Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Cusco Engine/Transmission mounts

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:33 AM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
Cusco Engine/Transmission mounts

Been thinking about this for awhile...can anyone help me with some of the questions below?

Anyone have these?

Where did you get them? How much?

How were they to install?

Pm me some info please...

Thanks in advance,
Old 10-01-2007, 01:49 AM

Car Info: 2002 POS
i heard these are harsh! Milo said they have you way more car movement then needed. I was going to get cusco engine and tranny mounts. But I went us Group-N engine and tranny mounts....great upgrade!!! Thanks for helping me BRad!
LOrenzo
Old 10-01-2007, 02:39 AM

Car Info: Rust bucketo
Hey brent .. if you do get these, do you mind posting a review?

Replacing those rediculously soft OEM rubbers were always in the back of my mind, yet I kept telling myself.. "someday.. "

Old 10-01-2007, 03:30 AM

Car Info: kitanai kuroi kuruma
I have these sitting on the shelf. Just haven't found the time to put them in, you know how it goes.

I got it off a private seller on Nasioc. Z1 performance sells them also.

I'll let you know how the install goes and my opinion of the harshness.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:02 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
These are not that harsh at all - that rumor has been floating around the internet forever. I liked the Cusco's on my STi much more than the Group N stuff I had on the WRX previously. The feedback from the car is awesome!
Old 10-01-2007, 07:57 AM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
The Cusco mounts are just fine. The only Cusco parts I ever replaced were the sway bars, and only because the Hotchkis competition bars were lighter and stiffer (and I'm very particular).

San
Old 10-01-2007, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the reply everyone...

yeah...I seem to have excessive engine movement...sometimes driving down H1 on the concrete portion near Ewa, I get these squeaks/creaks...

alright, now to source some out...

Thanks again,

Brent
Old 10-11-2007, 02:47 AM

Car Info: kitanai kuroi kuruma
Finally got these installed. Overall impression is they're great!

There is noticable increase in vibration especially through the steering wheel and shifter. Mostly during idle and when you start off. I haven't noticed any increase in noise, but then again it's so damn loud in the STi that I can't tell. But I must say the benefits outweigh the vibration.

The drivetrain doesn't have that slop you feel going through the gears anymore. I can tell the motor is no longer shaking around as much especially when you start the engine. I know this is a stupid description, but my car just really feels like a race car now, and I like it.

Install was kinda a pain just to get these guys in. If you have a fmic, you'll have to disconnect some of the piping. Loosen the CAI piping. Disconnect the downpipe. I had to take off the front swaybar brackets for my whiteline swaybar (not sure about the stock sways) to be able to get to the motor mount bolts. Make sure you take off one side of the pitch mount also, if not the motor mounts will not line up with the holes in the frame when you drop the motor.

It's kind of scary sticking you arm under the motor to get the motor mounts in, if the jack fails your screwed. I shoved a 2x4 between the oil pan and frame as insurance.

There is a good write up with pics here:
https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...co+motor+mount

The only difference is that my motor mounts lined up perfectly without having to change the orientation of the washers like this guy. Maybe he didn't pay attention to the orientation of the studs and follow the stock mount locations? I also didn't have to cut the metal mounts that the cusco mounts bolt too, just have to bend one a little outwards with a pliers for some clearance, but other than that everything lined up perfectly.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:26 AM

thanks for the info Steven...

Try and go to the meet this Friday...I would like to hear and feel the difference if possible...I'll probably go with the Cusco set that I just ordered...NVH has never really bothered me in the past...I've got some pretty hard items on my car...it's the clunking and creaking that drives me insane...I can really tell that my engine/tranny are all over the place...especially cruising at like 60mph on the uneven concrete slabs between Pearl City and Kapolei...

I'll be picking up a Group-N Transmission mount from Jon on Friday...I'll probably decide last minute which one to put on...but your demo will probably seal the deal for me...

Thanks for the review...

Brent
Old 10-11-2007, 10:42 PM

Car Info: WRX 2002
Thumbs up Cusco Motor Mounts

Originally Posted by Island Style
Been thinking about this for awhile...can anyone help me with some of the questions below?

Anyone have these?Yes

Where did you get them? Gruppe-S How much?It was a while back so I'm not sure

How were they to install?Ryan and Vakamon.

Pm me some info please...It can be a little rough riding. I hope this helps

Thanks in advance,
Please see comments appove.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
What kind of slop are you guys describing? Is it the same as the clunk you get while accelerating hard?

I am getting the TiC Klunk Killer this week...I feel that should be enough for my needs.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:30 PM

Blake...

if you have a manual 5sp like I think you do...you may want to reconsider...

The slop I am talking about is caused by the pronounced side to side wobble that our engines produce...

Remember I had that Weapon R Engine Damper? I had to take it off because of my APS FMIC piping...after I took it off, I really noticed that my engine bay had a lot of noise coming out of it...like I mentioned above...it is a squeaking/metal rubbing kind of sound when I drive at a constant speed over uneven highways...

I am fairly certain that my header is rubbing against the frame while the engine is heaving back and forth side to side due to my engine mounts...
And althought the engine damper helped, I don't believe it is as effective as stiffer engine mounts...

The clunking you talk of during hard/high rpm shifting...is also a concern for me...which is why I am doing both the Transmission mount as well as the Perrin rear differential bushing upgrade...

From reading other posts...just installing the transmission mount (group-N or Cusco) eliminated the thunk during hard shifting...

By installing all three parts, I hope to tighten up the drivetrain...getting my car ready for the STG4 upgrade I have planned within the next few months...
Old 10-12-2007, 08:10 PM

Car Info: car
definately gonna buy these when the money comes around.... i had to lift my engine once or twice to remove my uppipe. i really hate the idea of jacking up the engine on the oil pan so what i like to do is find a piece of wood that can fit in a way so it lifts on the block itself... i just dont want to risk denting the pan...
Old 10-12-2007, 10:51 PM

Car Info: 2002 POS
^^^jimi,

your not going to dent the Pan if you put a 2x4 in between the jack and the oil pan....I had mine installed the other week and the Movement on the engine is very slim to none!!! WRX oem engine mount are so wiggly. Now with the Group-N engine mounts I can start my car and the engine hardly moves. Before the Enigine mounts were installed, my engine was all over the place, making my car move all around... It was so horrible....

SETUP:
Group-N Motor Mounts
Group-N Tranny Mount
Stock STI Pitch Mount
Old 10-12-2007, 10:58 PM

Car Info: Wave riding vehicle
Originally Posted by lcjarrett
^^^jimi,

your not going to dent the Pan if you put a 2x4 in between the jack and the oil pan....I had mine installed the other week and the Movement on the engine is very slim to none!!! WRX oem engine mount are so wiggly. Now with the Group-N engine mounts I can start my car and the engine hardly moves. Before the Enigine mounts were installed, my engine was all over the place, making my car move all around... It was so horrible....

SETUP:
Group-N Motor Mounts
Group-N Tranny Mount
Stock STI Pitch Mount
Hey Lorenzo.I found out why it was such a pain to line them mounts up with the holes.HAHA.I was so tired that I forgot to take off a bolt from one side of the pitch mount.

Quick Reply: Cusco Engine/Transmission mounts