Forester XT Research

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 11:40 AM

Car Info: Forester XT
Question Forester XT Research

I'm considering purchasing a 2004 Forester XT in the next month or two since I'm moving up to Lake Tahoe for the snow season. Do any current owners out there have any gripes about them? I know they've only been out for a month or so, but I thought I'd ask.

JD
webmaster@wrxhackers.com
www.wrxhackers.com
Old 09-05-2003, 08:59 AM

Thanks. I see what you mean. I just put together a little excel spreadsheet comparing the STI RA 5spd, the WRX, and the XT transmissions. An XT with a 3.9 or 4.11 rear end looks like it'd be a lot better as far as cruising goes. My ERWR's were roughly calculated based on published numbers of gear ratio and MPH top speeds for all of the vehicles. The MPH numbers are probably off by a few MPH here and there. Here's my results:

http://www.wrxhackers.com/members/wackie/gears.xls

JD
Old 09-05-2003, 10:47 AM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
There are some good comments and discusson here too:

http://www.subaruforester.com/forum/index.php

I'm fast approaching 4K miles. I've been very happy with mine so far.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Ballistic
. . . the XT 5-speed ratios are the same as in the WRX. . .
Thanks, I'll update the spreadsheet.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:25 AM

the XT 5-speed ratios are the same as in the WRX. In other words, 1st gear remains the same as in your table, but the other 4 gears are a bit taller. Still WAY too short, though. An XT with the 3.9 final drive would have been magical. Unfortunately, I've been quoted upwards of $3,000 to convert.
That's unfortunate. I like the ratios on the gears for the Forester much better than the WRX. Why in the world is it $3000 to convert the rear end? I imagine you'd need a new rear end, possibly new axles and maybe a new driveline. Was it mostly labor costs? Do you have a quote with details?

JD
Old 09-05-2003, 12:34 PM

Because, unfortunately, it's not just the rear end. All-wheel-drive, remember? Both ends. And evidently it requires quite a bit of skilled labor to get the differentials shimmed just right. I wish the cost was lower, because I'd really rather convert my XT to 3.9.
Ok, not enough coffee for me yet today. Sorry, brain fart.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:36 PM

I wonder if the USDM STi 6spd will bolt in. . .
Old 09-05-2003, 01:10 PM

I suppose it might, but even if it did, the ratios (which are appropriate for the STi) are wrong for an XT. 6th gear in the STi box is actually not quite as low (numerically) as the WRX/XT 5th. So the 6-speed box would deliver nice, close ratios, but without the 3.9 final drive, it would worsen the freeway RPM problem.
If you replace the transmission you inevitebly (SP?) replace the front diff, and thus you must replace the rear diff. . .
Old 09-05-2003, 02:43 PM

I'd be interested in your reaction when you get around to test-driving an XT (or, better yet, both a 5-speed and an automatic).
I test drove an auto yesterday. It was tough to modulate the throttle in a turn because it liked to upshift when you let off a tad and downshift again after getting back on it. All in all, not very fun for spirited driving. I imagine throttle steering would be pretty hard as well (never tried it in an auto). I liked the way it felt all together, but I really dislike automatics and have never owned a car with an automatic transmission. I was raised driving tractors and 3-wheelers, what can I say.

I think I'll be ok with the gearing in the manual. I wish the ratios were closer, but I always hated how high the WRX gears were in general. I'll have to investigate the STI 6 spd swap. Sounds like fun.

JD

Quick Reply: Forester XT Research