Does checkers rent out OBD-II scan tools?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 04:17 AM

Car Info: Rust bucketo
Does checkers rent out OBD-II scan tools?

Does checkers rent out OBD-II scan tools? I've always heard they do but never tried ere' in hawaii

I thought an accessport would read CELS but I think I am SOL because apparently once you "turn off your car" it becomes a historic CEL that the accessport won't read.

Ahhh f0ck
Old 03-29-2006, 08:17 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
if you own an 02/03 wrx accessport then you will not have the ability to read "Historic" CEL codes. I had that same problem then spoke to cobb and decided to send it in for an upgrade in firmware. the firmware upgrade allowed me to view historic codes. this upgrade if i can remember correctly was $20 plus shipping.

checker does do free scanning and clearing of obdii codes. if you speak to a manager you might be able to get him/her to loan it to you as long as you leave your ID with them.

hope this helps..

Jon
Old 03-29-2006, 09:23 AM

Thank You for the help. The accessport seems to be a newer version for an 04'/05' (Box reads "04/05 FULL") but I believe that feature to read historic CEL's might not have been implemented for one reason or another. I did a little research and I *could* try clearing the code and let it re-trigger and read it immediately, but my engine seems really ill.

Shucks. Waipahu Checkers literally sucks, so i'll have to try another..

Well just for the heck if it (doubt i'll recieve any response) i'll post my problem.

Started my car up at work yesterday morning, idle seemed much higher then usual, about 1925rpm. And it didn't seem to drop either, rock solid. Moved out of my stall carefully, when I stopped and begun to move again, I had to give a little gas, from there, engine stumbled, CEL popped on, car stuttered. (was slipping clutch and giving gas to move in 1st). Almost total loss of throttle response below a certain range.. It seems the car doesn't respond below a certain throttle percentage. While moving, the car won't do anything if I push the gas 3-5% and will "catch" (feel like i've just jabbed the gas to accelerate) after I push it to 8%+. On the freeway, my car seemed to boost ok (did a quick 5psi throttle jab) so I think the turbo is ok? (I was thinking my engine ingested something!?)

At neutral idle, the RPM's bounce at about 0.5 hertz (1 cycle per 2 second) steadily from 750rpm to 1925rpm, but sometimes it "catches" and stays solid at 1925rpm without bouncing. Just as I got home, I listened to the racket my car made as my car idled at 1750rpm and it really seemed O.K as far as exhaust note. I turned the car off and got ahold of an accessport. Tried to read it to no avail. Then, saddened by this madness, I hoped it would go away and started it up again.. This time, the idle is steadily high, still about 1925, but the engine sounds like it is running on three cylinders. Not a smooth exhaust note with some stumbles and pops and bangs in between. Very depressing.

I'd like to add that through all of this, I am pretty sure the CEL/cruise lights didn't blink, so hopefully no detonation?

My plan is to try and get something to read the CEL and go from there. My plan B is to check my spark plugs. My plan C is to read up on IAC problems. My plan D is... well... I don't have one.

At this point I have nothing to point the finger at.

Thanks for the help, iNfEk and anyone.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:49 AM

well i just solved a similar problem or if not the SAME problem that you're describing. My car has been running fine for the longest time but that morning i decided to use it then started the car i noticed that the idle was unusually high! i thought nothing of it since it's been sitting for a while. after warming up it was still just under 2K (1950... possibly). Still no CEL at this point. as soon as i started pulling out of the driveway and made it onto the street i got a CEL and the idle got really bad. if i hold the gas at 1950-2000 the car hesitates really bad. since my accessport wasn't installed (unmarried for a bid) i couldn't check the CEL and decided to go to checkers. i pulled the code and it was p0519 or po519 and it came back as something wrong with my idle air control valve being the problem.

I then bought some INTAKE CLEANER from walmart. I cleaned the IAC valve (the top most sensor on your throttle body. it is a dull metal color and has a grey "L" shaped piece on it). I removed the 2 philips head screws (be careful since they are soft metal and can easily be stripped. i ended up using the largest flat head screw driver i could fit in there. upon taking the sensor i used the INTAKE CLEANER to clean and lubricate the sensor. this took a lot of time since the sensor chamber is very small. there is a lot of carbon deposits that build up in there causing the sensor to not be able to open or close correctly. after it was FULLY cleaned i lubricated it with a very small amount of WD-40 (keep in mind that this stuff is flammable). BEFORE installing the sensor back i verified if the gasket (silicone/rubber material) was still good. it was stretched and was NOT within the gasket holding area of the throttle body. since i didn't have a gasket (you can order it from subaruparts.com p/n: 22659AA120) i used some silicone GASKET MAKER. keep in mind that when you use this stuff do NOT apply to much as this can get into your WATER LINES (COOLANT) and can get into your intake manifold and clog it. the drying time is 1 hour and the FULL cure time is 24hours. after replacing the gasket (temporary until i can get one) i tested the car. the CEL went a way and the idle immediately changed to normal. I was :banana:

hope this helps out!

checkers was able to read and clear my CEL. give me a print out so that i know where to start my trouble shooting. i had the FSM so that made it some what easier to trouble shoot. god luck finding the IAC in the FSM though.

