Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Cusco Engine/Transmission mounts

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:00 PM

Car Info: car
Originally Posted by lcjarrett
^^^jimi,

your not going to dent the Pan if you put a 2x4 in between the jack and the oil pan....I had mine installed the other week and the Movement on the engine is very slim to none!!! WRX oem engine mount are so wiggly. Now with the Group-N engine mounts I can start my car and the engine hardly moves. Before the Enigine mounts were installed, my engine was all over the place, making my car move all around... It was so horrible....

SETUP:
Group-N Motor Mounts
Group-N Tranny Mount
Stock STI Pitch Mount
yea, it seems thats how most people are doing it.. i just wanted to play it safe. ive read that someone actually dented theirs on nabisco, not sure how they did it tho..
Old 10-12-2007, 11:12 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Here is what I recommend and what I have installed on the car already:

http://www.turninconcepts.com/produc...products_id=12 (not the shifter though)

http://www.turninconcepts.com/produc...products_id=24

http://www.turninconcepts.com/produc...roducts_id=310 (i have the kartboy ones)

I also have STI 6MT Group-N Trans Mount and Group-N Engine mounts.

no complaints... oh and BTW TIC is an AWESOME vendor.

Jon

Last edited by iNfEk; 10-12-2007 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
^^^That's what I'm about to run as well...good stuff. Brent I don't think I have the problems you have. Mainly because I don't have anything hitting anything else on acceleration/driving. My car is rattle free...for now.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:49 PM

well... Since I had to change out the rear end the R180 is a lot wider than the R160. The exhaust that im running is literally .5" away from the exhaust pipe. With all if the things installed the pipe doesn't bang against the exhaust since I also have the kartboy extended hangers.

On yeah in addition to the things previously posted I have Beatrush driveshaft bushings installed. This increased noise and lowered my driveshaft a bit.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:53 PM

my rattles are due to my drive shaft guard bracket and exhaust touching due to more ridgedness
Old 10-14-2007, 02:36 PM

Car Info: 05 Aspen White STi 02 PSM Bugeye RIP
the biggest concern in deciding if you want the Cusco mounts is if you will drive the car on the street.

believe it or not, the stock AND group-N mounts were designed with the rubber sandwich design so that in the event of an extreme accident - such as a head on collision the motor can tear-away and move under the car, protecting the passengers.

when you move to a Cusco mount, which is solid metal- you loose this ability, and thus i would only put a Cusco mount on a full race car that is a track only toy. on a street car - though highly unlikely, you run the risk of hampering the car's designed crash and impact safety features.

- they're your legs!
Old 10-16-2007, 01:41 AM

Car Info: 04 Toyota Tacoma
Originally Posted by BugeyeMilo
the biggest concern in deciding if you want the Cusco mounts is if you will drive the car on the street.

believe it or not, the stock AND group-N mounts were designed with the rubber sandwich design so that in the event of an extreme accident - such as a head on collision the motor can tear-away and move under the car, protecting the passengers.

when you move to a Cusco mount, which is solid metal- you loose this ability, and thus i would only put a Cusco mount on a full race car that is a track only toy. on a street car - though highly unlikely, you run the risk of hampering the car's designed crash and impact safety features.

- they're your legs!

Wow, good info, never even crossed my mind. I'm glad I have the Group-N mounts.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:18 PM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
Well...the trigger has been pulled.

Ryan at Vakamon is installing my Cusco Engine/Tranny mounts today...

I'll try and give an objective (yeah right...I'm a Cusco guy...) overview of what I feel this afternoon...

On a side note, I recently went over to Brad's house...and he showed me his failed stock STI motormount...It was basically split in half horizontally...I could imagine what his engine was doing over bumps...wow...

He's running Group-N motor/tranny mounts...I asked to see his engine bay as he started his car...there was movement, but very little as compared to mine. Can't wait...
Old 10-16-2007, 02:31 PM

Hey brent let me know when and ifbyou still need the other mount.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:06 PM

Hey Jon,

Daniel (Ojichan STI) wants to pick it up...we'll hook up with you at the next meet...

So just hold onto it...I told him about me picking up the Cusco mounts and that he was interested in picking up yours since I had finally made up my mind.

Any ideas yet where the next meet will be?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:12 AM

Thumbs up Initial thoughts after Cusco mounts were installed...

Ok...first off, I'd like to thank Ryan for doing such an excellent job...He never lets me down...

Initial startup was a shock...I had the hood up and had my friend Roy watch the engine for movement...I could see it under my hood as I started it up...there was a slight vibration...and that was it...WOW!

Prior to the installation, my engine would buck violently side to side like inches...now, it barely moves...

Upon initial start up, there is a pretty violent vibration in the steering wheel, then it settles down very quickly...I can tell there is some NVH, but nothing unpleasant at all...it actually feels good. When I say it feels good, the best way I can describe it is that I feel more connected to the vehicle...I can feel the acceleration, deceleration, etc...very nice.

Upon driving it away, from a dead stop, there was a bit of noise in my passenger front area...but once under way, the car felt about the same NVH wise...

Now comes the next part...shifting...all I can say about this is WOW! I haven't gotten on it hard yet, but from what I can tell so far, the shifting is much more precise and positive. My coordination, shifting wise, has been pretty good I thought, but more often than not, prior to the installation, whenever I got on it hard from a stop...I always seem to slightly mis-shift from 3rd to 4th...well, I now believe that it wasn't me, but the movement of the engine/transmission...because now, the transition is smooth with no hitch between the gears...I'll be trying this out more after I take care of the vibration I found...

