Is this the big one? (Pandemic)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 03:45 AM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
Is this the big one? (Pandemic)

TLDR Incoming

As I speak not only as a DOH worker, but someone who study epidemiology; I'd like to give a pretty big warning to those who aren't aware of the current big news at the moment.

I am sure most of you guys hear of the A/H1N1 strain that's been spreading around the world originating from Mexico. A/H1N1 is basically the name for the swine flu, which a mutation of, called the Spanish flu, killed up to a 100,000,000(A third of Europe back then) people from 1918-1920. It is also one of the reasons that contributed to the Allies winning World War I since the pandemic hit the Central forces earlier than the the Allies. I am not saying that the current swine flu will/is as deadly as the Spanish flu nor is it exactly the same strain, but both have the exact trait of pandemic flu which is killing those who were healthy, ie. young adults, as well as killing children and older adults. Yes, influenza kills millions of people a year but that's mostly people with a battered immune system. The swine flu makes your immune system overreact nonstop and in the end you basically drown yourself through a process called cytokine storm.

I personally feel the media is downplaying this even though it is their headlines. The Mexican government has so far announced that there has been a little more than 100 deaths from swine flu while doctors and citizens of Mexico City have reported on new blog comments that it is far worse. All it takes is cases to reach Asian countries such as China and Japan. A/H1N1's incubation reportedly takes a few days only but it could be as long as a week. In comparison, A/H1N1 incubates in the throat, whereas, H5N1(avian flu) incubates in the intestinal track which means A/H1N1 is much more contagious.

Another scary thought, President Obama met with Felipe Solis, a very distinguished archaeologist, while he was in Mexico a few weeks ago. He died from illness the next day, with symptoms similar to the flu.
Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...efer=worldwide

The good news is that it seems to react to oseltamivir(tamiflu) and zanamivir(relenza) quite well. Let's just hope it doesn't mutate because we only have 2 more backups before we're done and those have awful side effects!

So, stay in well ventilated areas, wash your hands, cover your sneezes, and go to the doctor if you aren't feeling well! Oh yeah, and pray.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:25 AM

Car Info: 04 JBP STi
Thanks for the heads up. Time to get serious about disinfection again...

It was only a matter of time. Influenze really is an elegant critter; simple and effective. The muation rate is also amazing, which is why it's so scary when a strain like this comes along. If creationists really want to see evolution in action, influenza is a great model.

For those who don't know, a pandemic is a global epidemic. An epidemic killed off a bunch of Europe, a pandemic would take down people everywhere, and the modern age means that no civilization is more than 24 hours of travel away from anywhere else.
You guys in HI shoud watch out given the number of tourists that come through there.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:04 AM

Car Info: 06 STi
shut down the airports!!!

do you think they'll play that Virus movie with cuba gooding on tv?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
It is something to be concerned about and awareness is very important, but causing a panic is not the way to go. Let's keep our heads about us but remain vigilant.

Influenza is a nasty "critter", but it can be prevented and controlled via normal precautions (washing hands after going to the bathroom, coughing into them, wiping eyes, shaking hands, etc.). Just a few small precautions can lessen stuff like this from getting worse...
Old 04-27-2009, 12:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
I have recently learned through my work training (Red Cross) that it is best to cough in your sleeve or elbow.

Anyways, on a scale of 1/10 what is your worry level at this point? 10 being holy crap.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:59 PM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
Originally Posted by houdni

I don't think it is necessary to do so now since we're in the early stages. Economic consequences are too large for anywhere to do that, especially Hawaii. What we need to do is what exactly Joey said.

The EU is now advising people hold back from nonessential travel to the US and Mexico. Just the event will have large economic consequences in the end. Additionally, Holy Week in San Antonio finished which many people from Mexico drive down to shop/party/participate in the festivities.

EDIT: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...1&source=embed

Google Maps tracker with sources

Last edited by BoOm; 04-27-2009 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Adding link
Old 04-27-2009, 08:56 PM

Car Info: 2008 Legacy 3.0R 3L H-6 RIP :( Hello 09 FXT!
I hear there are a few cases of the swine flu in New York, Ohio, and *ah* I forgot, but those cases are "mild" and are getting better. Just continue washing your hands after every activity.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:30 AM
banned

Car Info: 2004 STi
Originally Posted by houdni

Old 04-28-2009, 01:44 PM

Car Info: MkIII MR2, s14, 94 mx5, 99 mx5. The beauty of rwd.
I think watching that movie gave me ebola...
Old 04-28-2009, 02:44 PM

Car Info: 2002 Legacy GT Wagon
^^^ reading your comment gave me sars
Old 04-28-2009, 03:17 PM

Car Info: MkIII MR2, s14, 94 mx5, 99 mx5. The beauty of rwd.
Your manager gave you std's
Old 04-29-2009, 05:13 AM
banned

Car Info: 2004 STi
Originally Posted by Shin RS
Your manager gave you std's
You mean a STi? "Sexually Transmitted Infection"
Old 04-29-2009, 06:10 PM

Car Info: Silver Subaru WRX 2005 (STI wing and interior)
^^ i guess that brings a whole new meaning to STi >.< ^^

LoL

Its a scary prospect to think such a tiny thing could wipe out a population if left unchecked or mutates to rapidly. The discovery channel did a show about this very idea. It was with small pox but with globalization reaching farther and farther essentially no one is safe. =/
Old 04-29-2009, 06:30 PM

Car Info: Silver Subaru WRX 2005 (STI wing and interior)
but on a lighter note, here is something to keep you occupied while your trapped in doors for hours at a time...

Swine flu game. Infect as many as you can.

http://www.friv.com/x/sneeze/game.html

P.S. yes i know im going straight to hell for this. lol