Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

08 OBS oil issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 02:45 AM

Car Info: 08 OBS
Red face 08 OBS oil issue

About a month and a half ago I noticed the smell of burning oil coming from under the hood of my 08 OBS with 86k miles. When I got home I saw oil dripping, 1 drop every 20-30 seconds at idle, but the underside of the engine was covered. The drips were coming from the bottom of the oil pump. I drove it another week and the oil smell got worse and so did the amount of oil it used(about a quart that week). Being scared of a fire or blown motor I parked the car and let it sit. Since it never got above freezing since early February I took my wife's car. This week I pulled the timing belt cover and got down to the oil pump to inspect it and found the front main seal 1/3 of the way out and scraping on the back of the crank sprocket. I replaced it with a new on and put it all back together. After I drove the car for 15 minutes or so I got home and look and it was still dripping.

I noticed another oil related issue also. When I checked the oil level originally it was right between the 2 marks. I check it a day later after driving but cool and it was way up the dipstick. The other day when I checked it was normal, I drove it and let it cool and it was normal. Then yesterday I drove it and let it cool and it was way up the dipstick again.

Today I decided to change the PCV valve figuring that may be clogged and causing excessive crank case pressure. It wasn't but I changed it anyway. I'm at my whits end. If I don't figure it out soon It's going to the shop and I hate doing that.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!