Back up and running

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 06:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Back up and running

Doubtful that I know many of y'all anymore....but I think I can still claim the title of 'fastest Subaru wagon on Oahu'. Or can't I?

List of crap on the car

Anyhow, I had the engine back together back in DEC/JAN but made a major mistake. I'm (hopefully) temporarily running v7 heads with the AVCS disabled. That is until I can afford all of the hardware required to enable the AVCS (ECU, IA Performance AVCS wiring kit, v7 cam gears, AVCS solenoid plugs.) My studyguide as to how to do this was from Phil's experience: http://www.elementtuning.com/V8%20In...%20Install.htm

Anyhow, while researching how to disable the AVCS, I misunderstood that the cams still required the additional oil source (for the WRX guys, cams are lubricated (I guess) solely from the turbo oil-return line hole on the back of the heads. For the STi guys, there are two brass pipes that connect to the AVCS solenoids - pass side runs under the intake manifold in order to lube the CHRA on the turbo.)

I didn't realize I needed those brass pipes. Almost welded my cams to their front journals.

Well a few dollars later she's up and running. The tune still needs a buttload of work, though.

Old 02-23-2006, 06:27 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
congrats pat :banana: . i'll definately be giving you a call when i finally start on mine

my clutch kit didn't come in yet. had to replace it since my clutch cover and disc got rained on and rusted

Jon

yea you can still claim fastest wagon in HIIC.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:43 PM
VIP Member

Jon,

I'm not recommending against, especially since I have yet to really test it, but in daily driving the Exedy Hypersingle is a ***** to get the hang of. That and it rattles a lot when you decelerate. I'm not at all dissatisfied; I can get used to anything. It's just that I've never driven any sort of aftermarket clutch before.

The lightweight flywheel gives me a lot of false misfire codes as well.

The flywheel, along with the crank pulley you sold me really slow down the engine in a hurry when you push in the clutch and let off the gas....which you'll soon be doing a lot of.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:01 PM

well i decided to get a 05 STI stock clutch since i wanted something reliable that i know won't chatter (alot). but since it's been almost 1 month since i've ordered it i'm looking to getting a exedy sports clutch.

my jdm oem flywheel (sorry don't know what a us sti flywheel looks like) is damn heavy dude. it's about 20lbs or so. this will make it easier for me to engadge my gears but acceleration might be lost?

i'll post a pic

Jon
Old 02-23-2006, 07:10 PM

just had it resurfaced
Attached Thumbnails Back up and running-dscf1397.jpg  
Old 02-23-2006, 08:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Pat you can probably claim fastest wagon ever on the island but I don't think you can claim current. Also you have to remember there is a wagon on the island with a full sti swap but I dont think he races it.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
oh yeah love the dirty rims and tires, it shows you use the car for what it was built for.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:09 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
pat, it's great to hear you got the car running again!! i say you still own fastest wagon down here, but i can't say for sure, as there are alot more people entering the market, as prices have become within reach of the people with no bills to pay!!!
keep us posted on the bestest wagon i have ever known....(btw i know bestest is not a word, i can't describe P.M.'s car any other way )
Old 02-23-2006, 10:04 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
Yo

Pat. I don't recommend the light flywheel AND pulley. I just went with the light flywheel. Too many that have problems with the pulley.

San
Old 02-23-2006, 11:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
right on man!! good luck with the tune....
Old 02-23-2006, 11:29 PM

Car Info: Slower than the guy with all the money :(
Originally Posted by oldmansan
Pat. I don't recommend the light flywheel AND pulley. I just went with the light flywheel. Too many that have problems with the pulley.

San
I agree with San, take the pulley off unless,you too will know the pain of the sheared flywheel. I speak from experience, my flywheel completely separated itself from the crank in my car,that my friend is why it became the FRANKENSCOOBY in the first place. I'd hate to see you have another setback.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:21 AM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
Not

sure I could attribute a sheared flywheel to a pulley. Sounds like a flywheel integrity problem (or install problem). My lightweight flywheel (13+ lb) is full cromoly. I'm not a fan of aluminum bonded/glued to steel etc. In theory an aluminum or carbon outside glued/bonded/bound to a sturdy inside would be the best of both worlds (weight furthest from the center of an object that rotates is most important for acceleration). But when a flywheel lets go, the small advantage is overcome by the damage done. I also think that super lightweight flywheels don't always provide an advantage. YMMV.

San
Old 02-24-2006, 04:41 AM
VIP Member

...Stan never raced it, did he?

I bought the Hypersingle completely ignorant. My entire aim was in having a clutch that was durable enough to stand up to more power. Pulley was because Jon gave me a good deal and the engine was out of the car at the time. It's the Perrin, so it's not underdriven, just light.

So far, the only drawbacks I've seen are that while I'm still breaking in the clutch, I botch the normal, stoplight-to-stoplight launch so often which is where the false misfires are coming from. However, with the Delta Dash, I've bumped up my idle about 300rpm. That helps alot.

I haven't had a chance to autox or drag yet, since the rings and the clutch aren't broken in yet but I am trying the 'hard' breakin for both.

Francis, what sort of usage had your flywheel seen before (I'm guessing) the bolts sheared off? I have already thought ot taking the pulley off. It just seems like the both of them is screwing with inertia and balance too much.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Pat, when are we gonna get together?!

My car is here and I need to take a road trip to Indy to exchange BOV with a guy (I'm going stock and he is going HKS).

Blake
Old 02-24-2006, 01:41 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
As far as the clutch and flywheel, with my exedy stage 2 and ACT streetlite flywheel the daily driving is a bit harder than stock. When starting from a stand-still, the whole car shakes unless I rev to about 2500 rpm. At deceleration, I too get funny sounds (nothing I can't live with). However, when the clutch grabs, it is like a hammer. I love the way it revs a little freer with the lighter flywheel (13.9 lbs). I am just glad that I leave for work at 4:45 am and get off at 2:30 pm (no bumper to bumper traffic). I was going to go with a exedy stage 1 (would've been a bunch easier to drive), but I couldn't find one without waiting and I needed my car. And San, you have to get you some RA gears (unless you are going to get the 6-speed). The car is always in the powerband now. Lag is not a factor for me anymore when it was pretty bad for me with no ems. If I am able to make it to Vakamon tomorrow, I will let you take it for a spin.

Quick Reply: Back up and running