Jon
Old 03-29-2006, 11:38 AM

Tried cleaning the IAC and pfleuger waipahu says they don't have the part in stock there OR at the "warehouse".

So I just used some RTV also. My IACV o-ring was very stretched and it's hard to believe it fit in there.. not to mention seal. I hope this was the problem : /

Now to wait until it cures.

Thanks again.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by caterpill
Tried cleaning the IAC and pfleuger waipahu says they don't have the part in stock there OR at the "warehouse".

So I just used some RTV also. My IACV o-ring was very stretched and it's hard to believe it fit in there.. not to mention seal. I hope this was the problem : /

Now to wait until it cures.

Thanks again.
it should work provided that the CEL that you received was P0519. you can at least start your car to find out if the idle is better though!

pflugger won't have it and your best bet is to order it from subaru parts.com if they don't have it they usually get it within 2 days time if you order on a tuesday or thursday. then after they receive it on the following 2 days they'll ship it out!

I'll have to order a set if you want I can order you one as well.

Jon
Old 03-29-2006, 01:13 PM

Edit: Called checkers, $299 deposit required + $6 a day to rent. They'd better not tell me it's broken when I try to return it.

Last edited by caterpill; 03-29-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:58 PM

Shoots that sounds great. If you can do that, i'd greatly appreciate it. We can half the shipping costs? I need to replace it anyway, the o-ring is cut.

But I just started my car and the same problem persists. F0ck

I really wanted to bring my car down to checkers to get the code read if it worked out fine after starting it, but after close observation, I don't know if it's the turbo's problem.

I hear a muffled whining sound, like a vacuum cleaner coming from my turbo.. Also, theres some racket coming from that area too. Dammit. I think I need to pull my downpipe to see what's going on. The turbo seemed to get hot very quick though but i'm not sure if its the high idle that is heating it up.. After about 45sec-1 min, the back of the downpipe was too hot to touch.

Also initially it didn't start, I think it was because of the carb cleaner I sprayed down there.. Once it caught on, it was bogging and smelled like major gas. Then it SLOWLY approached the ~2k idle again.

Just to make sure, does it sound like anything internal-related? Like nothing that I would ruin by running it any more? I just want to make sure i'm not going to completely kill my engine.. by running it.

I am stumped but I think the running on three cylinders part may or may not be true. I haven't heard a subaru with one cylinder out so yeah.

Ok.. off to pull off the downpipe and check the plugs, I guess...

Edit: Called checkers, $299 deposit required + $6 a day to rent. They'd better not tell me it's broken when I try to return it.
dude... pm me your number so i can see what i can come up with and possibly help you out

Jon
Old 03-29-2006, 03:52 PM

Got it checked with a scan tool from checkers, P0519, Idle Air Control Valve (Fail-Safe)

OK, big sigh of relief. I got it now, Fail-Safe meaning the car will default to high rpm instead of it dying.

I think I didn't clean it good, and I didn't know I had to "unstuck" it. (I took it off and didn't know it was entirely the problem so didn't check if it was stuck, lol)

Thanks again.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:57 PM

Got it checked with a scan tool from checkers, P0519, Idle Air Control Valve (Fail-Safe)

OK, big sigh of relief. I got it now, Fail-Safe meaning the car will default to high rpm instead of it dying.

I think I didn't clean it good, and I didn't know I had to "unstuck" it. (I took it off and didn't know it was entirely the problem so didn't check if it was stuck, lol)

Thanks again.
well i searched for that part already and it's not a cheap one. it's 22650AA182 $236.83 plus you need the gasket.

i would suggest you clean it better.

I'll let you know if I can help you out later on today

Jon
Old 03-29-2006, 07:01 PM

I was tempted to take it apart but now that you posted the price its damn risky.

Thanks.

Last edited by caterpill; 03-29-2006 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:02 PM

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:45 PM

Car Info: car
hey, when u get your new one why dont u try to mess with the old one, see if u can get it to move?
Old 03-30-2006, 12:23 AM

I want to slap subaru in the face for making a complex $200 stepper-motor solenoid device that is prone to clogging with carbon deposits.. !

Nice car though. shucks..

EDIT: Car is up and running normally now. Culprit was a broken IACV, dunno how it broke, dunno why it broke, but it sure put a hole in my little wallet. Cleaning it didn't help.. Now that it was replaced, it works fine and dandy.

Last edited by caterpill; 03-31-2006 at 04:17 PM.