Forester best in side impact test

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 07:07 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon - Blue
Forester best in side impact test

Hey, I saw a little segment on the news the other day where the insurance institute ran a new test for side impact to simulate getting nailed by a monster SUV. The Forester came out best! The side air bags were a factor, but you would probably have to assume that structural issues were also a big factor. Do you think the same results would apply to a WRX? Same basic frame right (?) and tons of added structural reinforcement. Any way, it is nice to see Subaru doing so well in all of these different crash tests - Legacy, Imprezza and Forester. My wife drives a 99 Legacy wagon and I have a WRX wagon, and it makes me feel much better knowing her car is so safe, but no side air bags. Speaking of which, do you think Subaru will soon use head curtain air bags as well?

P.S. Sorry if this thread is going in too many directions!
Old 06-21-2003, 07:11 AM

P.S Here is the link on the crash test:

http://www.hwysafety.org/news_releas...3/pr061703.htm
Old 06-23-2003, 08:42 AM

Hey Subyfan, glad you and everyone were okay! Gees, what is about cops that makes them all think they are great drivers - most are horrible drivers from what I see out there. I was once in accident with a cop when he hit my friends car - it was obviously the cops fault (he pulled in front of us - no lights on), but he tried to pull being a cop into it all - my friend (who was driving) wouldn't put up with that and stood up to him.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:23 AM

Originally posted by N/A
I think its BS that the car makers talk **** about the testing methods when the results don't go their way but when their car gets a good rating they brag about it and make it out to be a perfect test. Now if only they tested the cars for impact ratings against and impact with an SUV.
I think you have a good point, but I wasn't sure if you were referring to Subaru or other companies. What I find to be solid good news is that Subaru does consistently well - above average, with all models in all these tests. I think that says a lot about Subaru safety and engineering. Forester was the best car in this test, the Imprezza was the best in small cars in the offset impact last year, the Legacy is a top performer in its class and on and on. Also, if you check the article I posted and the test I was referring to, it WAS to simulate with a side impact from a very large SUV and again, Forester scored the highest for safety.