Amazing WRX Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 06:33 PM

Car Info: 08 lgt
My thoughts are maybe there's no vids of it doing passes because it's still in the tuning process and just hasn't hit the track yet. Also if it were I dyno queen I wouldn't bad mouth it, because it's obviously just showcasing the shops skill to produce power out of a suby. Which would bring in customers because hell if they can hit 1000hp which is more than anyone on the street is gonna want, they can accommodate anyone in the public and/or race team with a build.

I was just mad at the fact that you guys are calling it useless when it really isn't to the shop, tuner, driver that uses it. Sure to us on the street it's retarded but for them it's money well spent because it'll only bring in more money. That's what you guys aren't seeing and it's stupid that you can't.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:44 PM

Car Info: 2002 Legacy GT Wagon
is this the first time that a suby shop has tuned to 1k hp? it's not that uncommon to hear of inline 4 motors making that kind of power, that's been done to death for years, but if they pulled it off on the flat 4, i guess it's a big deal. being able to tune for peak power isn't everything, it just means you've thrown in the biggest bits you have around. it says nothing about reliability, (i'll say it again) driveability (it even matters in drag racing) and practicality. to me, having the most powerful subaru is great if you wanted to market that it can be done but most of the time it's superficial. long term tests and numbers posted while racing mean more to me that hp numbers ever will. i think the hp rating is one of the worst comparisons you can make because cars with half the horsepower beat out their competition all the time. it just doesn't matter that much. if it made 1k lb/ft of torque at less than 5k rpm, i'd turn my head.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:49 PM

Can you tune a suby to hit 1000hp? Cause if you can I understand why you think its no big deal.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:02 PM

Car Info: 2002 Legacy GT Wagon
i think you're in the wrong generation. the 70's and 80's were golden when it came to making the most power per liter. i didn't say i personally could do it, nor am i dissing that they can (so you stop defending their side), i've already given my respect to them but my point still stands. power isn't everything. i'm sure some other shop could have done it if they invested the time and resources, because heaven forbid this shop is the only competent engine tuner around... i'm glad for these guys - really, i am - i'm glad for the subaru community who now has one more tuner to make crazy horsepower - and i ask the same thing that's been asked from the very beginning, to do what with?
Old 12-31-2008, 07:13 PM

I understand it's not your cup of tea to get mad hp. It's not mine either. But it is to someone out there. There is people that just want the most power they can achieve, and they don't care about the sacrifices they have to make to achieve it. So when these people see what this shop has done obviously it gives them faith that the shop can do the same thing for them and help them get reach their goal. I'm also not saying that this is the only shop that can do it. Sure theres others but it isn't too easy to get power out of subys from my observations, (if I didn't wanna be different I would've got an evo cause its so much cheaper and easier to make power). So anyone that can produce it gets mad props. And for your statement about what to do with this power, DRAG RACE IT. DUH! Just cause drag racing isn't your thing, and you wouldn't be able to get it down the quarter doesn't mean others are the same. People do dedicate their lives to drag racing instead of turns you know.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:26 PM

Car Info: 04 sti now pulling hard but super greasy!!
^^why are you such a wise ***?>?? can you tune a suby to pull 1000 hp?? what a flippin joke you talk like you know how and that its such a big deal...........its not really its been getting done for years now i dont even want to talk about it anymore cause instead of like i said before you just being like i can see your point..(which ive even done)...you always have some smart *** comment juss shudup already!!!
Old 12-31-2008, 08:20 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
the thing is can some one post up vids of subys with 1000hp with a graph to prove it. i don't recall there even being 3 subys in the 1000hp marker. i know of 2 subys at the 1000bhp marker and also no vids of funny car's i mean real subys awd 1000awhp? the thing is you will have a hard time finding it. it is a big deal cause for subys it hasn't been happening for years and our cars are alot harder to get hp unlike toyota/mitsu/nissain
Old 12-31-2008, 08:26 PM

here is my search on nasioc

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sear...archid=3824374

i searched under "1000awhp subaru"

this may be the only one and it's the esx car
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...+subaru&page=2

i didn't look at all the specs tho

Last edited by shaggadelic; 12-31-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:16 PM
banned

Car Info: .
I read through this thread and don't understand what the issues are, and I'm a pretty good reader, trust me.

Context is key. Horsepower and drag racing go together like peas and carrots, but it's only 1 of probably a thousand factors that determine ET of the car, so everyone has points from a certain perspective.

