Flagrant abuse of power...HPD

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 06:22 AM

Car Info: 2002 Silver WRX
Just to comment a bit. Yes, I agree with everyone on the board that there are, and always will be a few individuals in any profession who take advantage of their positions. Police Officers, unfortunately, are one of the most visible and under appreciated professions. I would estimate that 99% of Police contact with the general public is under negative circumstances, either someone broke the law or he/she has been an unfortunate victim of a crime. So for me, a skewed perception or plain dislike of Police in general is understandable. And yes, I agree with everyone that HPD has been taking one too many hits recently with bad decisions and unfortunate circumstances.

However, I want everyone to know that most HPD Officers honestly try, everyday, to keep you and everyone else in your community safe. I can honestly say that the training we receive to become police officers in Hawaii are some of the most difficult and comprehensive in the nation. Hawaii is also consistently ranked among the top in the nation when it comes to police training. My recruit class graduated with about 36 officers from 2000 possible candidates.

There's alot of pressure and negative baggage that comes along with the job. Nationally, Police Officers are more likely to commit suicide, get a divorce, get certain types of cancers, and die after retirement that any other profession. I've personally been punched, kicked, spit on, bit, even received death threats while on duty. I've seen and experienced things that I wish no one has to ever endure. But you know what, I love my job.

I'm answering this thread not to protect HPD, but to maybe shed a different light on the matter. To Rexstang, I'm truly sorry about your unfortunate run in with HPD. And anyone on this board is always welcome to ask me any questions pertaining to the law. If I can't answer it, i'll find someone who can. I just hope you don't let a few bad apples and instances ruin your perception of a great department.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:03 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
The degree I recieved this past may is a preparatory one for those going into the law enforcement fields. I've written papers, talked to police officers and even have friends and family in police departments here and on the mainland. I will agree with hslin and bao ling that police officers are underpaid and overworked (need I mention the bus drivers?).

However, while they are in the most visible of occupations in the public saftey sector, there is no excuse for what happened with Rexstang. When you are right and a cop is wrong, the situation turns out just like it did with Rexstang... Dude, I think you should go for it and report that son of a ***** and do whatever you can. I'm behind you and support you...and I appreciate your well- written statement.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:39 AM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
it's interesting reading what the two officers wrote, ....... it almost seems as if the were in the military.
If there is something we, being in the military, can understand, it is a pure hatred and dislike in us, in general. for example, you think that all the "patriotism" found after 9-11 is "real"? ... hardly. To people who have been stationed around the country and around the World, ... we experience the prejudice from all types of people. Spit at and cursed at? At least you can understand what they are saying! (most of the time ) HELL, depending upon where you're at, ... you can't even score any punany b/c "you're a sailor".

now, I'm not saying that [I]everyone[I] hates the military, .... but you get the idea.
As for Dan's comment about HPD being on the lower end of forces he's worked with, .... well, from what I've seen also from around the country and world, I'd have to agree this is the most corrupt police department I've ever seen.

anyhow, ... ... if you don't pull me over and give me "4 tickets at a time", .... that'd be nice of you.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
......... i get more than one ticket every time I get pulled over, ..... they always think of something (improper lane change b/c I was changing lanes TOO fast-gotta remember to count to 10 etc,etc), .... and the only car that I've had that technically needs recon, I haven't even gotten a ticket in.

This thread is for Jayson to try and figure out a way to try and solve someone's lack of integrity, so I won't pollute it will all of my complaints, .... but he (Jayson) probably knows better than most about me being harassed by cops here, ... it's rediculous.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:19 PM
First 12sec WRX in HI

Car Info: 12.93@106.71
First of all, sorry to get everyone riled up. Thanks for providing the information I need. I will be contacting internal affairs.

To hslin and bao ling, I don't have anything against police officers in general. I know there are good and bad apples with every profession. I ran into a bad apple. Did I have a road rage incident, yes. Was I going to become violent, no. Would I have even turned around if the other driver didn't give me attitude while he was cutting me off, no. Was it right for him to use his profession and threaten to give me tickets or take me downtown? Hell NO!

I'm in very much the same position, If I'm involved in an incident with a Petty Officer in town should I use my status in the military to threaten disciplinary action on him. No. It is neither right nor legal.

