Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

New STi owner looking for advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 08:12 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Exclamation New STi owner looking for advise

Hey guys,
I just became a member yesterday and was reading over your forums and you all are clearly pretty knowledgable on cars. I was wondering what you guys recommend getting done to a new STi (just finished break-in). I have about $3500 to work with and don't want to change out the turbo just yet for switching stuff back in case I have to use my warranty. I have a turbo Prelude which I am selling and whatever I make off it I will spend at Jotech Motorsports in Dallas on the STi. Until then I'd like to know what you guys recommend as far as performance with the $3500 to work with. If you could be brand specific I'd be greatly appreciative (i.e. HKS, Blitz, Vishnu, etc...) . Also I've heard issues of a BOV being bad for the STi...any responses would be great. Thanks and I look forward to contributing to the club. PS I'm in the Army so if you need help with that fundraiser let me know.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:56 AM

hmmm... if I had $3500 to spend on my new sti, this is what I would do. (i am not going to recommend many brands because I honestly dont have much knowledge as to what brands are considered the best to go with):
1. Full Turbo-back exhaust (downpipe with an invidia R1 would be my preference) ~ $200 + $600 = $1200
2. Lowering springs ~ $250
3. Winter Tires (if needed) ~ $450-$sky
4. Cobb Accessport ~ $650
5. Tint ~$200
6. Clearing out headlights ~ Free
7. Debadging ~ Free

Thats all I could come up with right now. Sorry I cant recommend brands, I was just fantasizing in my own head.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the help. I am sure this is a retarded question but when you say clearing out the headlights what exactly do you mean. I also hear a lot about the Invidia exhaust. Is it supposed to be pretty good. Another thing is the Cobb Accessport. Is that an ECU. I have been Honda for years so I'm not up with all my Subi lingo yet. By the way I just posted my Jotech quote, check it out. I also live in New Orleans so I have no need for snow tires now. Next year I'll get a pair when I go back to Vermont.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:30 AM

I actually just sold my prelude to get my STi too...

I really like the sound of the Invidia exhaust, so that is why I mentioned that one (http://premium1.uploadit.org/stillwi...a-01-sound.wma). Cobb Accessport is just plug and play, basically wire it up, hit some buttons to load a map, and viola.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:05 AM

Flash it...Accutek
Turboback exhuast ...Helix or APS
intake...Perrin or K&N or APS
port the wastegate...that will run about $2000-2300..and give around 50-60 hp

Springs....Prodrive
whiteline bushings
bars...Cusco....$500-700

Maybe a short shifter--Kartboy,
Tint

If u want a BOV...Forge makes a nice one for $200

All that stuff should put u in the $3500 range.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:58 AM

That Invidia exhaust sounds awesome. Any idea how it compares to the Helix or HKS. I like HKS simply because they offer titanium and I'll save weight where ever I can. Especially in parts like exhaust were that weight savings can often be worth the money (i.e. titanium and carbon) Weight was one thing in the Prelude I failed to address and in the end I wished I would have paid more attention to it. I guess any car this is almost 35G without floor mats has weight as an issue for a reason.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:09 AM

How much faster do you really want to go?

I'd say:

Cobb Stage 2: $1595 (accessport is nice because it's just a reflash. no piggyback to worry about for warranty issues)

Suspension:
-Rear Sway Bar
-Coilovers
-Spring/strut combo

If you want POWER:

-Perrin Downpipe So you are completely catless
-Any exhaust you want- $500-$1000
-Turboxs UTEC -$1000
-Porting wastegate -$200
Old 01-13-2005, 11:28 AM

Hey DChan,

I was just up in your area not to long ago at Ft. Lewis. What an awesome place to live. I'll go as fast as technology will premit me to go. Check out my Jotech quote also posted in this section. I am looking at the HKS titanium exhaust now and a Blitz BOV. What exactly is the TurboXS UTEC? But definitely the Cobb Stage 2. They make incredible stuff and I'd love to keep the warranty easy to return to (putting the stock exhaust components on). Thanks for the help. I'm learning up on the Subi stuff quick. Thanks a lot.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:45 PM

Car Info: 05 Black w/ Gold STi
http://www.turboxs.com/stiutec.shtml -- TurboXS UTEC. It seems to be a popular upgrade. They are around my neck of the woods (DC Metro area) so I might have to check them out once I get some more miles on my STi.

I like the idea of the Cobb Stage 2 since their AccessPort seems to be so freakin' cool. Being able to set the engine to totally off in case I go away for a few weeks and want to make sure no one can start my car, being able to limit the revs to under 3,000 so no valets go 2Fast2Furious in my car, and to being able to convert it all back to stock in a couple of seconds just seems awesome. Getting 50 more hp for $1600 also is pretty sweet. I'm most likely going to go the Stage 2 route once my warranty is up or when it gets closer to being up.

Then I would spend some $ on suspension stuff like other people have mentioned. and the Kartboy short shifter.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:36 PM

I just mentioned this in my other thread but I read up on the Cobb Accessport and it's convience is to much to turn down. I am definetly getting it. I am also going to get the Vishnu TBE, Blitz BOV, Cusco front and rear tie bars, STi pink springs, and whatever intake Cobb recommends due to tuning reasons. The guy at my dealership is pretty cool with up grades (he even offered to sell me a Unichip) and because he has an STi he said he'd be cool with bending a little for warranty reasons. I can't wait to get some decent sound out of this thing (a little power too). Let me know what you guys think.

Performance first, function always.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by MARKSTI
Flash it...Accutek
Turboback exhuast ...Helix or APS
intake...Perrin or K&N or APS
port the wastegate...that will run about $2000-2300..and give around 50-60 hp

Springs....Prodrive
whiteline bushings
bars...Cusco....$500-700
He won't need to port the wastegate if he gets it tuned. Also, he won't need whiteline steering rack bushings because he has an 05. They don't suffer from the soft rubber bushing problem that the 04s do.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:42 AM

Car Info: 2004 STi
No that must be a typo, or that guy got RAMMED up the a$$ LOL

Its only a couple hundred to have it done by Deadbolt, hell you can do it yourself for free if you research, and do some practice runs on spare metal pieces.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by sachin
He won't need to port the wastegate if he gets it tuned. Also, he won't need whiteline steering rack bushings because he has an 05. They don't suffer from the soft rubber bushing problem that the 04s do.
Whiteline makes some nice sway bar bushings and a kick *** rear diff bushnigs set... for 04s.. maybe for a 05s different??
Thay also have a nice chasis lock bolt set

I've have seen a few posts of guys with EM with boost problems,..sooooo
When the exhuast is off, most shops don't charge to much to port the wastegate....its better safe then sorry

Last edited by MARKSTI; 01-15-2005 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by BlackedOutSTi
WOW!!!!!!!!!! $2000-2300 to just port a wastegate....please tell me that's a typo!!! If not, that's insane....just buy a new turbo and you'll still save $$$$
Read the whole post...dumb dumb hahaha..$2000-2300 for the flash/exhuast/intake and having the wastegate ported while the exhuast is off.

Quick Reply: New STi owner looking for advise