General Tech / How To's / Installations Technical discussions about the USDM 2008+ WRX and WRX STi.

09 wrx tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 05:49 PM

Car Info: 09 WRB WRX GE Premium
09 wrx tranny

hey does anyone else feel like you kinda have to force this thing into gear sometimes? i was thinking about draining my transmission fluid and replace it with redline...
Old 11-30-2009, 06:10 PM

Car Info: '08 cadillac cts
Nope, never. Go to the dealer
Old 11-30-2009, 06:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Don't use Redline, it's crap in the tranny. Swepco all the way.

Unless you do a record amount of driving, you shouldn't have enough miles to warrant a tranny fluid change anyways. Take it in, that's why cars have warranties.

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 11-30-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:19 PM

Car Info: 2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
Just out of curiosity, do you "double-clutch"?
Maybe your shifts are going in too fast; my car has that issue (no idea if the similarities between the WRX transmission and the 2.5i transmission are even close). All I do is give it a little more time between shifts and it goes in perfectly.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:57 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX STI
I have to push the clutch in two or three times to gently get it into reverse. But all other gears are fine. Owners manual recommends the clutch hit the floor between gears, are your doing that.

Its hard to diagnose with such little description.

Also, I was just thinking. Previous manual trannys Ive driven (E30, Blown Taco, Ranger), you can slam it into gear without syncros stopping you and the transitions was pretty smooth without paying attention. The subie was my first introduction to a somewhat picky tranny. I can still force it into every gear without concern of the RPMs, but its for sure wearing parts faster. I learned that my subie has a little idle hang and to shift the smoothest and have the "gates" <---? open as the syncros match, I need to wait till the RPM just start to drop then the shifter drops into gear. Otherwise, with only a gentle amount of pressure, these "gates" help me decide when to let it into gear and release the clutch.

The clutch synchronizer focuses on the gears in the transmission, which are called cogs. The cogs all have matching teeth that fit together when they turn if they are fully engaged. In order for the cogs to engage, or connect together, they must line up completely, and be turning at the same speeds. A clutch synchronizer uses friction to line up the cogs so that they can engage. It also aligns their speeds, and uses a device called a blocker ring to keep the cogs from engaging until they are fully synchronized. (From ehow.com)

http://www.howstuffworks.com/transmission3.htm

Maybe you not waiting for the sync to happen? Are you being **** blocked?

Last edited by ScoobySon; 12-01-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobySon
I have to push the clutch in two or three times to gently get it into reverse. But all other gears are fine. Owners manual recommends the clutch hit the floor between gears, are your doing that.

Its hard to diagnose with such little description.

Also, I was just thinking. Previous manual trannys Ive driven (E30, Blown Taco, Ranger), you can slam it into gear without syncros stopping you and the transitions was pretty smooth without paying attention. The subie was my first introduction to a somewhat picky tranny. I can still force it into every gear without concern of the RPMs, but its for sure wearing parts faster. I learned that my subie has a little idle hang and to shift the smoothest and have the "gates" <---? open as the syncros match, I need to wait till the RPM just start to drop then the shifter drops into gear. Otherwise, with only a gentle amount of pressure, these "gates" help me decide when to let it into gear and release the clutch.

The clutch synchronizer focuses on the gears in the transmission, which are called cogs. The cogs all have matching teeth that fit together when they turn if they are fully engaged. In order for the cogs to engage, or connect together, they must line up completely, and be turning at the same speeds. A clutch synchronizer uses friction to line up the cogs so that they can engage. It also aligns their speeds, and uses a device called a blocker ring to keep the cogs from engaging until they are fully synchronized. (From ehow.com)

http://www.howstuffworks.com/transmission3.htm

Maybe you not waiting for the sync to happen? Are you being **** blocked?
HAHAHAHA!!! That last part got me =)

To the OP, is it only hard to shift into when it's cold, or does it happen well after both engine and transmission are warmed up?
Old 12-01-2009, 01:22 PM

Car Info: 09 WRB WRX GE Premium
alright thanks all, i guess im gonna take it in to the dealer tomorrow. but I bet their answer is going to be its fine or its normal...

anyways take care all.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:48 PM

you still havent described whats wrong. For now, as I would say at work, most likely user error.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:54 PM
VIP Member

I have that problem too, sometimes first also (but that isn't as common as going into reverse). From what I hear, that's normal with the Subaru 5-speeds. Some say common with majority of 5-speeds, but the Suby is the only one I've driven on a regular basis.

Actually, I was in a MazdaSpeed3 (a 6-speed) that didn't like going into reverse.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
I have that problem too, sometimes first also (but that isn't as common as going into reverse). From what I hear, that's normal with the Subaru 5-speeds. Some say common with majority of 5-speeds, but the Suby is the only one I've driven on a regular basis.

Actually, I was in a MazdaSpeed3 (a 6-speed) that didn't like going into reverse.
I noticed this with my Blown Taco too. The only other thing, other than a 5-spd, that the subie had in common was having to be at a complete stop to put it in reverse or else it grinds even with the clutch pressed to the floor. Other 5-spds, like the E30, was cool to be moving and throw it in reverse with the cluth pressed, no grinding.

Sometimes if I am on a hill and it wont go in reverse, I'll roll the car SUPER slow and put it in reverse. I can actually push the stick against Reverse and as i roll super slow the stick drops into gear. I think it has to do with lining something up.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:26 PM

In the owner's manual, it actually says to re-engage the clutch pedal if reverse doesn't immediately go into gear.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:08 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX Limited (sold 2009 WRX beast)
from my experience with other cars, the subie IS tuffer shifting. Some cars are just like that where it will take more effort to get it in gear rather than other cars that may just glide into gear. I have the same issue putting it into rev tho. I sometime have to pump the clutch to get it in gear. kinda a pain in the ***.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:11 AM

Car Info: 2009 Subaru WRX Hatchback
My cousin who has an 09 wrx hatch also has this problem a lot. I only have it happen once in a while. Again both of ours happen in getting into reverse also.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:14 PM

Car Info: 2009 wrx
i hate how it's hard to get it into reverse sometimes. my fav situation is when i stop in my lane because i want to reverse into a parking spot along the curb. i stop in the middle of the lane, try to get in reverse, try to get in reverse, try to get in reverse, try to get in reverse, all while millions of cars pile up behind me.

i don't really got probs shifting into any of the forward gears though
Old 12-10-2009, 03:58 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by donkeykong
i hate how it's hard to get it into reverse sometimes. my fav situation is when i stop in my lane because i want to reverse into a parking spot along the curb. i stop in the middle of the lane, try to get in reverse, try to get in reverse, try to get in reverse, try to get in reverse, all while millions of cars pile up behind me.

i don't really got probs shifting into any of the forward gears though
I hate when that happens!

Quick Reply: 09 wrx tranny