Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

CBE = loss of torque??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:48 PM

Car Info: 2004 sti WRBluuu
CBE = loss of torque??

I recently got a greddy Ti-C CBE exhaust and put it on, still stock DP. After driving for a while I have noticed although it sounds friggin sweet, I don't get as much of a jolt when hitting the gas as I did when I still had the stock exhaust on. Has anyone experienced anything similar, or can offer any insight as to why this may be?? The exhaust isn't gonna come off bc of it, however it is noticeably different as far as torqueyness. I quite enjoyed the strong jolt I had before, it's good for scaring passengers.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
the "jolt" you experience from torque occurs from a sudden change in torque (from very little torque, to lots) and is a sign of not very smooth torque delivery. Perhaps adding the catback has smoothed out the torque band a bit so you don't feel the difference as much as you did before.

Other options are that you hyped yourself with expectations thinking there'd be more power than there is, so now, in comparison to your expectations, there is little power... or maybe you have a massive exhaust leak?
Old 05-04-2009, 12:36 AM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
well...

the feeling of a loss of torque can be cause you just got rid of alot of back pressure.

different exhaust setups will create different torque/horsepower gains.

the more free flowing, the better the high end, the more restrictive the better the low end.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:40 AM
banned

Car Info: 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX TR
Same kinda thing for me when my first power mod was the HKS Hi-power cat-back (still running the exact same one!)

The real power gained for our cars is in the tune or EM (engine management) so maybe look in to "stage 1" tunes. They usually only require you to have a cat-back or stock exhaust!

(Stage #'s and such vary with each company, so dont pay too much attention to X's Stage 1 and Y's Stage 2 numbers lol )
Old 05-04-2009, 02:05 AM

Thanks for the replys. Yea it does run much more smoothly with the new exhaust. I guess it makes sense then that the jolt isn't as violent with less back pressure. I wasn't really expecting anything along the lines of power gains from the exhuast alone and no DP or tune. But it has created at least the illusion of less torque which is why I was curious. Anyway it sounds sik as f^ck now especially at high RPM. Can't tell if I'm at all faster though.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:52 AM
banned

Car Info: 2004 STi
did you reset the ecu after installing this?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:13 AM

no the ecu has not been reset, I didn't think that was necessary for only a CBE. thoughts on this??
Old 05-04-2009, 10:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by wrxisthebest
well...

the feeling of a loss of torque can be cause you just got rid of alot of back pressure.

different exhaust setups will create different torque/horsepower gains.

the more free flowing, the better the high end, the more restrictive the better the low end.
Not exactly true. There is a balance between freer flow and torque on the bottom end. True, if it flows TOO freely, you'll experience a loss of low end, but freer flowing than stock will lead to gains (to a certain point).
Old 05-05-2009, 04:03 AM
banned

Car Info: 2004 STi
Originally Posted by warchildSTI
I recently got a greddy Ti-C CBE exhaust and put it on, still stock DP. After driving for a while I have noticed although it sounds friggin sweet, I don't get as much of a jolt when hitting the gas as I did when I still had the stock exhaust on. Has anyone experienced anything similar, or can offer any insight as to why this may be?? The exhaust isn't gonna come off bc of it, however it is noticeably different as far as torqueyness. I quite enjoyed the strong jolt I had before, it's good for scaring passengers.
What gasket did you use between the DP and catback?
Old 05-07-2009, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by C89ZX7R
What gasket did you use between the DP and catback?
My bad, I haven't been on i a couple. I used the ones that came with the exhuast, they were almost brand new. I don't think there is a leak or atleast not an obvious one. The guy I bought the exhuast off of only used it for about 3k. Anyway, as a follow up, what would a stage 1 tune even be worth?? I've never even heard of anyone doing that... usually just stage 2.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:09 AM

Car Info: Legacy 2007
The one where the turque delivery has been smoothed out makes more sense. That torque back pressure thing everyone is talking about is not something that occurs after the turbine. That happens between the turbine inlet and the engine. When turbine spins up faster you get more torque sooner and at lower rpm so the hump goes away. Turbines operate on differential pressure so the greater the difference between the turbine inlet and outlet pressures the more energy gets recovered from the exhaust and fed back into the engine via the compressor side. Anyway as it has been suggested, your torque hump has been spread out so you now have more of it all the time as opposed to, wait for it..., wait for it..., wait for..., there it is. Now it is more like press the go pedal and there it is ramping up with the rpm. If you get a downpipe you will end up with even more of the same..., just viscious lovely torque putting a grin on your face all the time.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:37 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
I had the same feeling from stock to aftermarket i thought i was just crazy lol..Wait till you get a DP with a stage 2 tune
Old 05-13-2013, 03:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2010 swp WRX hatch
Originally Posted by smokee_won
The one where the turque...
Stopped reading here... If you can't spell torque, we need to talk... Also, your first post is bumping a thread from 2009?
Old 05-13-2013, 04:13 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Originally Posted by norcalbmxer4u
stopped reading here... If you can't spell torque, we need to talk... Also, your first post is bumping a thread from 2009?
+ 1
Old 05-24-2013, 03:32 PM

I HIGHLY doubt you lost any torque. Now since you can hear your rpms a lot more it might seem that way since you can actually hear your motor and it sounds like its revving harder. And plenty of back pressure is created pre turbo. I gained a good amount of bottom end with my 3" turbo back.