HIDs for Base 2013 WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 12:21 AM

Car Info: 2013 WRX
HIDs for Base 2013 WRX?

Hey Everyone,

I was just curious as if anyone has run an aftermarket HID kit on their 2011+ WRX? I am just asking hypothetically as I know they produce glare to oncoming cars. Is it just plug and play? What did you have to do? If anyone is running HIDs did you have to disable your DRLs and if so how do you disable them? Thanks in advance. Much appreciation.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:18 AM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
Usually they arent plug and play BUT in the case of my 2005 wrx this is what I would recommend. When buying the kit grab a HID wiring harness off ebay. Comes with a relay and wires and such. This way the power is taken directly from your battery vs expecting the stock wires being able to support your HID. From my ebay kits experience they are not plug and play. I would say go to subaru and buy another stock bulb harness. This is what plugs to the bulb and then to the cars harness. cut the bulb side and solder it into the aftermarket harness as the 12v switch to activate the relay thus drawing power from the battery and sending to HID ballasts that send power to the bulbs.

confusing?
Maybe ill draw up what i mean

Disabling DRL, again in my 05 wrx, was not a problem. Just 1 wire connector and poof...disabled. With the ebay harness keeping the DRL isnt really a problem as your not having to deal with flickering and what not
Old 07-29-2013, 02:19 AM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
sti headlights. Everything else is **** and it just decreases the value of your car
Old 07-29-2013, 05:23 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by islandREX808
Hey Everyone,

I was just curious as if anyone has run an aftermarket HID kit on their 2011+ WRX? I am just asking hypothetically as I know they produce glare to oncoming cars. Is it just plug and play? What did you have to do? If anyone is running HIDs did you have to disable your DRLs and if so how do you disable them? Thanks in advance. Much appreciation.
If you know they will glare, why are you set on "hypothetically" running them?

You need STI headlights, a retrofit, or WRX Premium HID headlights.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:26 PM

Car Info: GR.SEDAN
Originally Posted by islandREX808
Hey Everyone,

As I've seen it can be done as plug n play (35w kits) and yes it will look and PERFORM (because that's the point of hid right? ) like crap, not to mention the oncoming glare because a halogen reflector isn't made for hid bulb output. A 55w kit would preferably pull power directly from the battery, especially if you're running d2x style bulbs

Iirc the '11 wrx has a separate high and low beam meaning you can keep your halogen drl and run a hid low beam but if you want to disable drl for an hid high beam best to Google the solution, millions of threads that I can't recall.

Your least expensive proper way to do it is buy some v5 morimoto projectors on Amazon (currently 75 shipped) and a 50 buck hid kit, that way the output is properly done
Old 07-29-2013, 10:33 PM

Car Info: 2010 Impreza 2.5i Premium Boosted
DDM tuning, plug and play. The only problem I had was you need to reverse polarity on the connectors. Easy and cheap. I've upgraded and retrofit since then but they worked good when I had them. At the least do the "squirrel finder mod" if you put HID in your halogen projectors.