Heat wrap help and suggestions for header and uppipe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 04:04 PM

Car Info: Impreza WRX Hatchback
Heat wrap help and suggestions for header and uppipe?

Hey howzit i-club members! I needed some help with suggestions on width & length measurements to use for heat wraps. Also what companies to go with, for Ex: DEI or Thermotec? I'll be wrapping my headers and uppipe. I know for sure the 2" width will wrap the uppipe because of its straight design, but I was thinking about going with 1" width to get around the bends and joints for the headers. Using the 2" might not have much of a tight fit compared to the 1" width.

Over lap length should be 1/4" right? I know DEI heat wraps made a 1/4" guideline to overlap.

Whats good a good length for both headers and uppipe: 2"x50' or 2"x25' (Uppipe) and 1"x25-50' (Headers).

Mahalo for your help i-club members!
Old 05-21-2013, 04:20 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
You could go the route i went and send the header and up to swain tech and have a longer lasting thermal barrier that doesn't become a wick if oil spills on it and wont need to be redone in a couple of years. You can read lots of For and against opinions on header wrap. If you are going to wrap them, Go with 2 inch DEI Titanium wrap. Wrapping the up pipe is very straight forward i would suggest the 25 foot roll. The header is a different story. How you plan to wrap it will dictate how much wrap to get. I would suggest wrapping each primary tube individually like in this picture.
Name:  Headerwrapsm.jpg
Views: 1740
Size:  98.9 KB
Check this site out. it is a wrap calculator. It helps to give you a ballpark idea.
Exhaust and Header Pipe Wrap Calculator | Heatshield Products

Hope this helps.

Skizz
Old 05-21-2013, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
You could go the route i went and send the header and up to swain tech and have a longer lasting thermal barrier that doesn't become a wick if oil spills on it and wont need to be redone in a couple of years. You can read lots of For and against opinions on header wrap. If you are going to wrap them, Go with 2 inch DEI Titanium wrap. Wrapping the up pipe is very straight forward i would suggest the 25 foot roll. The header is a different story. How you plan to wrap it will dictate how much wrap to get. I would suggest wrapping each primary tube individually like in this picture.

Check this site out. it is a wrap calculator. It helps to give you a ballpark idea.
Exhaust and Header Pipe Wrap Calculator | Heatshield Products

Hope this helps.

Skizz

Thanks for the help Skizz! Bigger understanding on how I'm going to do mines.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:31 PM

Look into swain tech.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
Look into swain tech.
Will do! Thanks for your help.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:51 PM

Car Info: STI
+ 1 for swaintech. The downtime is high, but the coating is no joke.
You can ask dysfunctionaldoll. I dont think she wanted to spend the money on it but was surprised at the results.

If not swaintech, the DEI titanium wrap. Don't get the fiberglass stuff. You can get it locally at Orielly.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by reido
+ 1 for swaintech. The downtime is high, but the coating is no joke.
You can ask dysfunctionaldoll. I dont think she wanted to spend the money on it but was surprised at the results.

If not swaintech, the DEI titanium wrap. Don't get the fiberglass stuff. You can get it locally at Orielly.
thanks for the suggestion!
Old 06-07-2013, 03:22 PM

Car Info: 2012 Subaru WRX
Don't mean to threadjack but since were on the topic of heat wraps, is it pointless to heat wrap your downpipe? I am getting an invidia catted downpipe divorced wastegate and aftermarket heatshield, and was wondering if the heat shield is sufficient to keep temps down in that area.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by plestin0
Don't mean to threadjack but since were on the topic of heat wraps, is it pointless to heat wrap your downpipe? I am getting an invidia catted downpipe divorced wastegate and aftermarket heatshield, and was wondering if the heat shield is sufficient to keep temps down in that area.
its not pointless but its also not necessary either. I wrapped my Perrin catless DP with DEI Titanium wrap because i had enough laying around to do so. If you decide you want to, You dont need to wrap the entire DP you can wrap half, the most important section is the top half near the turbo. that area of the DP will see the most heat. if you want to though you can wrap the entire DP.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:30 PM

Car Info: 0[[XXXXoXXXX]]0
[QUOTE=plestin0;3409554] I am getting an invidia catted downpipe divorced wastegate and aftermarket heatshield...QUOTE]

From my interwebz searching, wrapping a CAT, hi flow or not, is bad juju. they're designed to have at least some heat loss to the air around them. Now, if the heatshield is separated from the CAT, then maybe wrap that, but not the cat itself. wrap up to the edge of the cat, sure.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:41 PM

[QUOTE=oaklandish_WRX;3409575]
Originally Posted by plestin0
I am getting an invidia catted downpipe divorced wastegate and aftermarket heatshield...QUOTE]

From my interwebz searching, wrapping a CAT, hi flow or not, is bad juju. they're designed to have at least some heat loss to the air around them. Now, if the heatshield is separated from the CAT, then maybe wrap that, but not the cat itself. wrap up to the edge of the cat, sure.
If you are wrapping a catted DP, you definitely do not wrap the cat. You wrap from the turbo flange to the cat and then you can wrap after the cat to the flange or just leave the section after the cat alone. and there is definitely no need to wrap the rest of the exhaust.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:29 PM

Car Info: Bugeye Wagon - VF39'd
From a performance standpoint wrapping the DP is pretty pointless. However, I think it is worthwhile to do. Wrapping the DP will help keep from cooking the inboard CV boot. Which just totally came apart on my car. It'll help keep the underhood temps down a bit too.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:05 AM

Car Info: FXT/ 1999 Legacy L /2007 OB/ 71 240z
Swain all the way, I had jet hot on my z's 6-1's and after 2 track days it was starting to flake off... :/