General Tech / How To's / Installations Technical discussions about the USDM 2008+ WRX and WRX STi.

Headers up pipe or intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 09:09 PM

Car Info: 09 WRX E85 tuned
Headers up pipe or intercooler?

So I am getting new mods for my 09 WRX and I am not sure what to get first. Should I get a new intercooler (FMIC a Turbo XS) first or should I get headers and an up pipe (perrin)? Which one do you guys think I should get first or does it really matter? Thanks!
Old 12-25-2010, 12:14 AM

Car Info: 2009 WRB WRX Sedan
You could get away with the headers and up pipe with stock intercooler but you would have to play it safe when tuning. Average range of our stock TMIC blowing is around 20psi.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:51 PM

Car Info: 2016 STI
Your driving a 09 right? You dont need to get an uppipe as your stock one is catless already and flows just fine. unless your wanting to externally gated.

Have you done any mods at all? if you have not done any mods yet, might I suggest a downpipe, intake and a tune first. Those will give you the best return on investment. I wouldn't go front mount on a stock turbo either, unless you like turbo lag.

Stock headers are fine for making over 450 hp at the wheels Trust me I had stock headers on my old setup and was putting down 410 at the wheels. budy of mine is putting down 450 and timeattacks his car all the time and is running stock headers.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:07 PM

Car Info: 2006 CGM Impreza WRX/ 1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
Originally Posted by Chris_M
Your driving a 09 right? You dont need to get an uppipe as your stock one is catless already and flows just fine. unless your wanting to externally gated.

Have you done any mods at all? if you have not done any mods yet, might I suggest a downpipe, intake and a tune first. Those will give you the best return on investment. I wouldn't go front mount on a stock turbo either, unless you like turbo lag.

Stock headers are fine for making over 450 hp at the wheels Trust me I had stock headers on my old setup and was putting down 410 at the wheels. budy of mine is putting down 450 and timeattacks his car all the time and is running stock headers.
Quoted for truth. Also think about your warranty if you have one. As mentioned your first mods should be intake/downpipe/tune or even a simple accessport stage 2 tune. I'm running an Invidia V1 catless bellmouth downpipe and a K&N Drop in. I don't run fender liners so I have heater ducting acting as my silencer delete. Sound great and works wonders hahahahaha. Kinda ghetto rigged? yes. But does it work? Absolutely.

With the Intake/dp/tune you'll get the best bang for your buck. Next step would be saving up for colder spark plugs, bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, bigger turbo. By the time you are at the point of changing up your turbo setup you'll know plenty from your research to know what you're looking for/cost/brand. BTW if you plan on beefing up your engine, don't forget about the drivetrain.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:51 PM

Car Info: 2010 997.2 GT3
Originally Posted by hwob90
You could get away with the headers and up pipe with stock intercooler but you would have to play it safe when tuning. Average range of our stock TMIC blowing is around 20psi.
Quoting the truth again...I blew my stock TMIC on a stage 2 tune at 16psi. But he should be safe with headers, I do suggest a tune though.

Don't waste your money on Perrin Headers you'll find your money more worthwhile with GTspec headers that come with the 3 bolt up pipe, also the welds and quality is better as well.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:07 PM

Car Info: 04 sti
i wouldnt get any of those i would bot a new turbo for a little more and get a tune for not to much more
Old 12-27-2010, 07:58 PM

Car Info: 2010 997.2 GT3
Originally Posted by danktothedome
i wouldnt get any of those i would bot a new turbo for a little more and get a tune for not to much more
He'll probably need injectors and a fp too. but at that point he'll need a new turbo unless he can get one with the LGT flange, but if I can blow my stock tmic on a VF52 stage 2. he'll need a new one.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:19 PM

Car Info: 2009 WRB WRX Sedan
I find it crzy that people are blowing them at 15 16psi I am at 17+ and have been running about 6000+miles like this and have had no problems. maybe Im just lucky or it could be a 08 thing
Old 12-29-2010, 12:34 PM

Car Info: 09 WRX E85 tuned
Been out of town for a while and have not had time to look at the forums. So I have done some mods already... I have a full turbo back exhaust with intake and a stage 2 tune. I am just going through the next steps to make this thing Awesome! I have already got the headers and up pipe on order. EQ tuning are taking care of me with some custom stuff. Should be bad***! I will be getting the Process West TMIC, new spark plugs, fuel pump, and everything else in Feb and then I am going to have ED at EQ tuning do a full tune. After that I am done with engine stuff and just need some coilovers and some new brakes. Thanks for all your inputes!