Martial Arts Class for kids

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 06:08 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Martial Arts Class for kids

Need recommendations for a good martial arts studio that caters towards a 4year old. Style does not matter its more of the discipline I am looking for. Preferably in the Mililani area......

Price:

Thanks
Old 07-30-2007, 07:54 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI, Grey
Me Too

Yea, i am interested too, whenever I get back I want to put my son who is 4 right now in it.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:20 AM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Got Karate?

My son Jayden takes Karate from JIKC (http://www.jikc.org/). He attends the Moanalua dojo on Tuesday and Thursday and the town dojo (Japanese Cultural center) on Sundays. His Sensei is Michael Shimabukuro. He is IMO, a great teacher. He's strict, but fair, and all the kids love him. They have a kinder-kid program for the young ones, and the ages vary up to adults in their 50's.

In the 3 years that my son has taken Karate form sensei Michael, I really feel it has helped him with discipline, his behavior (in and out of class), and his self esteem. He has been to the Junior Nationals twice already and has received gold, silver, and bronze medals on both occasions. In their Dojo, they have NUMEROUS national champions of different age groups.....all under Sensei Michaels wing.

PM me if you've got any other questions. Thanks, Brandon
Old 07-30-2007, 11:02 AM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
Be careful...

sometimes too young is not good....

I started my son off at the age of 4/5...and it was just too early...I pulled him out and re-enrolled him at the age of 6. I also enrolled my daughter at the age of 6. My son is now 11 and just earned his blackbelt and my daughter is 8 and holds a brown.

I can tell you from first hand experience that although my son was a ninja/karate freak from when he could walk...(he was a ninja for halloween until the age of 9/10)...I almost ruined it for him...had I not pulled him out when I did, he would have quit and hated karate...at the age of 4, he started dreading going to karate...often times crying...probably due to the stress and loudness at which the class was taught...and the need for a nap still...

Depending on their needs such as naps (most still need naps at this age around the time karate class is taught), emotional stability, and self-motivaton...kids can enter at any age in which they are able to handle the mental and physical discipline required of all martial arts. My cousin (Ojichan STI - Taekwon-Do Instructor/owner) and I advocate 6yrs as a good age.

It also depends on whether a school has the resources to provide a specific "young child" class as well...this often works to introduce and transition the child into the martial arts...

With that said...depending on what you are looking for...

My kids went to the International Karate Federation (IKF) for tournament training and now attend Japan International Karate Center (JIKC) classes. Tournament schools like IKF do provide a solid foundation but often at the risk of Burnout (my son and daughter almost lost interest again due to the seriousness of the workouts/monthly tournaments/national tournaments, and numerous seminars throughout the year)...another caution...

JIKC, filled our nitch for life-long learning...competitive, self paced...
Old 07-30-2007, 11:17 AM

Car Info: 2013 WRB GVF STi
I also have to agree with Island Style.
I used to teach Tae Kwon Do for a few years a while back and I started with kids.
Many of the kids there were pretty much forced to be there rather than opting to be there of their own accord.
It made teaching them even more difficult and their form became sloppy.
And with the head instructor being so lenient on them during promotion days (even if they sucked at it, he'd still promote them since no parent wants to see a loser kid), it made it harder for them to see the way they're doing it was not good enough. If they couldn't see the error in their form, they can't improve. When they get older, they continue with that bad form and it ruins them.
Picture a black belt getting beat up at a tournament by a blue belt (a bit over 1 year behind). If they were to start slightly older, more of the information they receive could be better processed, IMO.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:34 AM

I agree also with Brent and gmhl10. My son started at the age of 8, and he's 11 now. I've seen my share of youngins crying all throughout practice. I think as long as you don't push too hard, and take it for what it is at that point, you'll be ok. Everybody wants a winner, but I think there is a fine line between being a parent and a dictator. My son has pretty much been in the "competition" class since the first year, but I've never gone over board. I want the best for him and always hope he wins, but will never push him so hard that he would want to quit. We've even discussed dropping out of the competition classes as well, since practices get pretty long/intense sometimes. I've always told him that if he doesn't want to compete, he can drop the competition class, but we'd still like him to attend the regular classes, maybe twice a week.

Best thing to do is to check it out and see for yourself. The kinderkid classes that I've seen on Sundays seem kind of fun for the kids.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:19 PM

^^^All good points from GMHL10 and Bran808

yes...kids such as those 4/5yrs tend to either crash from the beginning or last for 6months, then never take it again...

The Kinder classes that Bran spoke of is really good...they don't really follow traditional workouts...skills like how to listen and following instruction are taught along with physical exercises and games...it gradually introduces the kids into karate training...I know the JIKC in the Pearl City dojo does this...

