Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Cobb Tuning's initial test data and driving impressions for the 2006 Subaru WRX MT…

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 07:35 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
Originally Posted by Christian.
I apologize for not keeping up on this post...I have been very busy finalizing the maps for the 2006 vehicles. I should be able to thuroughly respond to all questions posted on this thread tomorrow...hopefully

I will keep all parties updated when time allows.

Take care,
Christian.
With all due respect SCREW THIS THREAD ... who cares if you dont keep up with it religiously!!! What will matter most is the end result you produce, so by all means, spend your time on that as you have been! I think we're all waiting for good product, and the longer we wait generally will reinforce a better product... So please take your time... Just keep us posted whenever you have the time time scratch your head.

Also, I was looking at your work in the previous dynos you posted, I'm very impressed with the early power you were able to wring out... Where these done conservatively? Would I be able to expect stock reliability if the cars not abused???

Thanks Christian!
Old 11-14-2005, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Boost Addict
Also, I was looking at your work in the previous dynos you posted, I'm very impressed with the early power you were able to wring out... Where these done conservatively? Would I be able to expect stock reliability if the cars not abused??? Thanks Christian!
Stock reliability with added performance is the idea. With as conservatively as we tuned the maps I do not see a compromise with the reliability of the vehicles. The turbo is definitely out of its efficiency range...but that is how the FXT is as well.

Originally Posted by Boost Addict
Now if the powertrain in the 2006 WRX and the Forester XT are identical
The static compression on the '06 WRX is said to be slightly higher than the FXT. Our dyno test shows that as well.

Originally Posted by tossty
Anything available for the STI 2006 yet?
Yes, maps have been tested and released. The 2006 STi AccessPORTS are shipping today.

Originally Posted by Dodiox
would i get the check engine light on my car with only the exhaust?
would i get any problems at all? i heard about people having fuel cuts with this.
CEL with turbo-back and no AccessPORT = most likely.
CEL with turbo-back and AccessPORT with proper base map flashed = no.
I have not heard of the fuel cut issue, but you CANNOT run any Stage1 mapping with a turbo-back on the vehicle unless you want some low RPM boost spiking. I had to tune the Stage1 mapping that way to counter the restrictive stock exhaust. Although, with a proper turbo-back exhaust on the vehicle, the Stage1 mapping will spike boost.
Dyno numbers are in AWDHP.

Originally Posted by RMD484
anybody know if any definite stage 1&2 numbers are available?
Yes, those stages are finished with testing and they have been released with the '06 AccessPORTs that start shipping today.

Please let me know if I missed anything?

Take care,
Christian.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:33 PM

According to the ECU settings the 2006 WRX fuel injector is much larger than previous years WRX fuel injectors. To follow up on with the injector size for the 2006 WRX; I wanted to show you some Injector Duty Cycles that I datalogged last Friday. It appears the 2006 WRX injectors are indeed larger than the 2002-2005 WRX and ’04-’06 STis. The fuel curve the Stage2 test map starts in the mid-to-high 11s (A/F) by peak torque then tapers down to the high 10s by redline. We are running the v1.00 maps a little rich to be on the very safe side with this first release of the maps. Below is an average of the IDCs I recorded during the Stage2 map tests at wide open throttle:
RPM - IDC
1500 9.1%
2000 14.6%
2500 28.4%
3000 38.6%
3500 48.1%
4000 56.5%
4500 62.2%
5000 64.7%
5500 65.9%
6000 67.7%
6300 69.6%

As you can see from the data, the IDCs are relatively low. Especially considering that some of the stock 2002 & 2003 WRXs we tested were hitting 98%+ IDC with stock ECU programming. We will most likely be forced to sell the Stage3 kit with our new intercooler since the stock intercooler on the 2006 WRX likes to heat soak very quickly. I want to test the STi intercooler to see how it compares as well. Regardless, an intercooler upgrade will be necessary and this will raise the price of our Stage3 upgrade for the 2006 WRX. This upgrade will be necessary in order to keep the motor’s IATs (Intake Air Temperature) at an acceptable, consistent level.

