Accessport Tuner question....

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 08:34 PM

Car Info: FXT/ 1999 Legacy L /2007 OB/ 71 240z
Accessport Tuner question....

Hey I-club,

So i recently picked up an 03 WRX wagon for a steal! Its got more than enough power but it does have a catless DP, and uppipe. The biggest thing is i read horror stories of guys running without and tune. I don't plan to do any other performance mods because i think it has more than enough power. Does anyone on here have one (I assume many do), if i don't plan on doing any other performance mods except maybe a Catback, would the V2 be more then enough? I see the V3 but not too keen on blowing 600+ Any input would be great thanks guys!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:58 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
From what i've seen before, the earlier GDs weren't as finicky about those bolt on mods without a tune. Several of us went catless without tunes back in 02-06ish (when HRP) was still open and our cars ran fine. Tunes and tuners were scarce back then and most were limited to mostly Cobb APs and rough tunes with ECUteks and few others.

I think you'd be fine with the AP v2 (if you can, avoid the v1). Those OTS tunes do smooth out your curve and your car will feel kinda nice. v3s are plenty nice with those fancy displays though! .
Old 04-10-2014, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by sneezerboi
From what i've seen before, the earlier GDs weren't as finicky about those bolt on mods without a tune. Several of us went catless without tunes back in 02-06ish (when HRP) was still open and our cars ran fine. Tunes and tuners were scarce back then and most were limited to mostly Cobb APs and rough tunes with ECUteks and few others.

I think you'd be fine with the AP v2 (if you can, avoid the v1). Those OTS tunes do smooth out your curve and your car will feel kinda nice. v3s are plenty nice with those fancy displays though! .

They do look awesome but i cant justify that price tag lol. The only things i really need, from what i read is the Stage 2 MAP and launch control thats it.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:51 PM

Car Info: 2014 Subaru WRX STI
you won't see any benefits as far as maps go. you're really just paying to have the newest version, along with a bigger display that will allow you to monitor up to 6 parameters (boost, afr, idc, etc.). if you're like the majority of users, I'd recommend just getting a v2 but make sure that the source you get it from has properly unmarried it from their vehicle as you may be left with an expensive paperweight
Old 04-11-2014, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by hipnotyknick
you won't see any benefits as far as maps go. you're really just paying to have the newest version, along with a bigger display that will allow you to monitor up to 6 parameters (boost, afr, idc, etc.). if you're like the majority of users, I'd recommend just getting a v2 but make sure that the source you get it from has properly unmarried it from their vehicle as you may be left with an expensive paperweight
I keep reading about unmarried is a big thing so good to know. Don't really need the other stuff, mainly looking to get the car to run better, and launch control.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:20 AM

yeah, its cobbs way of making sure that people won't be flashing everyones car with a single accessport. it'll also make it useless in the event that the AP was stolen and attempted to be resold. Cobb is good in that they continue to support older versions of the AP so it's only a matter of going to their support page and downloading the specific map you intend to use, one of them being launch control. hope that helps
Old 04-11-2014, 09:55 AM

yeah, its cobbs way of making sure that people won't be flashing everyones car with a single accessport. it'll also make it useless in the event that the AP was stolen and attempted to be resold. Cobb is good in that they continue to support older versions of the AP so it's only a matter of going to their support page and downloading the specific map you intend to use, one of them being launch control. hope that helps
100% now trying to find a V2 (Sub 001 i believe?) is step 2! lol
Old 04-11-2014, 10:39 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
the only thing that worries me about the AP2 is that it will probably be non supported like the v1. they are price dropping the crap out of them
Old 04-11-2014, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by shaggadelic
the only thing that worries me about the AP2 is that it will probably be non supported like the v1. they are price dropping the crap out of them
But if i don't plan on doing any other mods "Performance wise" would you still think its viable? Again V3 looks sweet but 650 seems a bit steep for only wanting it for 2 things lol.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:02 AM

true i can agree with you on that but the next question would be what happens when you end up wanting to and realize its not supported anymore a few years down the road?
Old 04-11-2014, 11:37 AM

true i can agree with you on that but the next question would be what happens when you end up wanting to and realize its not supported anymore a few years down the road?
By then im sure there will be a V4 lol. Lets be real how long has the V2 been out? not that long i would think. Same with when the V1 came out. Or if thats the case also by then if i wanted to go crazy i would just get a Standalone.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:41 PM

iirc it came out in 2004 as ap1, 2008 as ap2, 2014 as ap3
Old 04-11-2014, 01:10 PM

iirc it came out in 2004 as ap1, 2008 as ap2, 2014 as ap3
Ok did not know the time lines.... but i honestly do not see me wanting any more power. i think its got plenty for what i want.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:57 PM

if you are gonna get a custom tune down the road then using an off the shelf map will be fine and you wont have to worry about support. your tuner should be able to upload a custom map for you onto the ap and the most important feature imo is the datalogging
Old 04-11-2014, 06:43 PM

if you are gonna get a custom tune down the road then using an off the shelf map will be fine and you wont have to worry about support. your tuner should be able to upload a custom map for you onto the ap and the most important feature imo is the datalogging
Thats my big ticket thing, i want the data logging because i wana know after a run how she did.

Quick Reply: Accessport Tuner question....