General Tech / How To's / Installations Technical discussions about the USDM 2008+ WRX and WRX STi.

Boost Addict's 08 WRX Project - 233whp/334wtq - Pics, Vids, Dyno

Old 01-03-2009, 02:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
I'm definitely down for that. PM me, we'll arrange something
Old 01-04-2009, 04:58 PM
VIP Member

So I installed the K&N Typhoon, and it was a very straight forward install with minor surprises. I will post up detailed pictures of the install sometime soon when I have more time. But all in all, it turned out great. The fitment and construction of the unit are excellent! It's a very nice piece and was a great choice for what I was looking to accomplish. I have recently ditched the idea of the turbo inlet hose due to some of the installation directions. They appear to require cutting the factory unit and then rerouting things. I'm not too fond of that considering the potentially small gains to be had.

After installing the K&N, I reverted back from my 233/334 custom map to the stock mapping in order to prevent any problems. Are there gains? Absolutely. But those gains are felt in the mid-range to upper mid-range... On the stock mapping the turbos exhaustion at high revs is more apparent than on my customer tune. But also note that, as expected, power did drop off quite significantly in the lower end of the spectrum. Lugging the car around at low revs then wanting to spring into action doesn't feel as immediate as before. It feels heavier at lower revs. Not by a huge amount, but it is noticeable. I have no major problem with this as the new tune will certainly take advantage of every last drop this intake has to offer, so I'm at peace with a slight loss of grunt down low.

The sound is pretty intoxicating. It sounds like you're in your own personal air craft . If you have no music on, spool up begins as an wide-spread "shhhhhh" sound, but climbing in revs with load will narrow the sound to a focused and sharp "hissssss" as the turbo spools up quicker. Once off the throttle, the bypass valve is very noticeable with an easy-to-mimic "tishewwwww". It's kind of funny if you break it down... People will commonly call it a 'sneeze', but at least it's polite enough to ask for a "tisshhheewww". Get it? Tissue.

Some things to note about it's performance. The car has an easy time figuring out the AFRs and running properly when you're heavy on the throttle. It clings to 11.1 and won't let go. But there must be some reason the stock unit had an air straightener in the pipe. While the K&N has a built-in velocity stack, it will cause the car to stumble and figure it's timing out if you get on it after an initial light throttle. In other words, if you're cruising along say at 2500 rpm, and give the throttle a squeeze, it will need to sort itself out with a little lumpiness in power delivery. Now please note, I'm being really picky, it's not like something that's a disturbance or a massively upsetting feeling. It just doesn't feel as smooth as the custom map. And I can't quite speak for the car in stock form, as I don't remember it's build up of power too well. It could have had the same lumpiness in stock trim (I don't remember). But in the ECUs defense, I am running an Intake and Turboback on Stock parameters. That's never a good combination to run for a long period of time.

In short, the gains were a bit more than I expected from the intake. It certainly feels more robust and willing in the mid-range (compared to stock mapping) but that feeling could be amplified by the loss in power down low. But all in all, I am very satisfied with the intake and can't wait to see if the sound changes at all once the new turbo, tmic and bpv are installed next weekend. We are scheduled to drop the new parts in on Sunday the 11th, then get a new custom tune done on the 13th! Wish me luck in hitting 290+ whp

SOME PICTURES:

ENGINE BAY BEFORE K&N INSTALL
Name:  kni01.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  141.6 KB

OEM RAM AIR INLET OUTLET WIDTH
Name:  kni04.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  59.7 KB

OEM RAM AIR INLET OUTLET HEIGHT
Name:  kni03.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  60.2 KB

OEM POST-MAF EXIT TUBE DIAMETER
Name:  kni06.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  79.6 KB

OEM POST-MAF TUBE INTERNAL CORRUGATION DETAIL
Name:  kni05.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  49.1 KB
Old 01-04-2009, 05:00 PM
VIP Member

K&N POST-MAF TUBE INTERNAL DETAIL AND DIAMETER
Name:  kni07.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  79.3 KB

K&N FILTER ADAPTER (VELOCITY STACK) DETAIL
Name:  kni02.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  48.5 KB

K&N FILTER CAP DETAIL (CARBON FIBER PRINT)
Name:  kni10.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  85.1 KB

K&N TYPHOON ASSEMBLY
Name:  kni08.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  126.1 KB

K&N TYPHOON vs OEM INTAKE SYSTEM
Name:  kni09.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  109.4 KB

K&N INSTALLED IN ENGINE BAY 1
Name:  kni11.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  180.7 KB

