Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Turbo xs Stealth back on a STI? Has anyone done this

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 11:02 AM

Turbo xs Stealth back on a STI? Has anyone done this

Hey gang,

I have been waiting and waiting for my Cobb DP with little news on expected delivery. Looking at other options, has anyone done this Stealth back? and kept the stock STI rear section? It looks like a option for those of us that like the sound of the stock STI.

Any help?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-01-2004, 04:22 PM

Car Info: it's nice
Originally Posted by gt42sti
Hey gang,

I have been waiting and waiting for my Cobb DP with little news on expected delivery. Looking at other options, has anyone done this Stealth back? and kept the stock STI rear section? It looks like a option for those of us that like the sound of the stock STI.

Any help?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave-
You will experience problems with boost creeps, Check Engine lights, and running lean. I'm running on a downpipe/uppipe combo and have these problems. I too kept the rear section thinking it would look stock. These problems are common. Just do a search.

The best thing I have done with these issues is unbolting the muffler section allowing the air to flow and not bottle up at exit. Speaking before I get a turboback, I feel it may be the best option if you want a downpipe.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:27 PM

Rocket,

Thanks man.

So, your saying that any DP I choose...if I leave the stock catback there will be some of the above mentioned issues? I do already have the Cobb AP and things are running smooth at the moment.

That said, what is the catback rear section that looks most stock and is very quiet? Borla STI version?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2004, 07:52 AM

Car Info: 02 Silver bullet
I've got the TurboXS Stealth back (High flow Cat) running to a Stromung duel tip muffler on my 04 STi, and I don't have one bit of boost creep!

This is the same setup I had on my 02 WRX.

I love it!
Old 10-03-2004, 08:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Evo X, 04 STI, 335i, Fit
gt42sti- we have installed several TurboXS Stealthbacks on customers' STIs. The issue of 'boost creep' seems to be on a per customer basis; some of them experience 'boost creep', some do not. Having the turbo ported have fixed all the 'boost creep' issues we have encountered. As for performance gains and sound, the Stealthback definitely produced good power gains, but not as much as running a full 3" catless Turboback exhaust system. The good thing is that there was not much increase in the exhaust sound level when mating a Stealthback to an STI axleback compared to running a full catless system. Hope this helps.

-Soren
Old 10-03-2004, 10:18 AM

Soren,

Thanks for the additional results. Does anyone have a better image description of the different exhaust systems? Any site I can be directed to? I just see the generic small cropped sections in most web stores. Kinda lame

Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-04-2004, 07:45 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
I have a turboxs stealthback on my 2005 STi with zero problems whatsoever. Its connected to a Magnaflow muffler. It sounds powerful yet not loud at all.

I highly recommend the setup.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:50 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
here's a thread that shows why you should get a decent 3" catted or non-catted TBE instead of the stealthback:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594029

The ABM TBE is very nice, well-made, has the random tech. cat, and is not that loud, and it makes way more power while sounding better.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:06 PM

Dahveed,

That is good information for the WRX gang but does not apply to the STI. Different systems.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:46 AM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

lol, I don't know why you'd think that...its not like STi's need 4" TBE's hahahaha.

Vishnu isn't putting anything different than his existing 3" TBE's on STi's...

Also the STi stock axleback is almost as restrictive than the WRX one, the piping is only 2.5".

I should know how restrictive it is, I gave mine to a buddy and he's trying to get HP on the dyno with his WRX, the STi catback is causing tuning problems.

Last edited by Group B; 10-05-2004 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:26 AM

Well,

BS to you as well.

All I am saying is the stock WRX cat back is not the same as a STI cat back. Thats all. Now you have buddies testing the STI cat back to see if its as restrictive as the WRX and that is fine. Post the results.

Feedback is across the board for the Stealthback. Thanks everyone for the input. I have made my decision.

Dave
Old 10-05-2004, 09:25 AM

Car Info: 2008 Red Alert Nissan Titan
Hopefully an aftermarket axle back (in my case the prodrive round tip) along with the stealthback on my '04 STI will be somewhat less restrictive than stock. I don't doubt that 3" piping all the way back will give better flow, but quietness is much preferable to me than a few more lb/ft high up. The only 3" i've heard of that is "quiet" at all is the borla hush, and even that seems to be quite a bit louder than stock. At some point I might swap the midpipe & axleback for something 3" if an appropriate solution is available.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:54 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

The prodrive axleback is indeed much better than the stock axleback.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:39 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
Originally Posted by gt42sti
Well,

BS to you as well.

All I am saying is the stock WRX cat back is not the same as a STI cat back. Thats all. Now you have buddies testing the STI cat back to see if its as restrictive as the WRX and that is fine. Post the results.

Feedback is across the board for the Stealthback. Thanks everyone for the input. I have made my decision.

Dave
lol take it easy on dahveed he's a baller

i know you're excited about the stealthback but man.........

anyway, I forgot to mention that I'm using the stealthback with a magnaflow muffler. it is very quiet. you should hear my car. sounds mean but keeps decibels low, and tons of turbo spool.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:58 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

FWIW, this guy I used to know can't make more than 220whp/205tq in his '04 WRX, with VF34/pink injectors/walbro, Helix up/Helix catted down, and at the end, a complete stock STi catback.

The stock STi catback being 2.5" and restrictive has made the tuning difficult, and it pings like mad when tuned at 230whp. The STi Catback is a bottleneck...

I'll be happy to show you the results when he gets a 3" catback on the thing, he should be making 230-240 w/no pinging...

Quick Reply: Turbo xs Stealth back on a STI? Has anyone done this