Although this has nothing to do with my original comments, statements have been made that cops are under appreciated and underpaid. I would have to agree. You provide a great service and are not appreciated for it. For that I am sorry.

But I would like to highlight something as well the next time you pull over someone in the military. Do you consider the fact that many of our military members are dying on a daily basis in training or on foreign soil protecting our way of life? Do you realize many of them are living under the poverty line? A couple hundred dollars in tickets really hurts them. A night in jail can ruin their careers. Do you consider that when you come across a young military member? Not here in Hawaii. Many of my sailors will agree that HPD treats them far worse than other law enforcement departments do at other duty stations. If someone has a flagrant disregard for the law you need to do your job, no question. But when you pull someone over for a simple infraction keep in mind he may have just returned from doing a year overseas where a couple of his buddies have died and he still has to live on base with chump change in his pocket. So don't talk to me about being under appreciated!

Last edited by Rexstang; 09-09-2003 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:38 PM
First 12sec WRX in HI

Car Info: 12.93@106.71
On a more positive note, I have met a few outstanding police officers in my time. I've been pulled over for a simple speeding ticket in both Georgia and Kansas and on both occasions the officers saw that I was serving my country just like they were and let me go with a warning. So a big to Kansas and Georgia! And yes I've been pulled over in HI twice the first time I was given a speeding ticket, 67 in a 55 along with a no front license plate ticket and a no recon ticket for a total of $227. On occasion #2 I was pulled over by a bike cop late one Saturday night near HRP where I paid to race legally bye the way, going home. He pulled me over in an obvious speed trap. 5 cops within a 2 mile radius leads me to believe it was a trap. Anyway he pulls me over and says to me that he observed me speeding, when I mentioned I was obeying the posted speed limit and asked him how fast I was driving, he decided only to give me a no recon ticket and a no front licence plate ticket instead, $110. Must have been because I am a young looking asian guy in an modified import. Hawaii can learn something from Kansas and Georgia.

Please don't think I don't appreciate our boys in blue, I really do. I just don't have respect for people in any profession that abuse the power and authority that was given to them. Nor could I ever be a police officer myself, I obviously don't have the patience. So here is a big to all the upstanding police officers out there that have to deal with an under appreciative public. Its not much but you get the point.

BTW, how do I get one of those red badge stickers to put in my back window?

Last edited by Rexstang; 09-09-2003 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
yeah i really hate how some of hpd use the do as i say not as i do rule. for example their tinted windows I know that can't be legal. oh yeah and doing more than the posted speed limit. just thought i'd throw my 2 cents in.

Jess
Old 09-09-2003, 10:09 PM

Car Info: 2002 Silver WRX
Bao Ling is right. Not all of us are tag happy! I personally give more warnings then citations, it's just not what i'm into. I would rather bust a drug dealer then tag someone for speeding, that's just me.

I agree that the Military is grossly underappreciated, especially in Hawaii. And I can honestly say that I have not tagged any Military personnel post 9-11. I have let alot of military personnel go on various infractions and have gone out of my way to help them in appreciation for their duty to our country. To all of our Military personnel, Much Mahalos!

To Rexstang, HPD Officers should be held to a higher standard, and the incident should never have occurred. I hope everything gets resolved.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:14 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Originally posted by bao ling
As for Dan, I totally disagree with you on it being the worst police department in the country. I'm sure you could find worst. I could say the same thing about MP's on base who call me for every crime that happens there because they don't want to deal with it. I also know that the majority of MP's are good and there are some stupid ones, as with anything in life.
I didn't say worst in the country, I said.........

Originally posted by Mach5WRX
I have lived all over the would, and traveled over the US. So I think I can say this without anyone having too much of a problem with it.

HPD is the worst PD I have ever seen/worked with, in the whole world - Period!

It's a shame too, because I have meet some really good HPD officers.
......."worst PD I had ever seen/worked with"

Now as far as this...."I could say the same thing about MP's on base who call me for every crime that happens there because they don't want to deal with it. "

MP's only have jurisdiction over U.C.M.J for most things.(Hawaii state has our hands tied) So even on post we sometimes need local law enforcement help. That's about as much as I can say over the internet. But if you need more info, I'll explain it better in person sometime.