Compressor Surge Beware

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 02:04 AM

Car Info: 2004 STI
Compressor Surge Beware

Sorry so long,
Well, today was dyno day at Rads. Was both bad and good for the day. With my FP Green it only pulled 310whp. After the 3rd run, Jarrad (PDX) stated that the turbo is not runing right and there was a problem with the turbo . He stated that after hearing the bov releasing pressure (and where the sound was resultng from) that I was experiencing a compressor surge (spring rate too tight) to the turbo. After the tune we headed back to my house and pulled the downpipe to check the turbo. Sure enough the turbo shaft was damaged (brand new green turbo w/ 4000mi) due to the compressor surge.
The good thing was as we (thanks Brad and Jimmy for helping) removed the turbo, Jarrad noticed the hose leading from the wastegate actuator to the boost controller was burnt off from the heat of the turbo (hanging by a finger nail, hidden beneath the turbo where burnt). With the hose being disconnected there would be no signal to the boost controller from the waste gate actuator to monitor or reduce boost (no boost limit!) my engine would eventually blow from uncontrolled over boost .
Was a blessing that I did occur the compressor surge and damage to my turbo, so we found the damage hose that would have cost a new engine. Whew, that was an experience and a unreal coincidence ( I thank god).
Old 09-01-2007, 02:26 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
damn, that sucks... So what actually caused the compressor surge? The turbo being bad or the hose that was open? Are you going to contact FP regarding the turbo
Old 09-01-2007, 02:42 AM

Car Info: 04 XTi.............. Seats down..G's up
^^yeah no joke.....was your bpv spring too tight or was the hose pinched? def let us know.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by iNfEk
damn, that sucks... So what actually caused the compressor surge? The turbo being bad or the hose that was open? Are you going to contact FP regarding the turbo
My after market bov caused the compression surge and damage to my turbo (shaft was loose). The by product of removing the turbo hat evenng resulted in finding the burnt hose from the wastegate actuator to the boost controller (Jarrad found the broken hose while we were wrenching). Close call, for me Jarrad was not here only for the tune but literally saved my engine. Since PDX deals directly w/ FP he says they'll repair for about $200.00.
For me I'll stick with the stock bov, per Jarrad good till 24psi. He tuned for 21psi.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:51 AM

Car Info: car
i hope everyone has a chance to carefully read and understand this, a very good reason not to play with bovs... im gonna pull my downpipe and check my turbo too. i didnt see dan mention it, but the reason for the hose burning off was the original installer of the turbo used a silicone hose that was not meant to handle such high temps that the turbo produces. the reason for this hose being added is to change the inner diamerter of the stock hose to fit the aftermarket turbo. may be hard to understand through words. dan, we should take when you reinstall the turbo...
Old 09-01-2007, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by juniorsti
i hope everyone has a chance to carefully read and understand this, a very good reason not to play with bovs... im gonna pull my downpipe and check my turbo too. i didnt see dan mention it, but the reason for the hose burning off was the original installer of the turbo used a silicone hose that was not meant to handle such high temps that the turbo produces. the reason for this hose being added is to change the inner diamerter of the stock hose to fit the aftermarket turbo. may be hard to understand through words. dan, we should take when you reinstall the turbo...
Thanks for adding. Like Jimmy said FP supplies the adapter for the change in size of the hose (actuator to b/c), but did not supply the heat resistent hose. Jarrad says he sells'em but their expensive (small price to pay if you ask me).
Also, check your spring tension rate very carefully as to tight a tension may shorten your life of your turbo.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:32 PM

^^^^ BTW Jimmy, thanks for helping me wrench (Brad too)

Last edited by ojichan sti; 09-01-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Troll

Car Info: EVO 8 RS
hey man, when you were getting this surge, did you hear the turbo making any crazy noises at all? Like a series of small bangs? I know, surge doesn't always sound like an explosion, but surge that would kill a turbine shaft? Eek!

Last edited by Taiwan Turbo; 09-08-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Damn Dan, I heard about what happened but I didnt get to entire story!! Well really "thanks god"..Like they say everything happens for a reason and timing must have been on your side as this problem occured or was in its process when Jarrad was here!!
Old 09-08-2007, 11:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1995 Impreza L
Originally Posted by Taiwan Turbo
hey man, when you were getting this surge, did you hear the turbo making any crazy noises at all? Like a series of small bangs? I know, surge doesn't always sound like an explosion, but surge that would kill a turbine shaft? Eek!
Shaft had play, sounds like severe surge damage to me.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:21 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
I dont know much about them...

but are the FP turbo's using fluid bearings or ball-bearings??Jus wondering becaue I just seen checked their site and it doesnt state for the 16g-20g..

I'm not trying to start anything intentionally just as a side note..If I'm asking a stupid question, I apologize and let the flaming begin..

,walter
Old 09-09-2007, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by dub81
but are the FP turbo's using fluid bearings or ball-bearings??Jus wondering becaue I just seen checked their site and it doesnt state for the 16g-20g..

I'm not trying to start anything intentionally just as a side note..If I'm asking a stupid question, I apologize and let the flaming begin..

,walter
Hey Walter,

Sounds like Teeriyaki's FP thread triggered a national conspiracy and bloodshed, lol... in which a little spilt over to this thread. I think its better to let this thread rest in peace.

Aloha and peace to everyone,
Dan

Last edited by ojichan sti; 09-09-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Troll

Car Info: EVO 8 RS
Originally Posted by pbchief2
Shaft had play, sounds like severe surge damage to me.
Yeah, I'm sure it was surge damage-I would expect the compressor wheel to give out before the turbine shaft? I'm sure the bearings are toast.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Taiwan Turbo
Yeah, I'm sure it was surge damage-I would expect the compressor wheel to give out before the turbine shaft? I'm sure the bearings are toast.
Thanks for your input guys, can't wait to get my turbo back in about two weeks. Anyway, want to thank Jarrad and PDX for his expertise during his visit to the islands.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:08 PM

Car Info: '05 Legacy GT Wagon "Bro Tuned"
this got me scured so I took off my AVO and put back the stocker....