Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Mr joshs pulley

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 10:26 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Yes, it will void your warranty on internals b/c SOA can legally and effectively argue that excessive vibrations caused the damage. They are not hard to install though.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:29 PM

damn ur scaring me ban!

but will they notice a black one!?! probably not?

OT: whats a good high flow 3rd cat? i dont want a check engine light - i want cheap - i want a performance increase - and i want stock apperanace (so dealer doesnt notice)

i assume id have to replace it - as my car is like 2 yrs old! (emissions federal stuff?)

what kind of performance gain can i expect with a high flow cat? will i pass emissions?

thnx ban
Old 07-26-2003, 07:14 PM

Light pulleys do help the engine rev faster, but they can be harmful. Here is some good info about why: http://www.spdusa.com/pulley_kit.htm

If you plan to eventually replace your flywheel, then getting a lightened pulley is kinda pointless. They have the same effect on performance, but the flywheel's effect is MUCH greater. In fact the flywheel is probably a better "bang for the buck" mod. But, the odds of needing your warranty are slight if you don't mod the car. And if something does break, it is unlikely to cost more than a few hundred dollars to fix (average repair bill is less than $300). So, if the warranty is your only reason for holding back on a mod, you're basically putting off performance for 5 years over a few hundred bucks. I figure, I own the car, and I'm responsible for maintenance. If I mod it and strip a gear or bend a valve, it's my problem. However, some things, like the leaky front diff seal I have at the moment, I definitely expect to have replaced under warranty. It's a fine line that's hard to define- but too many people think if a warranty as insurance, and it's not. SOA is only responsible for defects in materials and workmanship. But I digress.

With a high flow cat, the dealer cannot legally remove and replace it under warranty for any kind of work. You should still pass the sniffer test with a high flow cat, but you will fail the visual most likely. It's a bit of a grey area, and not many smog testers want to get caught in the wrong part of it. In fact, the ONLY legal mods, at least in stricter states like California, colorado, New York, and the rest are cat-back exhausts. Anything else can fail the visual, even if it isn't any more polluting.

Performance wise, a high flow is worth it. And as long as you keep your 02 sensors in the right places, it shouldn't cause a CEL. Not much I can tell you abotu cheap though- they are $300 or so almost every time I see them. I'm sure someone around here can point you to cheaper ones. In fact, now that I think about it, the MRT headers which INCLUDE a high-flow cat are only $300 +shipping. If you have an RS anyway. I forget now which car you have. If you have a WRX, it's a lot easier to find catless up and down pipes than with high-flows, but catless downpipes are illegal under federal law for highway use. High flows are usually $100-200 more for equivalent pieces.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:30 PM

Light pulleys do help the engine rev faster, but they can be harmful. Here is some good info about why: http://www.spdusa.com/pulley_kit.htm
i read that article but theres some saying that it isnt harmful? and the thing that makes me believe its not so harmful anymore (esp on a boxer engine? - balanced - btw can u link me (i cant find it!) to that comparison of engine designs?) is because cobb tuning sells a lightweight pulley.

i suspect cars (esp ones w/ lots of r&d and time (ours)) have heavy pulleys these days to lower noise level

in addition i drive an auto so no light weight fly wheel for me - another question for you sir - what torque setting should the pulley be installed in under - i have no info on that!
Performance wise, a high flow is worth it. And as long as you keep your 02 sensors in the right places, it shouldn't cause a CEL. Not much I can tell you abotu cheap though- they are $300 or so almost every time I see them. I'm sure someone around here can point you to cheaper ones. In fact, now that I think about it, the MRT headers which INCLUDE a high-flow cat are only $300 +shipping. If you have an RS anyway. I forget now which car you have. If you have a WRX, it's a lot easier to find catless up and down pipes than with high-flows, but catless downpipes are illegal under federal law for highway use. High flows are usually $100-200 more for equivalent pieces.
hmm interesting...yah RS - i wouldnt post in n/a otherwise! MRT headers are good then? thats seems like a good deal (finally bought a stromung catback). so with my bolt ons (josh pulley, ganzflow, stromung and the mrt headers and cat) how much hp can i expect?
Old 07-26-2003, 10:46 PM

There's no false information in Mike's article. I would certainly include him as an excellent Subaru resource along with the ones you mentioned. However, I would also say that his point about the gains being minimal, could be made about the "damage" a light pulley could do. It won't blow your motor up. But it can't possibly be any MORE safe than the OEM; and the gains are minimal. With your flywheel, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you put the stock pulley back on. It just depends on how the evidence weighs out for each individual person. Some people go through engines every few months, and some people, i.e. Mike Shields, always err on the side of caution. Everyone is free to choose his own path to automotive happiness through mods.

Last edited by Kevin M; 07-26-2003 at 10:55 PM.