Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Additive

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 12:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Exclamation Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Additive

Does any body uses Lucas Oil in their engine? One of my good friends uses it in his Hemi truck and told me about its function and purpose. He told me that especially for new engines like mines. Lucas oil would give the engine an even better idle due to lesser friction occuring withing the engine. So Went down to checkers in my local area to check it out but was sketchy about it!!
Old 12-03-2005, 01:29 AM

Car Info: Rust bucketo
I dunno .. Additives are a bit iffy and hard to trust.

From what it seems though, besides all of the "good" things that it's supposed to do, isn't the main side effect a thickening of your engine oil?

I don't know much about that but you only want to go so thick before it's bad..

Or so I think.

Old 12-03-2005, 01:44 AM

Car Info: '97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Is the Lucas additive the one they have advertised with the little display with white plastic gears you can spin? One side is just oil, the other side is oil + additive, and the oil clearly "adheres" to the gears better on the additive side. Some might think that's a great thing, but too me it just looks like increased windage losses. The side that has only oil does just fine - there's still a layer of oil on the gears.

Anyway, I'm a no additives kind of guy.

Pat Olsen
'97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Old 12-03-2005, 10:21 AM

Car Info: 2007 7.0RS
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen
One side is just oil, the other side is oil + additive, and the oil clearly "adheres" to the gears better on the additive side.

Anyway, I'm a no additives kind of guy.
yep, it's the one with the white gears...*looks* good in the plastic display, but i wonder if it'll breakdown as soon as heat becomes a factor...

i dont use any additives as well...
Old 12-03-2005, 01:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Anything Lucas is Teh Isht!

I'm a huge fan of their fuel treatment after the trip I made from Indiana to CT in fairly severe weather.

Here shortly I may be able to make the claim (thanks to V-Rod) that their oil stabilizer is singularly responsible for saving my heads after I tried to break them.

I'll add more after I've been able to take a look at my cam journals.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:33 PM

Car Info: 2002 S2000
Well the purpose of it is to basically make the oil thicker. It's supposed to reduce oil leaks (because it's thicker). I seem to recall it's actually for older engines, not newer ones. And I've also heard that Mercedes Benz forbids this product in their engines and will actually void your warranty if you've added it to your MB.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:26 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
I have a wrx and i have always put in in my engine. The stuff works great!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 08:59 PM

Car Info: 04 Toyota Tacoma
I always use BG MOA whenever I change my oil, awesome stuff.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:52 PM

Car Info: 1991 Toyota MR-2 Turbo
Talk about reviving the dead, this thread is from 2005.

In any case I'm a no oil additive guy too. I like some Lucas products (I use UCL with every tank of gas in my rotary) but I'm not gonna mess with the oil additive especially after reading this:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
Old 03-15-2007, 10:05 PM

Smile Lol

first off he is using a gear box, an engine has pistons, secondly an engine is hot.. don't take this serious, you'll live longer lol
Old 03-16-2007, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by knightsnke
first off he is using a gear box, an engine has pistons, secondly an engine is hot.. don't take this serious, you'll live longer lol
I think you're missing the point and I'm just wondering if you read the whole thing. Engine oils are used at the bottom of the page there. The additive is causing the oil to froth (entrain air) which is not good. But if you want to use it, it's your car...
Old 03-16-2007, 10:23 AM

Car Info: car
doesnt lucas use a gear box like sample on thier display? it doesnt feel hot when i touch it either....
Old 03-16-2007, 01:30 PM

listen the guy that made the gear box is wrong. I have been using Lucas in my oil since i first got my WRX and my car runs Perfecto. If you are unsure of the product then you don't have to use it, but don't give out false advice if you don't use it in your car like I do.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:54 PM

listen the guy that made the gear box is wrong. I have been using Lucas in my oil since i first got my WRX and my car runs Perfecto. If you are unsure of the product then you don't have to use it, but don't give out false advice if you don't use it in your car like I do.
Oh, okay. Sorry. I guess we should listen to a 25 yr old noob who likes to revive dead threads and post in our regional forum over some tests from one of the most informative websites about oil on the internet.

BTW I posted that link to provide more info to folks that are considering it so don't get your panties in a bunch over it. There are thousands of folks who run w/out Lucas since they first got their WRX and their car runs Perfecto too!
Old 03-16-2007, 03:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Bob the oil guy seems to be selling a product. Schaffer's is a major sponsor for his site.

Edit:
p.s.
I wouldn't put the lucas in my car with those test results. Even if Bob is selling a product.

Quick Reply: Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Additive