With the Stage3 mapping we will most likely get more aggressive with the fuel curve, run the motor a bit leaner. We should be able to do this partly because the IATs will be lower and that turbo upgrade will be running more close to its maximum efficiency range. We will need to see if it helps with power production as well. If that ends up being the case, then that will also create some more fueling headroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUKnight
Looks like the AP for the 2006's will be released on the 15th. Nice to see is that just going to be the base map or will the choice of 91 or 93 octane be available already? Mike

The initial map list we have developed is as follows:
Anti-Theft v100
Economy Mode v100
Stage1 91 v100
Stage1 93 v100
Stage1 CA91 v100
Stage2 91 v100
Stage2 93 v100
Stage2 CA91 v100
Stock Mode v100
Valet Mode v100
We should have all of these maps loaded on the 2006 WRX AccessPORTs when they are shipped out. We will have all of these maps available as Base or Realtime maps and they can be downloaded for free from our web site, www.cobbtuning.com. I did not spend much time developing an STU map for the SCCA since the rules for 2006 WRX have not been finalized as of yet. We are going to spend some more time testing and developing various maps using the different turbos. This may take a couple of weeks so do not get too excited.

Take care,
Christian.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:33 PM

so did the final hp and tq numbers changed with the final tune you did to the map or is it still the same numbers posted before with the stage 2?
Im a little worried about the new torque on the stage 2. if I recall correctly it was around 270 lbs. what Im worried about is the tranny taking all that torque. do you guys know if the new tranny is actually different or stronger on the 06 wrx?
thanks
p.s. Christian great job with getting the maps ready for the 06 it looks very promising and thanks for keeping us informed.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:30 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
so did the final hp and tq numbers changed with the final tune you did to the map or is it still the same numbers posted before with the stage 2?
Im a little worried about the new torque on the stage 2. if I recall correctly it was around 270 lbs. what Im worried about is the tranny taking all that torque. do you guys know if the new tranny is actually different or stronger on the 06 wrx?
thanks
p.s. Christian great job with getting the maps ready for the 06 it looks very promising and thanks for keeping us informed.
This information may not be all that accurate. But I read (can't remember the source) that the WRX 5-Speed was sourced from the Forester XT... So it's supposed to be stronger.

The strain put on the transmission can be driver-related... Most people who upgrade their car, tend to leave the stock clutch in its place, because its easy to feather, this way, they arent placing any stress on the transmission itself during launch. Others like to drop the clutch at high rpm... that would definitely cause damage sooner or later. I personally also disagree with getting a twin plate race clutch, because YEAH it grabs better and can handle much more power, but ALL that stress is then being managed by the transmission... it will be VERY hard on the tranny. Stock clutches have proven themselves VERY capable of high hp applications, so I dont see how this torque can really do any damage to it as long as its not dumped.

I personally like the way he brought all that torque early on... this means I can behave and drive at low rpm to save gas... and at the same time, I dont have to rev the life out of my engine to launch for a little bisbehaving activity. Peak numbers be damned, look at that smooth band... It's gorgeous, I just cannot imagine how strong that car will feel. My personal guess is 13.4-13.6 in the 1/4 mile WITH A CONSERVATIVE launch... this map tops the stock STIs powerband very successfully. A stage 2 06 WRX should have no problem putting a cars gap on a stock STI...

I'm impressed. Awesome work Christian, and thanks for all the responses!!! Would love to see some 0-60 numbers and/or 1/4 mile figures when time permits!

Last edited by Boost Addict; 11-15-2005 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:29 AM

Im a little worried about the new torque on the stage 2. if I recall correctly it was around 270 lbs. what Im worried about is the tranny taking all that torque. do you guys know if the new tranny is actually different or stronger on the 06 wrx? thanks
No the final #s did not change for Stage2. I just wanted to verify and find tune the maps.
Yes different, the current 5-speed transmissions for the 2.5L motors are similar to the LGT and FXT fortified 5-speeds.

Thanks,
Christian.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:53 PM

Car Info: 2006 Red WRX
Stage1

Just to clarify, did the numbers change at all from the original stage1 you posted?
Old 11-16-2005, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by brian06wrx
Just to clarify, did the numbers change at all from the original stage1 you posted?
No, I reworked some of the low RPM ignition tables to get some more consistent performance, but that was it the power curve did not change with those revisions.

Christian.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:19 AM
wu!

Car Info: '18 WRX Premium, '14 320i xDrive
Hi, I am an owner of a new '06 WRX interested in Cobb Stage 1 or Stage 2. I am curious about the dyno numbers for HP shown for the stock '06 and stock pre-'06.

