2008, 08:46 AM

Thoughts and opinions wanted :

-Part out '04 WRX, sell WRX
-Buy mint '00 2.5RS, loaded, stock, low miles
-Drive while in HI, where I don't need a fast car anyway, and will be deployed 1 of the 3 years I'll be there.
-Pay off debt with extra money, start saving for drivetrain swap (per diem baby).

Quick Reply: Moving to Kaneohe!