Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Another P0442 Gas/Fuel Smell Problem But This Is Different

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 03:35 AM

Car Info: The Bus, Country Express Fool!
Another P0442 Gas/Fuel Smell Problem But This Is Different

I posted this on NASIOC as well.

OK, first off I have searched all over for any threads related to both "P0442 and gas/fuel smell". So please dont flame me for not searching. Heres my problem;

I have a 06 WRX TR with 27K on it. A few weeks back the CEL came on. Scanned it and got P0442. Here is what has been done so far using the FSM fault guide for the P0442 Code.

(1) I tightened the gas cap, cleared the code with my scanner. Two days later came back on.

(2) I got a brand new gas cap from Subaru, put it on and reset the ECU. Two days later, CEL back on.

(3) Checked the fuel fill hose, no noticeable problems.

(4) I checked the purge valve by the alternator, it was good . I used a mighty vac on all the evap hoses running from the drivers side firewall to the valve. they all held a good vaccum. I also changed the round black purge valve located by the purge valve

(5) I pulled the cannister and checked the evap line from the cannister to the drivers side firewall, checked good, held a vaccum. Also visually checked the cannister an it looked good, no cracks at all.

(6) I pulled the pressure solenoid valve that is above the cannister and checked it. It was a little questionable so I changed it out, reset my ECU one more time and......the CEL came back on after 34 miles of driving.

Now heres where I am now. I notice that I am getting a bad fuel smell when Im driving the car. I get out and sniff around. The smell seems to be coming from the drivers side rear passenger door area. so I pulled the back seat, went into the trunk and pulled out the carpet and the fuel pump access panel (oval shaped) on the passenger side and the jet pump access panel (round shaped) on the drivers side. cleared out the CEL with my scanner and went for a drive. After abouth 10 minutes of driving I started to notice a fuel smell in the car. Got on the freeway to try to get the code to come back and smelled fuel the whole time. Got the car home and let it idle while I sniffed around again. I noticed that the fuel smell was coming form the jet pump access pane (the round one) on the drivers side in the trunk. Now could it be the gasket for jet pump access panel from the fuel tank? Or could it be a evap or fuel line in that area? Anyone evar had to change the gasket for this panel of had a problem in the same area as mine? Help, please. I really want this figure this out myself.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:02 AM

Car Info: 06' 280whp/300wtq pig nose and 05' porsche cayenne
Ok so I also have a 06 tr and I've been having the same problem for the last 4 months I did exactly what u did but my code is the one that says my gas cap is loose/off. I even got my gas cap checked at a smog place and it was fine...I pisses me off cause I get my cel whenever the car feels like throwing one at me...I'll get it sometimes every 40 or so miles and other times I'll get it at 200+ miles into the tank and I also smell gas around the alternator area but even with the smoke test the evap system was fine...I've been so used to it that I have my ap on me all the time once it comes I just reset it and go on with my life...but it's also holding back from getting a decent tune on my car and I really wanna get to the bottom of it...I hope u the best bro. Hopefuly it's a easy fix...hopefully...
Old 10-17-2010, 08:07 AM

Car Info: wrx wagon/2.5rs
I have the same issue! Not sure if my CEL is the same but think its "purge control solenoid circuit low"?! Not sure haven't checked it in awhile, CEL still on cause I'll clear it nd it just comes back on immediately =\.. But have the same fuel smell every now nd then, comes and goes sometimes stronger on some days.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:33 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Use a leak tamer to find the leak.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
maybe a "recall" issue? Try calling subaru and tell them that a lot of ppl with that year/model are having these similar problems and see if they have anything documented with others.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:54 AM

There was one for earlier years. Not to sure about 06+. I'm just waiting to be able to log onto "Subaru network" =]], i start in two weeks!! then hopefully I'll be able to figure it out. Just hasn't bothered me to much.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:20 PM

Car Info: 06' 280whp/300wtq pig nose and 05' porsche cayenne
Paul im just going to come through and let u have a look at it. I've been so busy I just didn't have the time. But now I have to do something about it.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Churro Aficionado

Originally Posted by lzykid4life
There was one for earlier years. Not to sure about 06+. I'm just waiting to be able to log onto "Subaru network" =]], i start in two weeks!! then hopefully I'll be able to figure it out. Just hasn't bothered me to much.
Where you gunna work? Maita, Autowest, other??
Congrats tho
Old 10-17-2010, 05:17 PM

Elk grove Subaru. Thanks Thomas!! Can't wait. No more acuras. Loll
Old 10-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Churro Aficionado

Niiiiiice
Old 10-22-2010, 01:32 PM

Car Info: The Bus, Country Express Fool!
Update:

I had the cars evap system smoked and no leaks could be found. So now its looking as if the problem is with the gas tank itself. Looks like the tank is going to need to be dropped and all the valves located above the tank are gonna have to be checked out. Ill keep you guys updated as the work continues.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:48 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
If I had to guess, I'd say the fuel tank pressure sensor is bad.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:37 PM

Car Info: sti
Wow all for a p0442 code. Yeah you might have to look at the other things like a sensor like Paul has pointed out. Most of the the cars I've fixed with that code had a leak in the rubber gasket where the fuel pump is located.(passenger side trunk area- oval cover) A high pressure rtv sealant usually does the trick or a new rubber gasket. Also the canister in the bottom back as well and etc.

Have you ever replaced your fuel pump or have any mods done fuel related? I had one instance where someone mixed up the fuel lines in their engine bay(car wouldn't start after so many cranks) and I put the lines back in the correct areas and the car finally started. That started the p0442 code events, I notice a gas smell the in the trunk area and replaced the rubber gasket on the cover where fuel pump assembly is located and problem fixed. Just food for thought.

Ron

Last edited by STINGR3; 10-22-2010 at 04:07 PM.