So, like I said above, the vibration seems to come and go as I start from a stop...I finally isolated the sound to my intake. I have the APS 65mm CAI and it fits very tightly through the fender hole...now I know what was making that metal to metal contact sound on the highway prior to the installation of my Cusco mounts...I couldn't isolate it before...

So now, I have to find a way to insulate the APS bracket as well as the area where the intake touches the hole...I'm glad I found the source of the sound driving me nuts...but this is going to be a challenge...

In conclusion, I really like the way the Cusco engine and transmission mounts perform, and I do not think they are at all as bad as some have said. But to each his own...some will like it and some won't...at least now, if you want to see, feel, and hear the difference, you can contact me or some of the others listed below.

To me, this is a must sort of upgrade...I wish I would have done this a long time ago...

Cusco or Group-N, you can't go wrong with either upgrade...don't dwell on the two too much like I did...if you don't mind a bit of vibration...go with the Cusco...want something stiffer than stock with not much more vibration, go with the Group-N.

I hope this helps some of you with your decision...

Brent

Brent: Cusco engine and transmission mounts
Steven: Cusco engine and transmission mounts

Jon: Group-N engine and transmission mounts
Brad: Group-N engine and transmission mounts
Jase: Group-N engine and transmission mounts
Lorenzo: Group-N engine and transmission mounts
Old 10-17-2007, 12:22 AM

Car Info: Wave riding vehicle
Hey Brent.Was there any damage to your mounts like there was on mine?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:17 AM

^^^nope

The noise I heard was from the intake moving around through the fender...

So, I may sell my stock mounts to someone with a WRX that wants to upgrade mounts...
Old 10-17-2007, 05:12 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Originally Posted by Island Style
Ok...first off, I'd like to thank Ryan for doing such an excellent job...He never lets me down...

Initial startup was a shock...I had the hood up and had my friend Roy watch the engine for movement...I could see it under my hood as I started it up...there was a slight vibration...and that was it...WOW!

Prior to the installation, my engine would buck violently side to side like inches...now, it barely moves...

Upon initial start up, there is a pretty violent vibration in the steering wheel, then it settles down very quickly...I can tell there is some NVH, but nothing unpleasant at all...it actually feels good. When I say it feels good, the best way I can describe it is that I feel more connected to the vehicle...I can feel the acceleration, deceleration, etc...very nice.

Upon driving it away, from a dead stop, there was a bit of noise in my passenger front area...but once under way, the car felt about the same NVH wise...

Now comes the next part...shifting...all I can say about this is WOW! I haven't gotten on it hard yet, but from what I can tell so far, the shifting is much more precise and positive. My coordination, shifting wise, has been pretty good I thought, but more often than not, prior to the installation, whenever I got on it hard from a stop...I always seem to slightly mis-shift from 3rd to 4th...well, I now believe that it wasn't me, but the movement of the engine/transmission...because now, the transition is smooth with no hitch between the gears...I'll be trying this out more after I take care of the vibration I found...

So, like I said above, the vibration seems to come and go as I start from a stop...I finally isolated the sound to my intake. I have the APS 65mm CAI and it fits very tightly through the fender hole...now I know what was making that metal to metal contact sound on the highway prior to the installation of my Cusco mounts...I couldn't isolate it before...

So now, I have to find a way to insulate the APS bracket as well as the area where the intake touches the hole...I'm glad I found the source of the sound driving me nuts...but this is going to be a challenge...

In conclusion, I really like the way the Cusco engine and transmission mounts perform, and I do not think they are at all as bad as some have said. But to each his own...some will like it and some won't...at least now, if you want to see, feel, and hear the difference, you can contact me or some of the others listed below.

To me, this is a must sort of upgrade...I wish I would have done this a long time ago...

Cusco or Group-N, you can't go wrong with either upgrade...don't dwell on the two too much like I did...if you don't mind a bit of vibration...go with the Cusco...want something stiffer than stock with not much more vibration, go with the Group-N.

I hope this helps some of you with your decision...

Brent

Brent: Cusco engine and transmission mounts
Steven: Cusco engine and transmission mounts

Jon: Group-N engine and transmission mounts
Brad: Group-N engine and transmission mounts
Jase: Group-N engine and transmission mounts
Lorenzo: Group-N engine and transmission mounts
I told you so.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:11 AM

^^^Yeah...thanks man...

Thanks for the push toward the Cusco's Egan...I haven't been let down by this company yet...

I drove the car to work this morning after some wrenching to tighten the APS CAI down a bit last night...and I can say that it is much better!

Although I couldn't tighten down the bracket that mounts the APS CAI to the fender (got home too late to be jacking up the front to remove the fender well) just tightening the silicone hoses seem to quiet everything up...

The only time I heard the CAI moving around this mornig was during rapid deceleration...

I will be installing a plastic/rubber washer in between the bracket and the fender this weekend...something must be telling me that I need to clean the air filter...what a pain it is to get in there to take the filter out...

The car feels totally different now...whenever I rev the car or accelerate hard...I don't feel any movement in the cabin...it's kind of unnerving at first...I'm so use to the rocking, side to side movement produced by the engine...it's replaced by this, as Steven put it..."Race Car" like feel...a light, quick vibration letting your body know what rpm your cars is at...

When I accelerate and deccelerate, I no longer get than thunk when I lift off and go back on the throttle...shifting is still very positive...I got on it this morning shifting from 1st through 4th...yep, solid...

Now I'm looking forward to the rear diff bushing install as soon as it comes in...this is one that I will tackle with some of my friends...
Originally Posted by Egan
I told you so.

Quick Reply: Cusco Engine/Transmission mounts