Beware of UPS

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 03:48 PM

Beware of UPS

Just thought I'd warn my fellow Subaru owners about an experience I just had today with UPS. I ordered a downpipe from a pretty reputable vendor -- no problems from his end. It was shipped UPS 2nd day air. No problem, the package was delivered on time today. Yet, aren't they supposed to have someone sign for the package? The guy just left the frickin' box in the garage! I stepped out for a couple of hours so noone was around to sign. Anyway, I open up the box, and what do I find? NOTHING! It was completely empty! Can you imagine the shock that I got, after finding nothing in a box and stands at least 4 feet high?! Upon further inspection of the box, I noticed that someone had cut the tape that was holding down 3 sides of one of the box flaps. One side was then retaped. I am quite positive that no one in my neighborhood has the savvy or the ***** to do something like this. I do strongly believe though, that this is an inside job of UPS. It worries me that this is NOT an isolated incident. I'm quite sure there's UPS workers out there that open things up and check out the contents, reseal it, and off it goes. One would think that a company like UPS would get the job done, but this has totally changed my outlook. I contacted the vendor, and he is cool enough to ship out a replacement. I feel sorry for him because he has to file a claim and everything. Watch out you guys!

Last edited by hiwrx; 01-08-2003 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:10 PM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
Sorry to hear that.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
FWIW, I am about as suspicious of the US Post Office, too. And I bet InFeK is as well.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
I Never had any problems like this until I moved here. (btw, I've lived in Memphis, Chicago, San Diego, Norfolk/Va Beach, Pascagula, MS, couple places in FL)
I have had bad feelings with UPS before, but that was only over cost, not service.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:15 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Originally posted by Nolimit
I Never had any problems like this until I moved here. (btw, I've lived in Memphis, Chicago, San Diego, Norfolk/Va Beach, Pascagula, MS, couple places in FL)
I have had bad feelings with UPS before, but that was only over cost, not service.
Yeah I've only heard about this on island also.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:37 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo

Old 01-08-2003, 09:26 PM

Car Info: Pilot & Prius.
Why would the driver even deliver something that was obviously empty. Something 4 feet high isnt going to be empty. I mean he can see the weight on his compu-clipboard. He should have known something was wrong in the first place. Dont ya think?
Old 01-08-2003, 09:53 PM

Exactly what I was thinking, Dave. On the label on the box, it clearly says 16 lbs. Obviously, the driver knows what goes on in his own company, and he's not going to be stupid enough to question the lack of weight. I'm sure he was in a rush to get it off his hands. What a bunch of punks.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:40 AM

Car Info: BRP 2000
if you don't mind the wait i orderd from summit oneday and asked if there was cheaper shipping than ups. they found a 7-14 day company called DHL it only cost 50 for the longer service but its way better than spending 150 for ups.

sorry you got robbed like that. how does it work out? did he forge the signature?
Old 01-09-2003, 11:48 AM

I suspect that the dp had to have been jacked somewhere on the mainland. I was tracking it over the 2 day shipping period and one thing seemed suspicious to me. On Day 0 there was no problem -- saw that it was scanned and picked up at its origin in N.J. Early Day 1 was no problem -- saw that it was now in Philadelphia. By late, late Day 1 though, it was still in Philadelphia! How the heck is it going to cross the mainland and get to Hawaii by Day 2? Well, by early Day 2, it was still in Philadelphia! Usually, you don't have planes traveling straight from Philadelphia to Hawaii! They usually have one more stop, usually somewhere on the west coast. So I figure it's not going to come on time, so I step out of the house for a couple of hours. Sure enough though, the package arrives when I'm not home. Driver just drops it off with no signature, because he knows someone is going to question the empty box. I suspect that a UPS worker on the west coast city-stop took my stuff, didn't scan it, and sent the box on its merry way. I hear that FedEx is usually better than UPS, so I may request that parts be sent by that carrier from now on. Punks!
Old 01-10-2003, 12:38 AM

I know your pain !! I waited over a month to get my rims through USPS, finally got the little pink card from them saying it was ready to pick up at the post office 3 days ago......went there with much anticipation and recieved 2 WHEELS ! that's right, half my order. still no sign of the other 2 wheels =( shipping to hawaii sucks !!

Steve
Old 01-10-2003, 12:43 AM
Pr0n King

Wanna trade for a turbo? *

*= note: slight assembly required
Old 01-10-2003, 12:47 AM

It's a real crappy feeling, isn't it? At least you got half, I got a very large box of air. All the more reason why us HI guys should get things from the stores here. I know, not much selection, and you pay around 25% more than online, but at least I know I'm going to go home with something.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:53 AM
Pr0n King

Originally posted by hiwrx
It's a real crappy feeling, isn't it? At least you got half, I got a very large box. All the more reason why us HI guys should get booty from the k-bars here. I know, not much selection, and you pay around 25% more than real dating, but at least I know I'm going to go home with something.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I know what you mean! I'd patronize the local stores more if the difference in final price wasn't so outrageous!
Old 01-10-2003, 01:02 AM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
UPS gets things here faster. Fedex totally sucks. I was home the whole day when my packages were supposed to arrive, and I just happened to check the tracking. It said Customer not available or Business Closed. Happened to me twice before. They didn't even bother to call to my apartment to pick it up. And when packages arrive in Hawaii, they will take 2 days. I had a bad experience with USPS before but it was because of miscommunication. But overall, if I were to ship my scooby things, I would prefer USPS or Fedex. Not UPS. Mainly because of cost.

Quick Reply: Beware of UPS