For the pre-'06 model, the WHP is shown as 169.9 for stock and 195.4 with Stage 1. Subaru lists the flywheel power at 227 HP while Cobb markets the Stage 1 with 260 HP.

For the '06 model, earlier in the thread, I saw WHP for the stock model at 202.0 and Stage 1 at 202.4. Subaru lists the flywheel power at 230 HP, and Cobb markets the Stage 1 at 260 HP.

Well, my question is, is Subaru severely underrating the flywheel HP of the '06 WRX? If so, what do you think the real flywheel HP is? Closer to 260HP?

Thank you for your time.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:31 PM

I test the 06 sti just today and to be honest the difference between my 06 wrx and the sti is not that much now. I know the sti has all the goodies like better breaks and tranny etc but speed wise its not that different from the new wrx.
I was gonna trade my wrx for the sti but i don't think its worth it now that the stage 2 is out there putting those numbers on the wrx.
i would say that the wrx with the stage 2 will be very very VERY close to the sti in a straight line.
yeah Christian how many hp would you say the stock 06 wrx has to the crank?

Last edited by Dodiox; 11-17-2005 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:08 PM

yeah Christian how many hp would you say the stock 06 wrx has to the crank?
Without running the motor on an engine dyno, I do not want to take a guess. I will state that the OEM #s are greatly underrated IMO. Torque is more underated than HP IMO.

Christian.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:57 PM

2006 Stage1 93 octane

Hey guys I am now at stage1 and I must say it is a very noticeable increase in power, especially low-end to midrange. First gear has really come alive and second and third are even better now. The hesitation around 3000 rpm is gone and the power band much smoother, along with a nice improvement in throttle response.

Overall I'm very impressed, to Christian and the rest of Cobb great job on this product, I will definitely be getting the cobb tbe next to go stage2.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:53 PM

Hey guys I am now at stage1 and I must say it is a very noticeable increase in power, especially low-end to midrange. First gear has really come alive and second and third are even better now. The hesitation around 3000 rpm is gone and the power band much smoother, along with a nice improvement in throttle response.

Overall I'm very impressed, to Christian and the rest of Cobb great job on this product, I will definitely be getting the cobb tbe next to go stage2.
great to hear!!! i can't wait to get mine
Old 11-19-2005, 01:10 PM

Christian, can you post a final test graph/dyno for the stage1 results with 93 octane? Also , was the original post with the stage 1 results based on the 91 or 93 octane map?
Old 11-19-2005, 03:34 PM

Christian, can you post a final test graph/dyno for the stage1 results with 93 octane? Also , was the original post with the stage 1 results based on the 91 or 93 octane map?
I am glad to hear you like the mapping. I am really interested to hear other peoples' feedback. I have been paying close attention lately, but I think I need to give more end users time to flash the base map and drive around. I do have the Stage1 93 MTv100 dyno results; although, I will most likely not post them. I want to simplify the dyno results to the 91 octane standard Stage1 vs. Stock, Stage2 vs. Stock, & Stage1 vs. Stage2. I need to develop a better, less time consuming, etc. system that will allow me to better manage the dyno graphs. The dyno computer is not connected to our network so getting to these maps, formatting them, composing write-ups, hosting files, etc. is very difficult and timely to do. I do not want to make a simple mistake of posting a dyno graph then labeling it wrong...or something along those lines. I want to cut down on confusion as much as possible. The differences between the various maps (91 vs. 93 octane in this case) can be minor. In the past I posted versions of the various maps and I was bombarded with e-mails, phone calls, etc. questions asking why; why do you run less boost in the CA maps vs. the 93 octane maps, why does torque peak here instead of here, why do you run more ignition advance here with this map over this map, what were your EGT readings during your map development, why did you taper boost here instead of holding it to redline, why don't you make a map for some ungodly large turbo that runs on my stock fuel injectors, etc. I think most of these questions are very good and valid, but I was overwhelmed just trying to respond to all of them. That is why I have created the map notes which go over many of the specifications, data we recorded, results we found, part of our tuning process, etc. I should have all of the 2006 map notes finished by early next week. We will host them as soon as they are finished, then you will be able to read more details about the map. I want to do what I can to educate the end-users about their vehicles, but I still need to be able to get my work completed on time. I hope my boss does not see this...wait this is work isn't it? Today is Saturday anyway. Oh well.

Take care,
Christian.

Quick Reply: Cobb Tuning's initial test data and driving impressions for the 2006 Subaru WRX MT…