Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Meth vs e85

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 09:07 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX
Originally Posted by scoobiedubiedoo
I have a Cobb acessport with 93/e85 and I love e85 you really do feel the power gain. E85 I get 210 miles per tank , and 250 miles per tank on 93 . But since e85 is cheaper it is around the same thing and switching is as easy as clicking a button
I will do a mileage test but I bet it's around the same. Cobb doesn't have an ots map for e85 do they? Or did you do self tuning or get an etune?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:13 AM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Originally Posted by Will George
How often do you need to fill it and how much is it to fill?
What power gains did you see?
Mileage the same?
Overall thoughts?
i buy a 5 gal jug $32 every 3 months or so.

i don't remember too long ago. +20 hp +40 tq? on a mustang
i drive pretty conservative about 25 mpg

it was the only option at the time. just too lazy to remove all the crap off my car and no one tunes ecutek anymore or else i would be driving a stock subaru. i regret ever modding the stupid thing. waste of money.

e85 is the new rage. "cheap race fuel". i'd probably go e85 since it's easier. don't have to mount a methanol kit (i don't even know if kits are still available).
Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX
Originally Posted by 03_Impreza_Al

it was the only option at the time. just too lazy to remove all the crap off my car and no one tunes ecutek anymore or else i would be driving a stock subaru. i regret ever modding the stupid thing. waste of money.

e85 is the new rage. "cheap race fuel". i'd probably go e85 since it's easier. don't have to mount a methanol kit (i don't even know if kits are still available).
E85 seems the way to go. I will hopefully be doing this in the start of the summer season.
Thanks for the input folks! Helps a lot!
Old 06-05-2013, 11:29 PM

Car Info: 06 Subaru WRX STI
Originally Posted by 03_Impreza_Al

there are lots of methanol kits out there, some and most universal, and now with failsafes that are very good and well worth the money. ive already installed my AEM methanol injection kit, just waiting to get tuned in July. ive heard a lot of great results and reviews with methanol. i personally havent heard of anyone having issues of 'catastrophic' events, and with the newer fail safes on the market its more unlikely that, that will happen. E85 would probably have been my other option if it were easy to get in hawaii but it aint. And i hear a lot better gains with E85, but the sound of lower gas mileage turns me off to it. as far as safety, both are very safe to run, higher octane which will allow you to adjust more timing and more boost comes in to play also. with water/meth sounds alot more interesting the fact that you inject water and meth brings temps down in the cylinders and meth is a fuel so pretty much increases your octane, to me sounds much more of a benefit of safety than E85. idk thats just my opinion.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:14 PM

Car Info: 04 Sti Built EJ22 block on E85,
I dont think you will get more power from e85 but you will make "safe" power, I was told my car lost around 60hp when it was switched over due to fuel injector selection currently available, it was 578hp with meth 489hp on 91 no meth before the e85 switch.... as for gas mileage I just got 17.2mpg on my last tank and i defiantly ripped it a few times on that tank so i would say i could get 18.5-19mpg if i totally babied it, pulling 426hp on dyno @15.5 psi.......... and its $3 a gallon and smells good when it dumps out the wastegates

Last edited by DJ_Sniffles; 08-07-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:47 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by DJ_Sniffles
I dont think you will get more power from e85 but you will make "safe" power, I was told my car lost around 60hp when it was switched over due to fuel injector selection currently available, it was 578hp with meth 489hp on 91 no meth before the e85 switch.... as for gas mileage I just got 17.2mpg on my last tank and i defiantly ripped it a few times on that tank so i would say i could get 18.5-19mpg if i totally babied it, pulling 426hp on dyno @15.5 psi.......... and its $3 a gallon and smells good when it dumps out the wastegates
You can definitely make more safe power on E85 than 91 + meth as long as you have the fuel system to support it.

-- Ed