General Tech / How To's / Installations Technical discussions about the USDM 2008+ WRX and WRX STi.

09 WRX - will not stay idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 06:04 PM

Car Info: 2009 WRX
09 WRX - will not stay idle

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and was hoping someone can help me with a recent problem with my 2009 WRX. Engine Mods are: Perrin FMIC, Invidia Catless Downpipe, Invidia Cat Back exhaust and Access Port running Stage 3 map from Perrin. I have not had the time to get it Pro-Tuned but that is something that will be down the line. I have other mods also with Suspension etc but my issue is with the engine. So, i have had no problems with this car since I bought it back in 2009. The car was running good and I dont push the car and always drive it casual as I am a light driver. So I recently went to Subiefest 2012 in Fairplex Pamona and drove back home to San Jose, CA. Car ran great with no issues going to LA and coming back to San Jose. Then after maybe 2hrs of sleep, I went to go run some errands and hit the freeway then I hear a sudden jerk then the car started bogging and eventually died down. I was able to coast my way to the side of the road. So, the car starts and idles just fine but after a few seconds it starts to have a bogged sound like its not getting a constant steady amount of fuel. It keeps doing this when i start it then it boggs down and eventually dies out even when i'm on the gas. I can smell the fuel so I know that fuel is getting in, however seems like something is not igniting which is causing the excess amount of fuel smell, then black smoke burning off from the exhaust. It will hold idle for a few seconds, then boggs then dies. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be the problem? I have it back home now and was able to take out the spark plugs and coil packs. I have to wait until tomorow to check on the compression as I have killed the battery trying to fix it on the side of the road. Has anyone ever had this symptom that can maybe point me to the direction of where the problem may be? thanks guys.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:16 AM

Car Info: 2008 SSM WRX Premium
Are you throwing any codes? I'd run an OBD-II diagnostic and see what comes up as a starting point.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:47 AM

The weird thing is its not throwing any codes at me. The engine wont run long enough to throw a code at me. I do remember my CEL came on during the drive back home from LA, then it was throwing the P013 code. "P013 means the 02 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2)" - i have had this CEL code thrown at me before since i'm not running a Cat on my car. The guys at Perrin told me before that it may throw that code every now and then because of my setup and they were to give me a new map to clear that out but I got busy and never really followed up (my fault). I have seen that code maybe 3-4 times since I have had the car only during cold winter seasons here in the San Jose Bay area - I would just clear the code with the access port and be on my way. After i got back from LA, the last thing i did is to clear the code. Im thinking maybe a bad O2 sensor that is causing my car to run too rich because the ECU is relearning everything and thus the black smoke and bogging and cant hold idle. I checked the spark plugs and they are crazy fouled on all 4, i could still smell the gas when i pulled the plugs out (which is a ***** to take out on the driver side by the way). I'm going to get some new spark plugs and a new O2 sensor today and put it all back. any thoughts? thanks Mike.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:07 AM

Car Info: 2008 SSM WRX Premium
I'd say its a safe bet that its a malfunctioning 02 sensor(s). Hope new plugs and sensors works out for you

Mike
Old 10-08-2012, 10:49 AM

Car Info: bugeye WAR wagon
i had idling issues with my 03 wrx... needed a new front 02 sensor and Idle Air Control Valve...
same thing every now and then id get a malfunctioning 02 sensor cel. but my car never died out while running. i could drive it but it felt like driving an out of sync over/under dual carbureted air cooled vw..
Old 10-08-2012, 04:21 PM

Thanks guys. I figured it out. Its soo stupid. Changed spark plugs and O2 sensor and MAF sensors from what other forums are saying could pose an issue. So, it was still the same problem. So check it...the problem was with the FMIC pipe that feeds to the Turbo. Apparently behind the front bumper it came off and that was the problem the entire time. I clamped everything back in place and runs good now. After spending nearly $180 on unnecessary new sensors... FML!!