Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Will I be reaching 350whp?

Old 03-26-2012, 12:48 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by SeaOfGreen
Lol, the 07 STI has the same motor ever other year had. Funny how people don't understand that, only difference is the factory tune that sucked. So if you trashed your car while on the factory tune then it could happen! EWG on a stock turbo does very little if anything. Ed will tell you the same.......
Not true.
The piston manufacturer was different for 2007 STi pistons.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:00 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Definitely ditch the pulley like everyone has said. You will come close to 350whp with your setup on E85 as long as you have a healthy engine to begin with. I would highly recommend doing a compression and leakdown test before doing any mods to the car.

EWG's do help a bit with the stock turbo when you're pushing the turbo hard. The main reason they help is they take some of the flow requirement off the turbine housing which is quite small in the VF turbos. That being said, its not going to be a 15-20whp difference. I would estimate 5-10whp at most. Good EL headers will make some nice gains, however.

As far as pistons go, the late half of the 2006 production year is when the switch happened. 04 through early 06 cars tend to hold up better and last longer. Once you get into the second half of the 06 productions year, you start seeing a significant increase in ringland failures and the same is true through current models. The stock tunes definitely exaggerate the issue and I always recommend getting off the stock map ASAP. Considering all of this, anytime a customer comes in with a 2006.5+ car they recently purchased, I highly recommend checking out the engine before doing anything else.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 03-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Definitely ditch the pulley like everyone has said. You will come close to 350whp with your setup on E85 as long as you have a healthy engine to begin with. I would highly recommend doing a compression and leakdown test before doing any mods to the car.

EWG's do help a bit with the stock turbo when you're pushing the turbo hard. The main reason they help is they take some of the flow requirement off the turbine housing which is quite small in the VF turbos. That being said, its not going to be a 15-20whp difference. I would estimate 5-10whp at most. Good EL headers will make some nice gains, however.

As far as pistons go, the late half of the 2006 production year is when the switch happened. 04 through early 06 cars tend to hold up better and last longer. Once you get into the second half of the 06 productions year, you start seeing a significant increase in ringland failures and the same is true through current models. The stock tunes definitely exaggerate the issue and I always recommend getting off the stock map ASAP. Considering all of this, anytime a customer comes in with a 2006.5+ car they recently purchased, I highly recommend checking out the engine before doing anything else.

Thanks
-- Ed

What pistons did they switch to exactly?
Old 03-27-2012, 03:47 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Heedz
What pistons did they switch to exactly?
The pistons themselves are still the same in design. I believe they switched factories or foundries and the castings have gotten significantly worse.

-- Ed
Old 03-28-2012, 02:43 AM

The pistons themselves are still the same in design. I believe they switched factories or foundries and the castings have gotten significantly worse.

-- Ed
Yeah I've been trying to figure out the manufacturer/factory.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:23 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Yeah I've been trying to figure out the manufacturer/factory.
It's the same company that makes the fuel pumps for Subaru.
Seems to be rectified on the late 2008 and on pistons.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:25 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

To the OP:

Why not ditch the E85 and use a quality water/alcohol injection system?
Old 03-28-2012, 01:33 PM

Car Info: Subaru STI
Originally Posted by FW Motorsports
To the OP:

Why not ditch the E85 and use a quality water/alcohol injection system?
That was originally the first route I was going to take, but I'm looking for a bit more power so I was told E85 would be the best way to do it..
Old 03-28-2012, 01:35 PM

Thanks
-- Ed
Ed it was great meeting you yesterday your tune was amazing on my friends blue STI, I wish his clutch would of been grabbing better! Anyways I'll be out your way with my STI to get the same exact work done!
Old 03-28-2012, 03:39 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by E85FTW
That was originally the first route I was going to take, but I'm looking for a bit more power so I was told E85 would be the best way to do it..
If you have access to E85 its definitely a better route than water/meth injection. There is no added complexity and potential points of failure and one less tank to think about filling. E85 will also make more power than water/meth injection as you have read.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 03-28-2012, 03:40 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by E85FTW
Ed it was great meeting you yesterday your tune was amazing on my friends blue STI, I wish his clutch would of been grabbing better! Anyways I'll be out your way with my STI to get the same exact work done!
It was great meeting you guys as well. I'm sure even with the de-tuned map, the car had some good get up and go

-- Ed
Old 03-28-2012, 07:45 PM

If you have access to E85 its definitely a better route than water/meth injection. There is no added complexity and potential points of failure and one less tank to think about filling. E85 will also make more power than water/meth injection as you have read.

Thanks
-- Ed
Yup I have E85 stations near by home/on the way to work/by work.. so I'm good!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:46 PM

It was great meeting you guys as well. I'm sure even with the de-tuned map, the car had some good get up and go

-- Ed
Haha thats for sure your amazing man! He's coming back at the same time as me with a new clutch for you!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by FW Motorsports
It's the same company that makes the fuel pumps for Subaru.
Seems to be rectified on the late 2008 and on pistons.
That company is different from the pre 08 models correct?

So if it's been fixed what is the major problem of cracked rings and pistons that earlier models did not have much of an issue with. I know the WOT tune with late AFR change with the newer cars is what seems to be effecting them the most though.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:54 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

That company is different from the pre 08 models correct?

So if it's been fixed what is the major problem of cracked rings and pistons that earlier models did not have much of an issue with. I know the WOT tune with late AFR change with the newer cars is what seems to be effecting them the most though.
I don't believe the problem has been fixed. I still see much more instances of ringland failure in 09+ cars than in pre-07 cars. Even cars that have been running a Cobb OTS map or various tuner's custom tunes since nearly day one seem to have the potential for ringland failures. It's basically a crap shoot. If you get lucky and happen to get 4 well cast pistons your engine will hold up to good power and last a long time. If you get unlucky, however, a few knock events from bad gas or heat soak can take out a ringland with very low mileage no matter what mods or tune you're running.

Thanks
-- Ed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will I be reaching 350whp?