Final News on Rev-Labs steering racks:

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 09:59 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
Final News on Rev-Labs steering racks:

The price is just about USD $1900 before the core exchange. You will recieve $500 back after you mail your steering rack to them. I am trying to find out if it is cheaper to mail your rack in before hand. As soon as I get new information I'll tell you guys. It will take them 2 weeks to build the rack, because they have none for the STi in stock. I've read lots of reviews and everyone said that they wanted and even quicker rack as soon as they got used to theirs. That is why I'll be going with an 11.5:1, or 2 turns to lock.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:57 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
Not sure

I can justify the price at this time. A few other things higher on my list.

San
Old 01-26-2005, 08:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
This is one of those areas where I usually keep my mouth shut, but you're a friend so I felt like I should try and talk you out of this.

It's not as though a tighter ratio wouldn't be more desirable. I'd pay a good bit for that capability (although, like San, I don't know if it would be #1 on my priority list. I'm thinking I should get her running first) But anything over $1k, I'd tell you is not worth it.

You know, Gary Shehan hasn't upgraded his steering rack, I don't think, and he's kicking ***.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:10 PM

Actually

Pat, I did a search on RevLab and Gary Sheehan has used their rack (not sure if that is still the case). I think it's a mod worth considering, but not on the top of my list at this point.

San
Old 01-27-2005, 02:41 AM
VIP Member

I really have nothing left to do to my car. I have wanted this rack for a long time, and I should have bought it instead of the stupid 8k POS upgrade I did! I'm parking my STi, tearing out my old rack, and mailing it as soon as I figure out how to do it. My car still runs like ****, and will until APS pulls my new wastegate actuator out of a god damn kangaroo pouch.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:50 AM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru STI
Yes, we used the Rev-Labs steering rack. It's a great piece of hardware that certainly made my life easier behind the wheel. A quicker steering ratio means less flailing around in the cockpit.

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.teamSMR.com
Old 01-27-2005, 07:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
I withdraw any earlier statements and apologize for misspelling Sheehan.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:57 PM

Car Info: 02 Wrx
how did it go from $800 to $1900 (is this the group buy price)?

i'm still interested, but you lack INFO!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:12 PM
VIP Member

Okay the price went up $200 overall or something like that. I ordered mine last week, so when I have all of the facts I'll post and give everyone the details.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
OK, not to poop on a system recommended by a professional, but I have an alternative (read: cheaper) option. A friend of mine (actually a couple) out here in CO run an SCCA rally car. They've put together a steering-rack quickener for WAY cheaper. His name is Erik and he goes by flooredsubaru on www.awdpirates.net

Here is the link to L and E
I have no financial interest in these guys. I just know that it is rally tested, and a couple of friends of mine drive with this quickener. It is a good deal and a good product.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:57 PM

Thanks,

bang for buck that looks good.

San
Old 02-04-2005, 09:06 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by EtchyLives
OK, not to poop on a system recommended by a professional, but I have an alternative (read: cheaper) option. A friend of mine (actually a couple) out here in CO run an SCCA rally car. They've put together a steering-rack quickener for WAY cheaper. His name is Erik and he goes by flooredsubaru on www.awdpirates.net

Here is the link to L and E
I have no financial interest in these guys. I just know that it is rally tested, and a couple of friends of mine drive with this quickener. It is a good deal and a good product.
I checked it out and it just doesn't look that sound. I would rather have a real quick steering rack. I really would like to try cars with both on them and see what the difference is, but since we don't have that chance, I already ordered my rev-labs rack. It should be here next Friday, at least I think so. Can't remember what ship date they gave me.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
It's a good system, but you don't have the chance to try them out, so I understand. I know that Erik tested it for two years on his car, and another friend of mine has it, so if I remember, I'll post up my review once I take Harvey's car (my friends car) out for a spin.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:22 PM

uuuhhhmmm,

"it just doesn't look that sound?" You seriously need to step off that high horse, the fall could kill you. If you have some engineering credentials and first-hand experience with both, you can add intelligent banter. Otherwise, keep an open mind. Rally tested and recommended by a member I have far more confidence in. Spending more money doesn't always get you a better product. Do you honestly think the RevLab rack is 5+ times better (400+ vs 1900+)?

San
Old 02-05-2005, 02:03 AM
VIP Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by oldmansan
"it just doesn't look that sound?" You seriously need to step off that high horse, the fall could kill you. If you have some engineering credentials and first-hand experience with both, you can add intelligent banter. Otherwise, keep an open mind. Rally tested and recommended by a member I have far more confidence in. Spending more money doesn't always get you a better product. Do you honestly think the RevLab rack is 5+ times better (400+ vs 1900+)?

San
San, two things, I checked this thing out a few weeks ago when a friend of mine linked me to the steering rack quickner post on AWD Pirates. 1. As of my last reading it had not been tried on any fly-by-wire cars, i.e. the '04 STi. Rev Labs has years of R&D already behind their product, and I know it will WORK on my car the way they say it will. I am glad to see some competion to bring prices down. I know more expensive isn't always better, so I hope you buy this. Then we both can drive each others cars to compare and contrast the steering racks. The thing to me is, and I know you'll correct me if I am wrong, but these are only "quickners" not actual quick steering racks. A guy on the forums said there was a small "dead spot" with the quickners, I don't want that. San, I really respect your opinion because I believe you know what you are talking about, but I am pretty tall so I think I will survive the fall...

Quick Reply: Final News on Rev-Labs steering racks: