FEELER: HIIC hiking adventure tours

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 07:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
FEELER: HIIC hiking adventure tours

Long story short, I got a request by 2 members to see about reviving the HIIC hiking adventures.

Lead Hiker is this guy:
kolohe04STi

Just kiddin about the bear claws hike, our lead hiker promised us if there's a handful of interested parties, he'll introduce us to some easy to novice hikes. If not, no worries, you can be just like me and call for helicopter rescue, its free! lol

Date and time will be pending on how many interested parties are there.

Thanks for your time!!

Last edited by dub81; 08-12-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:54 PM

Car Info: S14
Pffft Bear Grylls ain't got nothing on Ted
Old 08-12-2011, 08:05 PM

Car Info: STi 2009 Subie
I'd love to hike the Island! Hope this works out! Count me in for two people!
Old 08-13-2011, 01:22 AM

Car Info: 04 Java Pearl
Count me in!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
Originally Posted by dub81
Long story short, I got a request by 2 members to see about reviving the HIIC hiking adventures.

Just kiddin about the bear claws hike, our lead hiker promised us if there's a handful of interested parties, he'll introduce us to some easy to novice hikes. If not, no worries, you can be just like me and call for helicopter rescue, its free! lol

Date and time will be pending on how many interested parties are there.

Thanks for your time!!
Walter, i just need to clarify that what i'm thinking of a hike is not a easy or novice hike because you can do that in kapiolani park. but i am thinking more of an intermediate hike like Stairway to Heaven via Moanalua Valley?

I will give more details later on if there is any interest. For now, start working on your cardio.

Name:  IMG_20110213_132612.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  254.1 KB
Old 08-13-2011, 10:27 PM

Car Info: S14
Originally Posted by kolohe_04sti
Walter, i just need to clarify that what i'm thinking of a hike is not a easy or novice hike because you can do that in kapiolani park. but i am thinking more of an intermediate hike like Stairway to Heaven via Moanalua Valley?

I will give more details later on if there is any interest. For now, start working on your cardio.

Wow that's beautiful, my girl and I always wanted to go up there but it was always under construction, to bad its open when she's 5 months pregnant because I don't think I would last Hahaha
Old 08-13-2011, 10:49 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by inspire420
Wow that's beautiful, my girl and I always wanted to go up there but it was always under construction, to bad its open when she's 5 months pregnant because I don't think I would last Hahaha
hey ryan, congrats on the (soon to be) new baby! but actually the stairway is NOT open. this is the reason why it is only accessible via moanalua vallley, which is a very long way. we are just planning on going probably halfway thru the stairs to get the experience but we are going to go back up towards where we came from. you will risk getting a tresspassing charge if you go all the way down the stairs which now has a guard posted 24/7.
i am taking some friends (outside of hiic) in september so i figured i might as well make it one time and see who else is interested.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:51 AM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
I want to, but whats Cardio?

Honestly, I think I could make it, but I might not enjoy it too much. How far/ How long is this hike Ted?
Old 08-14-2011, 06:14 AM
VIP Member

ahhhh....ok
Old 08-14-2011, 10:31 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by YuudaiSTI
I want to, but whats Cardio?

Honestly, I think I could make it, but I might not enjoy it too much. How far/ How long is this hike Ted?
ryan, this is more of an adventure hike and i will be straight up with you that this is not an easy hike at all. is it doable? my son did it and he has never done any big boy hikes before. if you are saying that you can make it, then you will. how long is it? this is an all day hike (10+ hours with lots of breaks).

will you enjoy it? people have different concepts of enjoyment. this could be the most wonderful experience you've had or this could be a day in hell. just remember, this is the most beautiful hike in the island bar none. and i have gone to almost all major hikes here. this is something i can share with some friends who are willing to do it. but to get there is the challenge and if you have an adventurous spirit, then let it out. you will get all the mud in the world, you will have to do steep climbs (walking of course, no rockclimbing here), you will be slip and sliding, you will be walking on a ridge so you should be able to handle heights, you will be going down on a mountain with ropes (very doable), i mean, this is disneyland for me!

now what do i mean by cardio? you must have at least done some hikes to get the experience, or you are active like you go to the gym and do some form of running, i would say 2 miles in 15min or under is always a good average? look up my shots in FB titled "Haiku Stairs" to get an idea of how awesome this hike is. but you have at least more than 1.5 months to prepare, so lots of time.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:02 AM

Car Info: 1998 RS STi
Originally Posted by kolohe_04sti
ryan, this is more of an adventure hike and i will be straight up with you that this is not an easy hike at all. is it doable? my son did it and he has never done any big boy hikes before. if you are saying that you can make it, then you will. how long is it? this is an all day hike (10+ hours with lots of breaks).

will you enjoy it? people have different concepts of enjoyment. this could be the most wonderful experience you've had or this could be a day in hell. just remember, this is the most beautiful hike in the island bar none. and i have gone to almost all major hikes here. this is something i can share with some friends who are willing to do it. but to get there is the challenge and if you have an adventurous spirit, then let it out. you will get all the mud in the world, you will have to do steep climbs (walking of course, no rockclimbing here), you will be slip and sliding, you will be walking on a ridge so you should be able to handle heights, you will be going down on a mountain with ropes (very doable), i mean, this is disneyland for me!

now what do i mean by cardio? you must have at least done some hikes to get the experience, or you are active like you go to the gym and do some form of running, i would say 2 miles in 15min or under is always a good average? look up my shots in FB titled "Haiku Stairs" to get an idea of how awesome this hike is. but you have at least more than 1.5 months to prepare, so lots of time.
I went with Ted on the I-club Haiku Stairs hike a while back, Yes its a long hike, It took about 7 hours. I bet Ted and his usual crew could do it in 5 hours, but I slowed them down a bit. Overall the actual stair's section was the easy part. Getting there was harder than descending.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:01 PM

Car Info: GR.SEDAN
I'd be down (depending on the day what i'm scheduled for) but would always want to squeeze in a hike! (even if it's an all day thing)

/subscribed for updates
Old 08-15-2011, 09:39 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Deraj_53
I went with Ted on the I-club Haiku Stairs hike a while back, Yes its a long hike, It took about 7 hours. I bet Ted and his usual crew could do it in 5 hours, but I slowed them down a bit. Overall the actual stair's section was the easy part. Getting there was harder than descending.
thx for the input jared. but yeah, u did good when you went with us and you kept going. but the reason why it took us 7 hours is because we went all the way down and drove from there. we can't do this anymore as they are now freely giving tresspassing tickets to hikers. this is what i am saying that the plan is to go halfway down then go back up and out on moanalua valley via the middle ridge which should take at least 9-10 hours depending on the pace.

Originally Posted by tesh
I'd be down (depending on the day what i'm scheduled for) but would always want to squeeze in a hike! (even if it's an all day thing)

/subscribed for updates

this is happening on a weekend probably the 3rd week of September.

Last edited by kolohe_04sti; 08-15-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:05 AM
VIP Member

BUMP TTT for anyone interested/fully committed..
Old 08-19-2011, 11:36 PM

Car Info: '05 WRX Wagon
Down. Get a date and I wanna be there. Haven't been hiking in a while, my cardio is muuuuch better than the last time I did koko head haha.

Quick Reply: FEELER: HIIC hiking adventure tours