Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Max 04 STI HP or WHP can handle!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 09:06 PM

Car Info: 2004 wrx sti
Lightbulb Max 04 STI HP or WHP can handle!!

Hello Just wanted to know what a stock 04 sti internals can handle. With out open up the engine. I was thinking of turbo back, Cold air intake, 14-15 boost stock turbo, FMIC, and AccessPORT. But thats all I can think of at the time should that max me out or just get me close. Plus could you add what else I need or should get. Thanks
Old 10-28-2006, 09:17 PM

Car Info: 413whp/461wtq
dude, im not tryin to be an asshat or anything, but DO A SEARCH!!! this topic has been covered a billion times. dont be lazy and expect people to throw answers to you. sorry but its better you here it now then later on.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:40 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
934.456784827475866943727489569hp

The mods you listed are pretty much the very basic power adders. Stock internals on the '04 will handle more power than you need to worry about.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:55 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
though, it is pretty hard to do a search with no specific key words, so hes in the right place asking the right question

yeah you will be fine with those mods as long as you dont do any stupid tuning manuvers. Dont waste any money on a boost controler if your just going to run your stock turbo. I would save the money on the FMIC and get a set of headers instead unless you just want to see that IC on the front of your car
Old 10-30-2006, 09:07 AM

Wink

So its best to stay with the stock top mount IC with stock turbo. But when is it best to upgrade the IC. And with the headers I should get Equal Length Split Pulse Headers right?? And well I guess with stock turbo I will just the get manual boost.
One more thing yes I did some search on this did not get any real results. I seen that the perrin turbo back duel tube is a little better than the single tube can anyone shed some light on this? O yea should I go with oil ketch can and a new pulley?
Old 10-30-2006, 02:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Black WRX STI
Here is a link to my build...

You will not see a pully anywhere... why? Bang for the buck... its just not there.

http://www.tcproductionsllc.com/tc_p...s_race_car.htm

This build is nearly complete with a built, ballanced and blue-printed engine... but you can get the idea.

Think engine management... otherwise your stock ecu will correct for all your mods and you will waste your hard earned $$$.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by stealitall
So its best to stay with the stock top mount IC with stock turbo.
That little turbo needs all the help it can get. A top mount I/C will help keep spool up time to a minimum.
But when is it best to upgrade the IC?
There's no defined line on this, but I wouldn't switch to a front mount unless I had a something that flows as much, or more than, an 18G turbo. I would exclude a FMIC from your shopping list if you are going with any of the VF series turbos.
And with the headers I should get Equal Length Split Pulse Headers right??
Not necessarily, it depends on the supporting mods, and less importantly your preference in the exhaust note. Unless you're aiming for big power, port and pollished stock headers should serve you well.
And well I guess with stock turbo I will just the get manual boost.
It's feasible, but I personally don't recommend it. You still run the risk of boost spikes and your ECU will try and work against it as well. Engine management is almost always a better choice.
One more thing yes I did some search on this did not get any real results. I seen that the perrin turbo back duel tube is a little better than the single tube can anyone shed some light on this?
Nope, it's purely speculation and results can vary from car to car. My neighbor has Perrin exhaust w/o cats and it's obnoxiously loud though.
O yea should I go with oil ketch can and a new pulley?
There would be many parts on my shopping list ahead of those two things
Hope that helps.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:12 PM

OK i'm lost lol. So lets make this little more easier I most likely got about 4000+ to spend. SO whats the best mods I should get.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
The decision between FMIC and TMIC isn't only a factor of turbine CFM. If you plan to run the car on a track for multiple laps, a TMIC becomes nearly useless due to heat soak from the engine bay itself which overcomes the cooling effect from air. If you plan to do short runs with a gap in between (stop-and-go traffic, long pauses off boost, etc.) then a TMIC is fine. However, the only way to eliminate heat soak is a FMIC.

Turbo magazine recently did a piece on their project STI and they found that the stock intercooler was useless after only five laps on the track (the air was 245 degrees coming in, 245 coming out as measured by sensors they added to the inlets and outlet.) The FMIC decision is about driving style and use, not just raw power.

I compromised and went for a bigger TMIC and a water sprayer.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:13 PM

I can't find that article anywhere. Did they do the same test with a FMIC?

I think extended turbo lag is as equally unappealing as heat soak. But here's why I'd stay away from the FMIC until it's completely necessary...

Negatives:
Overall cost of an FMIC kit
Need to replace intake with an aftermarket unit
Most FMIC kits displace my precious bugeye fog lights
Increased turbo lag
Will take away from any stealth mods (unless FMIC is anodized or painted black)

Possitive
Overall power increase
Cools charge much more efficiently
Allows for more flow (for upgrading boost or a bigger turbo)

That's why I stand by TMIC until it is no longer usefull and it starts to hold back performance. You won't notice a big gain with a FMIC with the VF series or a 16G turbos. Stick with the STI TMIC or even the eBay unit.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
You didn't bother to read my post. The conditions under which he is going to drive the car are a factor that you are leaving out of your equation. If he is going to take it to the track, a FMIC would help even with a smaller turbo.

You would think the lag from a FMIC would be significant, but I have driven nearly identical VF34 setups (EJ20) with and without FMIC and the spool up was moved only slightly down the RPM band. This was with the APS FMIC, which does come from the factory painted black. I certainly don't disagree with the reasons to keep a TMIC (I did so myself) but where and how you are going to drive it have to be considered.

The article was in Modified, not in Turbo, the issue from July with the 350z on the cover. They did a comparison between FMIC and TMIC, and the stock TMIC heatsoaked in under ten minutes while the FMIC was cooling air an average of 72 degrees cooler the entire day. They measured the differential with temp sensors on either side of the endtanks; this was with their white STI project car.

Last edited by meilers; 10-31-2006 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:41 PM

Well to let you guys know its going aggressive driving no track only because I got a lead foot from my dad lol. He used to drive stock cars!!!
Old 11-06-2006, 07:04 AM

Car Info: 2004 sti wrb
Your best bet is Em, turboback and a larger tmic .....if your in hot weather a fmic is definitely worth the cost. This is a very good combo of mods and you will see about 300 at the wheels with quick response. Em will allow running more boost but safely.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:17 AM

Car Info: WRX --> RX-8--〉E93
these questions will be banned on the Z forums or many others lol read some post