Alignment shop

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 01:32 PM

Car Info: GR.SEDAN
So here's the wrap up - thanks to everyone for their replies too, adds to the insight.

the weekend went like this:

called earlier in the week and set an appt for 10am saturday, arrived at 9:45 to check in.

walked into the office and derrick didnt even look up from his computer.

Me: Hi, how's it going?

D: (says nothing)

Me: uh, I've got a 10am appt for alignment..

D: (looks up, then down, grabs pen and clipboard) last name? (gave it), car? (Subaru Impreza STI) keys? (handed them over)

D: alright, your car is next up on the rack.

(i stand there for a second, hoping for some more info... how long? what are you going to do? do you know what I want? )

Me: So, I know you've had a few of these come through recently, all the subaru guys have recommended you and --

D: (interrupts) -- yeah yeah, we'll get it done...

Me: uhm, but I wanted to know what settings you'll be bringing it to; i hear for autocross it's best to dial in some extra front camber, though i'm streeting it 99% of the time, so maybe just 1* and 0 toe all around and --

D: (interrupts again) -- yeah yeah, we can do that, you dont want to chew up your tires though.

Me: right, so that's why I'm thinking 1* shouldn't be too bad, what's your take?

D: (gets up from his barstool as if something else caught on fire) yeah, we'll get it done, it'll be a bit (still hasn't given me a time)

Me: uh, so you can do the settings I want? in case the car can't reach it, i've got some camber bolts on the front seat and --

D: (interrupts again) yeah, that'll be extra.

Me: ohkay, i guess if it's needed then, probably not. (wtf really? if you're loosening and adjusting a bolt, spinning the nut off, removing and replacing the bolt takes all of 2min a side - so unless he's billing me for another 5 mins of time, i don't see what he's on about - granted i think the car will easily adjust to 1*)

D: (finally) so what's wrong with it? pulling to one side?

Me: so the front right tire is worn much differently than the rest, my guess was toe, but if you can check the before and after, it'll confirm it, also seems to be pulling right which is why i suspect it - and the steering wheel is about 2* off center to the right, needs to be straigtened.

D: yeah yeah we can do that, alright just have a seat, I'll let them know.

Me: do you rotate tires in this process? (i had heard from someone that went that they rotated them for him)

D: (laughs) no, no we dont do that.

^^ that above process was less than two minutes of discussion, and the entire process didn't really fill me with any kind of confidence that they're treating my car right - i probably care more than others (which is why i went with his shop, recommended to be a gear head centered shop) but he didnt seem to give 2 fks.

then i sat in the waiting room (i know how shops dont like people looking in on work being done, and if i really want to watch, mostly to learn more about the process, i make it a point to ask if i can stand aside or behind the yellow lines etc etc)

two or three other people came in, (just an observation, all in their mid 40's) and he proceeded to shoot the **** with them for 10 mins at a time... wtf? i'm asking about my car and he couldnt give me even partially divided attention, but he'll gladly shoot the breeze with these folks?

the kid working on my car came back with the 'before' report, but Derrik didnt mention it or care to discuss it so i walked up and asked about it (considering that i asked about it previously, you'd think he'd want to work with me here).

i ask about the 'before' report and he says 'yeah, it'll be in the car' then runs off out the back door and i hear him yelling to the guy, 'yeah keep that report in the car' - apparently he forgot this specific request from the only guy in the waiting room from 15 mins ago.

he comes back and said 'yeah, looked like it was already in spec really, just the back left was off, you gotta make sure you check the air in your tires (btw, aired up all the tires to door panel spec the night before)... he says they're at 26#. there are no punctures, no way do tires drop 10# overnight...

Me: okay, i'll be sure to check it - what's your opinion on the feathering of the right front --

D: (interrupted) yeah, well it should be done shortly (gets up and runs to the back)

wtf?

so i take a seat, figure i'll ask him about it. my car pulls up and the guy hands him the 'new' report.

D: says nothing, just continues on his papers as i sit there...

3-5min and i get up to go, figure i gotta pay and get my keys

D: yeah, its done, back in spec, just keep that air in your tires..

Me: so no rotating tires?

D: yeah you'll want to do that sometime

wtf? like tomorrow? next year? if i was your average joe, i wouldn't know and he wouldn't be much help - luckily i know better.

Me: yeah, i guess I'll do that this week. thanks.

---

fast forward an hour

---

i'm out driving and notice the steering wheel is still racked to the right about 3*, car still pulls to the right a hair as well - wtf??

I go back to the shop around 1230 after lunch, shop is empty.

walk into the office (which now somehow smells like a month old dirty hamster cage, no joke) he's shooting the breeze with some other dude

a few mins later he askes 'yeah, whats up?'

Me: well, the steering wheel is still off center about 3* to the right...

D: (no apology) well, the guys are out to lunch, hang out for 15 mins and i'll get it up on the rack

Me.... well, okay, i'll just be walking around outside (because the office stinks like hamster crap)

15min later I return and he says, 'yeah just pull the car up'

== pause for a sec== at this point i'm thinking, this i just like sending your food back at a restaurant, do i really trust this guy to direct his shop to do the job right?...

so i set the car up, keys in it, kid walks out to pull it in, greasy greasy hands, but had the courtesy to use some paper towels as gloves to pull the car in (still not what i'd expect of any shop, i'm worried for my seats at this point)

20m of waiting later the car rolls back out, kid says it should be fixed. i walk in the the office to say 'thanks, i'm on my way' and derrick's no where to be found, presumably in the back office jerking it. so i kinda lean in the counter and say ' hey thanks derrick, i'll be on my way' he shouts back 'yeah, yeah okay'

and thats it.

most disappointing service appointment ever.

he left me with zero confidence in the work, they couldve just spent that hour just bs'ng a report for me to hold for all i know (yeah, i don't believe it, but that's the level of confidence they instilled in their work to me).

and at the end of it all? the wheel is centered, if anything, feels a shy to the left now by a degree, i'm not sure i care to take it back a third time...

now the next step is figuring out if this is a warranty issue with the drivetrain - the before and after spec reports show the alignment was within spec, yet the front right tire is worn doubly quick since the last rotation compared to the front left tire...

feel free to chime in on that mystery if you might have insight...

/rant.