General Tech / How To's / Installations Technical discussions about the USDM 2008+ WRX and WRX STi.

+08 sedan rear diffuser

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:41 PM

Car Info: 2010 Impreza 2.5i Premium Boosted
+08 sedan rear diffuser

Anybody know where I can get one? I want a CF rear diffuser and I've looked so hard but can't seem to find anything. Alot of talk about them but never an actual product. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:46 PM

Car Info: 2010 997.2 GT3
Originally Posted by iDriveMyi
Anybody know where I can get one? I want a CF rear diffuser and I've looked so hard but can't seem to find anything. Alot of talk about them but never an actual product. Thanks.
When you think you have searched all for your 3G. 3GWRX never fails http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php/topic,13573.0.html

Vim says it is still in production and won't see a prototype for another 3 weeks, but I am going to try making one out of CF this winterbreak. Hopefully it goes well.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:43 PM

Try making one? that sounds fun!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:50 PM

Yeah, it's one hell of a project, I got a big insulation board and stated the cutout. I am kind of just winging it, hoping it goes well! haha I am trying to make it so it covers up the left exhaust cutout since I have an invidia n1.
I hoping to have it rise up on the bumper a bit like the mature diffuser.

But a lot of me wants to re-evaluate and make it like the voltex one!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:55 PM

Well both of those are badass. I was thinking of something a little more subtle though.
You know the part where the exhaust is on the stock bumper.. I want that gone and a CF one with a few vortex generator looking things on it and to cover the left one because I plan on getting papa bears N1.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by iDriveMyi
Well both of those are badass. I was thinking of something a little more subtle though.
You know the part where the exhaust is on the stock bumper.. I want that gone and a CF one with a few vortex generator looking things on it and to cover the left one because I plan on getting papa bears N1.
Yes indeed! Well just judging by my car and it's color, subtle isn't my thing hahaha But I do know what you mean. I know exactly what you are talking about, and that was a type of design running on my mind for the first one I am making. But then this go big or go home mentality came out of no where haha. Well I will keep this thread updated as to how my adventures go. haha
But yeah get Papa Bears N1 I love mine, and if you can't stand the drone you can always trade with me I have the resonated version.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:04 PM

Yeah keep me updated and maybe we can make one together for my car.
I went to my first meet on sunday and everybody had an exhaust expect me and I felt left out so I definitely want to get one and I want people to hear me. And the look of the single on our cars is pretty sick.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:14 PM

Yeah forsure, sounds like a plan! I don't think it will be too hard. Although my plans on working on the diffuser are on hold until I come back from college, so in like a week. haha
That's cool! Yeah I remember the only time I ever bothered going to meets was the first month or so I got my car, it was pretty much stock. I haven't been to one since, and boy have things changed since then. Yeah you can't go wrong with the great price of the N1 and the the angled single exit. haha the only reason why I got the N1 was to save weight, and since it was a single exit on the passenger side, that weight would offset the weight of the driver so it would be a bit more balanced haha.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:41 PM

Yeah i like the angle of it and it sounds sweet! and if it is too loud for me i will take you up on the offer to trade. Do you know how to make CF stuff? Is it like fiberglass?
Old 11-30-2010, 01:37 AM

Yep! Yeah I will be down if you want to just let me know, I wouldn't mind either way. Well I have worked with cf a few times, I got the hang of it. I am thinking about going with fiberglass for the diffuser because it won't be that much heavier and I want to paint it black. But the second time around I will make it CF, or even Kevlar The one reason why I am discouraged from making it out of CF is because it would use a lot of cf. I picked up my cf at a shop it is unidirectional but was 10 bucks a sq. foot. I asked about the price for 2x2 twill and they said it was 60 bucks per sq. foot. Which isn't that bad but if I mess up, there goes 100 bucks or so. Thats why I want to do Fiberglass first and then give it a shot. We will see though how the first one turns out. I am in the process of making a gurney flap out of CF for my STi wing. And before I left everything was looking good.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:46 PM

Car Info: 2009 WRB WRX Sedan
I was thinking to make one thats like a merge between the two. i wanted to run it up the bumper as well to cover the other hole but wanted the "agressiveness" of the Voltex. But I dont have any experience with anything maybe Ill make it out of contruction paper or something. It might last about 2 seconds or so.hahaha
Old 11-30-2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by hwob90
I was thinking to make one thats like a merge between the two. i wanted to run it up the bumper as well to cover the other hole but wanted the "agressiveness" of the Voltex. But I dont have any experience with anything maybe Ill make it out of contruction paper or something. It might last about 2 seconds or so.hahaha
Hahaha you would do that, take pics and lmk how that turns out, and send me the data from the wind tunnel results haha.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:13 AM

Car Info: 2009 WRB WRX Sedan
Ill find all the budget ways for anything haha. but i do make little mock ups of some sort of course so cardboard might come into play from time to time. I just did a 20g steel plate for my under carriage. its pretty much a square now though because I came up with a different idea with izzyidk. ill post pics in a few. I need to get my Rack and pinion replaced due to some leaking.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by hwob90
Ill find all the budget ways for anything haha. but i do make little mock ups of some sort of course so cardboard might come into play from time to time. I just did a 20g steel plate for my under carriage. its pretty much a square now though because I came up with a different idea with izzyidk. ill post pics in a few. I need to get my Rack and pinion replaced due to some leaking.
Cardboard isn't a bad idea for a mock-up and then skinning it or something or using that as a template. hrmmm
Is the leaking causing any handling issues?