To put it more into context, turbocharged road race cars are often tuned for longevity more than horsepower because if you understand the combustion process, there aren't many engines that can sustain high engine loads and more importantly heat for more than a few seconds at a time under WOT, and road race are at constant WOT or the driver just sucks more than Kobe Tai. They can't run timing and boost drag race style because the longer one is under WOT the more the likelihood of hitting knock threshold, especially in long straights at top gear, which drag race cars never do.
eg...pro nitro drag race cars are tuned so aggressively that they can overheat if left on the starting line too long.

What's really important in the end is the combination when it comes to motorsports and racing or how the system works together.
It would be like having a big thumb with small fingers. Day to day activities would be hard, but if the goal is to hitchhike, then perhaps the overgrown thumb has some applicability. It's not the ideal of practicality. It's the idea of meeting a specific context, or rather, how well it meets that context.
BUT THIS THREAD ISNT ABOUT THE COMBINATION, at least from reading the thread title

But in the end, you want to make sure that your system works together for your context, which is why sometimes some cars have less power than others but still make it down the track faster. John shepherd started out for example launching his car hard and didn't focus on top end. But after killing transmission in every race, he redesigned his power delivery for top end. If you watch the video, he slips the clutch and basically toasts the clutch for his 60 foot mark and just tries to use the AWD and traction to catch guys at the top end.
Then he went dogbox and changed his curve again because he eliminated weak points.

The 1000 hp is impressive and if it could sustain the 10 seconds or so of a 1/4 mile run, it's a matter of figuring out the chassis specs required to put it down. But likely, 1 run wonders can never sustain such boost more than a 5 second pull at a time.
But some of you do have points that you generally want to make as much power in a drag racing situation as possible and just sweat the rest when you hit the track. I'm pretty confident that if you gave me the money I could produce a 1000hp number and tune it myself. If you give me enough money, I WILL prove you wrong and I'll do it all myself, seriously.
And if it didnt hit that number, id just **** with the SAE factors till I produced the numbers and post it on youtube.

As you can tell I am suspect of the number itself, as I know that dyno tuners unethically overinflate runs and play with SAE corrections to impress an uneducated and uninformed consumer base. The number is meaningless to me without a backup run to show that the number is repeatable and that the heads didn't come flying off or that there are other dyno figures to compare against on that specific dyno, as comparing dyno charts is almost useless. It's just a metering system!!! But it's a LARGELY UNCALIBRATED AND UNREGULATED metering system.
When someone creates a standard to callibrate dynos, then I'll be impressed. Other than that, any shop can play with SAE factors to get a number.
[I]They can even remove knock retard from the ECU (or EM), jack the timing up, let it knock through the run, and post it to a board and impress everyone.[/I] And don't think that hasn't been done either. ....this is directed to all those who have tuned and have not requested logs from your tuners...shame on you

So for me, it's not whether this 1000hp is practical or not. If it's a drag car, it meets a specific context assuming that the power can be put down
For me it's whether it's validated and repeatable

Last edited by reid-o; 12-31-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:59 PM

Car Info: subaru
Old 12-31-2008, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by alienbreed69
^^why are you such a wise ***?>?? can you tune a suby to pull 1000 hp?? what a flippin joke you talk like you know how and that its such a big deal...........its not really its been getting done for years now i dont even want to talk about it anymore cause instead of like i said before you just being like i can see your point..(which ive even done)...you always have some smart *** comment juss shudup already!!!
Cause I am a wise ***. As much in person as I am on this forum so don't think its a front. I never stated I could build it and tune it to hit 1000hp, that's why I'm impressed because I can't do it. To me seems like you n him think its just a matter of a flick of the wrist for anyone to hit that kind of numbers. If that was the case we'd have high hp cars left n right. It's been done for years on OTHER cars and OTHER engines. Like **** said look around for SUBY'S that make that power and see how much you find. Btw you like me shut up, it's as simple as not reading my posts.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:42 PM

Car Info: Pasoi!
Originally Posted by reid-o
To put it more into context, turbocharged road race cars are often tuned for longevity more than horsepower because if you understand the combustion process, there aren't many engines that can sustain high engine loads and more importantly heat for more than a few seconds at a time under WOT, and road race are at constant WOT or the driver just sucks more than Kobe Tai. They can't run timing and boost drag race style because the longer one is under WOT the more the likelihood of hitting knock threshold, especially in long straights at top gear, which drag race cars never do.
eg...pro nitro drag race cars are tuned so aggressively that they can overheat if left on the starting line too long.

Shwinngggg lol.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:58 PM

Car Info: 04 sti now pulling hard but super greasy!!
hmmmmmmmmm........
Old 01-01-2009, 12:03 AM

Car Info: 07 pearl white wrx
i would not want to swing with warren. that avatar of his is scary enough.
lol.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:56 AM

i gotta say tho this is one of the best threads on here in a while. actual car talk wooohoooo!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Amazing WRX Dyno