K&N INSTALLED IN ENGINE BAY 2
Name:  kni12.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  174.5 KB
Old 01-04-2009, 05:00 PM
VIP Member

VIDEOS:

K&N TYPHOON - REVVING FROM OUTSIDE, (LOVELY RATTLING SOUND COURTESY OF COBB HEAT SHIELD)

K&N TYPHOON - INTERIOR SOUND TEST - WINDOWS UP, WINDOWS DOWN, WINDOWS UP + MUSIC

K&N TYPHOON - INTERIOR SOUND - HIGHWAY CRUISE

SHORT LAUNCH FOR WEBSITE PHOTO SHOOT

RETURNING LINE - GENTLE SPOOL AND PLUMB BACK
Old 01-04-2009, 05:08 PM

Car Info: Porsche 911 GT3
you are doing a great job documenting everything you're doing. i got the SPT intake for my car. i honestly don't like the "woosh" sound very much.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:23 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MyNikonLens
you are doing a great job documenting everything you're doing. i got the SPT intake for my car. i honestly don't like the "woosh" sound very much.
I find that sound to be a real love/hate thing. People either can't stand it, while others drop their pants every time they hear it, haha. And thanks, I'm considering posting up a full write up for the intake install (I took so many pictures!), but the directions were very straight forward, so I figure the best I can do is create a supplemental guide.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:39 PM

I purchased this book before doing anything to my car. It has great tips and guidelines to what you should and should not to your car. Of course your car is much newer.

http://www.amazon.com/High-Performan...1119536&sr=8-1
Old 01-04-2009, 05:40 PM

I installed the Anti-lift kit and bump-steer from whiteline on my 07 after reading the book.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:27 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MyNikonLens
I installed the Anti-lift kit and bump-steer from whiteline on my 07 after reading the book.
I'd imagine they add a considerable amount of NVH? Thanks for the helpful link, it seems like a worthwhile text to read... Can't hurt learning more
Old 01-05-2009, 09:22 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
I want a crinkle red k&n CAI. My Cobb Heat Shield rattles too... I'm going to try and eliminate it with a washer to distribute the 3rd bolt's torque.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
Originally Posted by Boost Addict
I find that sound to be a real love/hate thing. People either can't stand it, while others drop their pants every time they hear it, haha. And thanks, I'm considering posting up a full write up for the intake install (I took so many pictures!), but the directions were very straight forward, so I figure the best I can do is create a supplemental guide.
I drop my pants. WOOSH
Old 01-05-2009, 10:48 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by medicSTi
I want a crinkle red k&n CAI. My Cobb Heat Shield rattles too... I'm going to try and eliminate it with a washer to distribute the 3rd bolt's torque.
It's the lower bolt of yours thats allowing the rattles too, right? My upper one looks like its doing its job nice and snug.

...and yes, I'm a pant dropper too
Old 01-05-2009, 01:18 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
How are you liking that K&N mine jacked my tune up pretty bad and the complaints of heating up my MAF so I switched it back to stock. Have you heard anything about making it better with a tune? I'm thinking of putting the silicone hose after the MAF. Anyway great job documenting the tune very helpful
Old 01-05-2009, 02:07 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Shayhan27
How are you liking that K&N mine jacked my tune up pretty bad and the complaints of heating up my MAF so I switched it back to stock. Have you heard anything about making it better with a tune? I'm thinking of putting the silicone hose after the MAF. Anyway great job documenting the tune very helpful
Did you read my brief review about how it drove? That was as described on stock tune. I am not going to reflash to my custom tune with this intake, as I feel things may get dangerously lean. To be honest, I'm going to be very cautious when driving the car between Sunday when I install the turbo+tmic+bpv and Tuesday, when I get the tune done. As long as I'm not rolling hard into boost or going full throttle though, I should be fine. I will try to putt it along for those trips.

I too considered a silicone hose solution after the maf, it would be ideal, but I do appreciate the K&Ns piping all the same. I just wish it would have had an air straightener like stock, for more consistent readings. I expect that with the custom tune, things should run very nicely. At the moment though, it certainly feels a little stumbly when you demand power or increase load immediately, in comparison to my custom tune.

Last edited by Boost Addict; 01-05-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:49 PM

Car Info: Jaguar XJR, VW Corrado, 911 Carrera
You sir, have ALOT of time on you hands... None the less, thanks for all the info

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boost Addict's 08 WRX Project - 233whp/334wtq - Pics, Vids, Dyno