Evap system delete

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 08:59 AM

Car Info: 04' wrb WRX sedan
Evap system delete

Has anyone here done this? I can't fill my tank like a normal person would. After about 5 gallons the tank acts as if it was full. Something about a purge valve not venting. I've been searching around a lot on NASIOC. I know that you have to delete some codes and you drop about 7 pounds of crap. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with this?
Old 02-19-2012, 02:16 AM

Car Info: 1998 RS STi
Your car just won't quit giving you problems huh? I'd check the lines to and from the rectangular rear charcoal canister under the rear bumper. Make sure they arn't clogged.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Is there any symptoms that arises after you fill or try to fill up. Like for example, you have a hard time starting up after filling up gas?

Like jared said, try check your evap lines starting from your charcoal canister near your right rear wheel. there's 3 lines connecting to the box. Probably one of your lines is clogged with debris. Try and blow some compressed air into the evap lines.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:38 PM

Car Info: The Bus, Country Express Fool!
The purge valve would not cause the tank to not fill. This valve is contolled by the ECM, and since your car is not on when you are putting gas it shouldnt be causing your problem. What it sounds like is the either the vent valve or the shut off valve is bad. Or one of the evap lines from the vent valve or shut off valve is clogged. Or you have a clogged canister or line to the canister.

Why?

As fuel enters the fuel tank, the tank inside pressure increases. When the inside pressure becomes higher than atmospheric pressure, the port of the vent valve opens, allowing the fuel vapors to be introduced into the canister through the vent line. The fuel vapors are absorbed by the charcoal in the canister, so the air discharges for the drain valve contains no fuel. When the filler gun is inserted, the shut off valve closes the evaporation line. (Taken directly from the Subaru FSM)

Last edited by Shiba; 02-19-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:35 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. I think this car is possessed. So, I'll try to run some air through the lines first. If that doesn't work I'm gonna try to just rip it all out. The purge valve is only there to purge those fumes from the canister into the intake. So that'll go too. Less crap in the engine bay
Old 02-19-2012, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by dub81
Is there any symptoms that arises after you fill or try to fill up. Like for example, you have a hard time starting up after filling up gas?

Like jared said, try check your evap lines starting from your charcoal canister near your right rear wheel. there's 3 lines connecting to the box. Probably one of your lines is clogged with debris. Try and blow some compressed air into the evap lines.
It seems to start up ok. But in the afternoon when I go to drive home it doesn't run so great. Hopefully it's just a tune thing.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:57 PM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
I have the same issue. Can only get to a full tank on certain pumps. Everything run fine but it's kind of irritating not being able to full tank the car if I want to.

In for solution.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:23 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
check the valve by the tank too, they can get clogged with something as small as a spider web.
my gc does the exact thing... and its because of the dust from rallyx.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Originally Posted by Labmonkey
It seems to start up ok. But in the afternoon when I go to drive home it doesn't run so great. Hopefully it's just a tune thing.
It might be a tune thing or it might not be, its hard to say until you elminate the obvious.

Ryan, maybe try pumping gas the next time slowly. It may sound weird but when pumping gas slowly(also getting your gas money's worth), your minimizing the vapors created while your pumping gas. The fuel cut thingy ma-bob only stops pumping gas when the pressure in the tank pushes back up from your gas tank to the fuel cut thingy ma-bob on the gas pump.

Ive also heard a trick where you turn the nozzle "upside down" which points the fuel down the tube instead of against the back of it.

As far as pumping gas slowly, taking that the gas hasnt expanded that much(colder temperature vs warmer temperature), is less agitated meaning it contains lesser vapor, versus pumping gas at a higher rate, which the gas is agitated so much that it contains more vapor, which is being sucked back into the underground tank so you your getting less gas for your money.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:26 AM

Yeah, I pulled all that crap out. Gas station in the am.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:17 AM

First time in 2 years I filled the tank with pulling the handle once. Pretty stoked! I have 2 cel's from it that I'll have Jared turn off when I get tuned. Take that SOA
Old 02-24-2012, 12:36 AM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
Sweet. You probably saved some weight too. Might do it for the fact that it's annoying and I can save some weight at AutoX!
Old 02-24-2012, 08:30 AM

Yeah , I guess it's like 8lbs that you drop off the car. I was worried about what was gonna happen when the tank topped off! I was happy that it just stopped and didn't make a mess.