I also agree with GMHL10...it's embarrasing to see a black belt get beaten by a lower ranking belt...Jayden (Bran808's son) is getting ready to take his black belt, and as mentioned my son Blaise just earned his...I can honestly say that these two national level competitors are true black belts...

Last edited by Island Style; 07-30-2007 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Wrong name: GMLH10 to GMHL10
Old 07-30-2007, 12:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
They make pretty good points.

I went to IKF when I was young (the Kotaka Family ran the classes that I went to and I THINK they still do?). They had lots of younger kids in it and were also good solid people.

They also have a point about the psychological stuff. Especially, the part about "does this kid really want to be here or are they forced to be here?".

On a lighter note: I started Karate right after "Karate Kid" came out...so yeah, I'm old and a dork. Word.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:02 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
A lot of sensible discussion here, I'll just add my $0.02...

My wife and son went to the JIKC dojo in Aiea, behind Cutter Ford. That might work for you, maybe 15 minutes from Mililani? I liked the fact that they stressed self-reliance and discipline, nothing was ever said about fighting or self-defense. Those ideas, of course, are implied in the adult classes, but never brought up to the kids. The hours are flexible and you can get a half-hour introductory lesson for your son/daughter at no cost. We just walked in, but it might be prudent to call ahead.

Four years old might be a bit young to start, but the introductory class will tell you if he/she really wants to go. Worst case, the classes can be paid month to month, so if your child loses interest and really refuses to go, you're not out 6 month's or a year's worth of tuition.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:07 PM

Car Info: 02 RS
Originally Posted by Bran808
His Sensei is Michael Shimabukuro. He is IMO, a great teacher. He's strict, but fair, and all the kids love him.

I'm known mike for over ten years now. he is a really good guy. i remember when he was training for world competitions.

as for kids classes i work with kids in kung fu training the last 7 years and at 4 years that is alittle young. 5 is the the border line and 7 years old is the best. we do have two kids who are 4 years old and for what you are paying and what they are learning isn't the be best rewards. But the parents insist they training and are willing to pay for the little gains.

-brento
Old 07-30-2007, 06:34 PM
VIP Member

thanks for the good information guys.

this sounds interesting if you could provide more info it would be great:

"The Kinder classes that Bran spoke of is really good...they don't really follow traditional workouts...skills like how to listen and following instruction are taught along with physical exercises and games...it gradually introduces the kids into karate training...I know the JIKC in the Pearl City dojo does this"...
Old 07-30-2007, 10:46 PM

^^^go to the website that Bran808 listed above...

You will see the locations and times including the special kids class.

The Pearl City Dojo (main dojo) besides the one in China Town, is located in the business complex near the Ford dealership in Pearl City...

Talk to Sensei Rusty, he will be able to answer all of your questions...I'm not sure if it would help, but you can mention that Brent Sugita and Brandon Okahara recommended you check it out...both of our kids have been very happy at JIKC...

btw...you may want to think about either enrolling yourself, your wife or both...it really helps to do this as a family to set an example of how important you think karate is to your child...and to gain an appreciation of how demanding training can be both mentally and physically.

Enjoy...karate has been and will always be a part of our family...

Last edited by Island Style; 07-30-2007 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:36 PM

Yeah, like Brent said, there are quite a bit of father son, mother son families attending JIKC. Good way for the kids to bond and also easier for them to ease into the classes if they've got a friendly face right there with them. If you do mention my son, his name is Jayden Tamaye and he's a brown/black belt training with sensei Michael. Check it out......wouldn't hurt.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:51 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Hey. Greetings from the BAIC.

Yeah... I agree with the others. I'd say give it to a few years before you decide to enroll your kids. You just have to keep in mind that a five, six, and even seven year old isn't really that developed.

Keep in mind that with martial arts, and really anything, it takes consistent time and dedication. From my experience, I think that the mindset of the individual is the most important factor. It isn't so much if someone is talented or not. It is more like whether or not they are willing to put in the hard work and continue to grow. I've been practicing my art for... (counts), I think 12 years now, and I've seen people come and go. Kids, adults, whoever.

Martial arts is one of those longterm things. You kind of want to start off on the right foot if you know what I mean.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:53 AM
VIP Member

Bumping this back up from the dead.

My kids are moving back to Hawaii at the end of October and I need some info. on Muay Thai classes for 6-9 y/o. I wouldn't mind throwing in some BJJ also. So far I have found O2 Martial Arts Academy which offers both and a few other styles.

My son has taken Muay Thai for over 2.5 years and is far from a beginner and my daughter started this past February. Both go 4 to 5x a week more towards the latter of the two.

Thanks