Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Clatter sound

Old 10-14-2009, 07:25 PM

Car Info: 1993 Impreza L sedan
Clatter sound

Hello peoples,

I have a sound coming from my 1.8 that I've been hunting for a while now but can't make it go away. A pronounced tick-tick-tick like lifter clatter. Does not seem to affect power or smoothness of the engine and changes with RPMs. Put in all new fuel injectors and lifters. What else could make the noise? The valves themselves? Do I need new valve seats or valves? Ideas?

Thanks,

J
Old 11-12-2009, 06:26 AM

Car Info: 1995 GX Wagon AWD EJ18
You need to localize the origin...

My old fav trick is to get a wooden broom handle and put it up against suspect spots and listening to noise coming from that exact spot by placing ear anywhere against the wooden handle... Works like a charm every time

Good luck
Old 11-12-2009, 03:45 PM

Car Info: 1993 Impreza L sedan
Well I tried this trick a while back with a long metal shafted screwdriver and afterwards was "sure" it was the fuel injectors. When new injectors didn't do the trick I removed, cleaned, lubed, and reinstalled all of the lifters. The sound went away for a while and then came back. At that point I was "sure" it was now the lifters. Replaced all of the lifters with new and have only run the car for a couple of days but the clicking is still there. Perhaps less pronounced and it may go away altogether as the new lifters get broken in. If the new lifters don't fix it then I just might have my excuse to put a set of heads off of one of the larger EJ engines on there with some new valves.

Thanks for the reply!

J