List your best detailing products and cleaning tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 07:39 PM

Car Info: STI
Originally Posted by EtchyLives
Hmmm. I'll have to try the 2-towel method. It seems it would work well. Any tips for the NXT? I'm on my way to go get some "potting soil" for my wife. heh heh heh
I think the 2 towel method would be beneficial no matter what brand of wax you use Wax buildup on the towel greatly reduces its ability to remove wax as well as buff to a good shine. It also helps to not use too much wax You also won't need as many microfiber towels....just use terry cloth for the initial removal and microfiber to follow up.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
Alright. I got the NXT, and the car looks great. Micro-fiber will be the next purchase.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:30 AM

Car Info: '04 JBP STi
The purple meguiars tire gel not the white cream. There's two different ones. The high gloss (purple version) and then the crappy tire protectant (white cream). Purple one comes in a clear bottle and the other one a black smaller bottle. Checkers used to carry it. Now...nomo. Which Daiei?
Old 05-21-2004, 12:34 AM

Yes the purple one (Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel). I saw it at both the Kailua and Pearl City ones. I just wish they sold the normal gloss as a stand alone bottle instead of just the high gloss one.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:25 AM

Car Info: 04sti
how long do i have to wait?

Originally Posted by STi-LLlegal
mr. clean works pretty good, but the filter and soap are used up fast. it does auto-dry, but there's these small puddles near the wing base that need chamois. meguiars hot wheel cleaner. eagle one tire shine. waterless washer for windows. meguiars liquid gold wax. makes the car look like its from the factory. only thing about waxing a new car might be swirling the clear coat.
how long do i have to wait in order to prevent the clear coat from swirling?
Old 05-21-2004, 06:20 PM

To reduce swirls use a back and forth motion rather then a circular one
Old 05-21-2004, 07:24 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX
i definetly recommend the california duster for pollen removal and dirt removal after a storm. its quick, works well, and saves you from washing your car so frequently. i have a black wrx and it collects dirt like a magnet, but i can clean it off in about 10 minutes w/ the duster.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:45 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX
do you really need the HD cleanse before applying zymol for the first time or is that just a ploy to rake in more money?? never used a multi-stage wax.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:56 PM

You really should use it. The car will be smooth as glass after using it (you must apply wax after using HD) and it enhances the look. If you read up on the website a lot of the stuff kind of sounds iffy.....but over the years I've found them to be pretty credible, like when they talk about the curing of the wax.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: "the loud one"
hmm...a full car detail day takes me about...hmm lets see...30mins to wash/dry car...1 1/2hrs to wax/rain-x/tire dress the car...and 45mins to vac/clean/dress the interior...

EXTERIOR

1. blue coral car wash soap...meguiars gold class soap...doesn't really matter to me...just as long as its not dishwashing soap...hahahahaha...

2. i dry the car off with a leaf blower...which has only been used for drying off cars not blowing leaves...hahaha...i drove around a durango b4 my suby...and damn...is it a b*tch to dry off with a chamoi or absorber...so it just became a habit of drying car with a leaf blower...

3. after leaf blower...i use the absorber to dry off little crevices (spelling?) and the inside of the doors, gas tank, trunk, and hood to get rid of water that creeps into the cracks...

4. WAX...meguiars gold class good stuff...i remove the wax residue from plastic parts with some spray from ACS (auto chem systems) good stuff...a soft bristle tooth brush will help get wax residue from around emblems and such...microfiber works good when removing wax...

5. RAIN-X...good stuff...trips me out on rainy nights when the water just gets blown up...and the street lights reflect light off the drops and it looks like something from star trek when they go really fast through a starfield...hahahahahaahhaha

6. TIRE DRESSING...from ACS (auto chem systems) in waipahu...good stuff ...gives the shine w/out the crap residue geting all over your freshly washed car...

INTERIOR:

1. VAC up all the junk on the rug...

2. clean and dress up the dash and doors with armor-all wipes...

3. a quick shot of fabreze auto and i'm done...

Last edited by .:: 808 STi ::.; 05-22-2004 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:55 AM

Car Info: 04sti
where can i get them rain-x stuff?
Old 05-22-2004, 11:05 AM

Car Info: '04 JBP STi
walmart, daiei, longs, star market....yep. Leaf Blower!? hahaha
Old 05-22-2004, 11:30 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
I need a duster. I just washed my wifes car, and I don't feel like doing mine too. It just has dust on it from my trip to Boulder.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:43 AM

Car Info: '97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Man, I must be the slowest waxer in the world. I rarely, rarely ever wax my car because it takes me forever. And that's even using a random orbital buffer. To do my whole car would probably take me 3 hours or so for a single coat.

I do need to do something to get rid of all the water spots on my car. Even after a thorough washing there are permanent spots. At least the car is silver, so they don't stand out too bad, but I know they're there, and that's all that matters. Will a clay bar do the trick?

Pat Olsen
'97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Old 05-23-2004, 01:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: "the loud one"
Talking

Originally Posted by RAGEWRX
walmart, daiei, longs, star market....yep. Leaf Blower!? hahaha

yup...a leaf blower...an electric one...good stuff...

Quick Reply: List your best detailing products and cleaning tips