Brake pad recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 12:24 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Brake pad recommendations?

I haven't seen much (if any) talk about brake pads - should I stick with OEM or is there a particular brand that works better? My car is hitting 40K miles and I need to rotate the tires anyway so I thought I'd check the pads while the wheels are off. My car is a daily driver, no Auto-X for me, just back and forth to work. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:26 PM

Car Info: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
hawk are pretty good there are three differnt types
Old 10-02-2009, 12:31 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
hps would be good, as will axxis ultimates. there is an increase in noise, but overall i think that the added braking force offsets this
Old 10-02-2009, 12:50 PM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
Axxis Ultimates are overkill for a daily driver as Ross stated he does not Auto-X or race.

Axxis's version of street pads will be the metal masters(called XBG now). They do dust more than stock but gives a better bite. They are meant for frequent braking, ie Oahu driving but created me dust for me than stock.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:20 PM

Car Info: 08 Nissan Titan, 12 MazdaSpeed 3, 15 Honda CRV
I tried both and like the Hawk HPS pads,..to me they seem better and tried these on 2 different cars....

You may find Axxis pads (rears) on EBAY for cheap...but you can find Hawk pads F/R there too..
Old 10-02-2009, 01:32 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
i just got some stoptech pads in lieu of the axxis pads, putting them on this weekend, i will let you know what i think after i am done
Old 10-02-2009, 04:10 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
I've had Stoptech, Cobb, and now have hawk hp+.
IMO, all are seriously overkill for non-race applications.
Tirerack sells Satisfied pads for around $70 front and rear. Those should be great for you.

But you could always run $200+ pads on the street like most folks on this site.
Just remember that race pads take time to heat up, so they will not grab right away, and squeal and make noise.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:03 PM

Car Info: STi (cornering, accelerating and braking hard).
I just installed Posiquiet/Stoptech pads from Turn in Concepts. Semi-metallic. Quiet, low dust. Cheap. What more could you want???
Old 10-02-2009, 07:27 PM

Car Info: 08 LR STI
TiC - free shipping (HI included). best customer service IMHO.
plus low dust = less time cleaning wheels.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:11 PM

Car Info: Hi, I'm John.
I like my Hawk HPS pads. They don't squeek at all for me. I believe they have less dust too compared to OEM.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:51 PM

Thanks for all the input, the Satisfied pads or the Stoptechs seem to be what I'm looking for. Any place I can get these locally? Turn in Concepts only lists the Stoptechs for 06 - 07 WRX, I don't know if that will fit my 05. Tire Rack only has the fronts for the Satisfied pads, the rears are listed as "Special Order".

How quickly do the rear pads wear on our cars? I've owned several cars over the years, though none for more than 140K miles and I've never had an all-wheel drive car. The only time I've ever had to change rear pads were drum shoes on my old Nova. I've never had to change rear disc pads. I guess my question is whether or not I should buy a full set now, knowing that the rears will wear nearly as fast as the fronts, or if I can get away just changing the fronts for now if the rears look OK.

EDIT: Also, is there any preference for the Hawk Ceramic over the Hawk HPS? The Ceramic is only a couple of dollars more for the set, I'll get that if they are way better for only a little more cash. I'm now leaning towards Hawk as that is the only brand that's in stock at the Tire Rack - I've seen other brands on Ebay but I'd rather buy from a place that has a no hassle return policy.

Last edited by Ross; 10-03-2009 at 03:02 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:14 AM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Originally Posted by Ross
Thanks for all the input, the Satisfied pads or the Stoptechs seem to be what I'm looking for. Any place I can get these locally? Turn in Concepts only lists the Stoptechs for 06 - 07 WRX, I don't know if that will fit my 05. Tire Rack only has the fronts for the Satisfied pads, the rears are listed as "Special Order".

How quickly do the rear pads wear on our cars? I've owned several cars over the years, though none for more than 140K miles and I've never had an all-wheel drive car. The only time I've ever had to change rear pads were drum shoes on my old Nova. I've never had to change rear disc pads. I guess my question is whether or not I should buy a full set now, knowing that the rears will wear nearly as fast as the fronts, or if I can get away just changing the fronts for now if the rears look OK.
speed element has pretty good prices for the stoptechs, plus i got them in like 2 days
Old 10-03-2009, 01:06 PM

Car Info: 08 LR STI
Originally Posted by Irish_car_B0mb
speed element has pretty good prices for the stoptechs, plus i got them in like 2 days
dood, we're in hawaii and you're in cali.
plus it took 2 days to get from fremont to the north bay?
how much longer would it take to cross the ocean if it takes 2 days to go what, 70 miles at most?
Old 10-03-2009, 08:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
I have Hawk HPS for the street...they're pretty "meh" in my opinion but so are all the other street/sport pads. I wish I could run something with more bite on the street but it might be overkill.

Not to say that the Hawk HPS isn't about 30% better than stock though...I just want more bite.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:00 PM

Haha, false alarm. I pulled off a caliper today when I was rotating my tires and the pads have plenty of life left. I just started hearing a squeak when braking and I thought that the pads were down to the wear indicator. I'll keep this thread as a reference for when I actually need to change brake pads but, at this rate, it will probably quite a while. Thanks again for the info.

Quick Reply: Brake pad recommendations?