Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Adding washers to the STi for the exhaust rumble

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 12:17 PM

Car Info: 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Adding washers to the STi for the exhaust rumble

Hey whats up guys,

I dunno if you guys know about adding washers to the exhaust to get that extra rumble from the boxer engine, but I added 1 to each side and I was wondering if that would actually damage the car? I have an 07 STi with about 350 miles on it because I am still in the break in process, and I recently added the washers cause I got tired of the stock STi exhaust system sound. Are there any draw backs to adding washers? Because in 2 months I am going to get an exhaust system but I just wanted to have some sound for the time being. Please give me your inputs if you have any. Thanks
Old 05-16-2007, 12:30 PM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
So, you basically created an exhaust leak?

I'm not familiar with this "mod". Please describe it in further detail - where did you add washers and to what exactly?
Old 05-16-2007, 04:08 PM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
sounds bad
just wait for the new exhaust and get it done correctly
done waste your time
Old 05-16-2007, 06:46 PM

Car Info: Fast
tired of the exhaust sound in 350 miles? LMAO. But ya, that does NOT sound like a good idea if I understand correctly.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:30 PM

I added the washers between the axle back and the down pipe, its sounds F****** awesome haha. It basically sounds like I have a turbo back exhaust system. And yes Egan I basically created an exhaust leak and from what I understand it doesnt' damage your car. You should ALL try it, its only a 50 cent mod. I let some other hardcore Subaru owners listen to it and they were shocked at the sound it produced with just adding 2 washers. You guys should really do your research before you flame me....... (keep in mind I am using ALL stock STi parts... no other mods were put in, I just made a nickel size gap between the axle back and the downpipe.)

Last edited by A170123W; 05-16-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
umm....all you did was make a leak...I have a leak too, does that make me teh c00l? I think leaks sound like **** (please note, there is no "the" before ****)

oh, and there is a reason leak is a negative term, not a positive one
Old 05-17-2007, 11:13 AM

Car Info: 2002 silver rex
kinda risky possibility of cool air warping the exhaust turbine.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by curbait
kinda risky possibility of cool air warping the exhaust turbine.
but atleast is sounds like you almost maybe have a CBE during the process of warping the turbine
Old 05-17-2007, 05:35 PM

Car Info: 05 STi White v2 8cm FP Red
I love this thread.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:42 PM

Car Info: MY03 WRX (SOLD)/1997 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 w/4.5" lift
Originally Posted by A170123W
You guys should really do your research before you flame me
Looking at your join date, number of post and year of car I highly doubt you should be telling anyone (especially moderators) to do their research. I think you should further look into exhaust leaks as they are usually a negative.

I think some new smilies are needed as none of these fit:

:sign0104:
Old 05-17-2007, 05:50 PM

Car Info: 2006 OBP LGT
Indeed he added the washer to create an exhaust leak but it also allowed the exhaust pressure to escape some before it exited the resonated muffler. I believe the system he is referring to is known as the "Hog-zawst System" that is discussed in a number of other forums. The only thing negative about this set up is that you lose power because of the back pressure. No harm done to the motor whatsever but IMHO not something I would keep for a long period of time. It might sound something like this though I had the mufflers COMPLETELY off.

EDIT: reread the OP. My main concern is, what part of the exhaust did you do this mod to? If anything it should be at the end of the exhaust where the muffler is otherwise some of the guys are right it may cause damage to your turbine over a period of time if you did it say on the downpipe? LoL and he is a new guy so he should be allowed to get flamed but everyone does at some point. I even got a s/n banned for it haha.

EDIT #2: read his response to your guys questions in which he replied:

I added the washers between the axle back and the down pipe
So that's definitely gonna have to take some clarification. How did you put the washer in between the dp and the axleback? We totally skipped out on the midpipe! Poor car. If you want to keep this mod, then do it at the end of the axleback as far back to the muffler as possible. It sounds like you are doing it in between the dp and the midpipe aka the front half of the "catback" not axleback, that I would say is a big no no. Good luck.

Last edited by d3v3u5; 05-17-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:53 PM

Car Info: MY03 WRX (SOLD)/1997 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 w/4.5" lift
Originally Posted by d3v3u5
Indeed he added the washer to create an exhaust leak but it also allowed the exhaust pressure to escape some before it exited the resonated muffler. I believe the system he is referring to is known as the "Hog-zawst System" that is discussed in a number of other forums. The only thing negative about this set up is that you lose power because of the back pressure. No harm done to the motor whatsever but IMHO not something I would keep for a long period of time. It might sound something like this though I had the mufflers COMPLETELY off.
I would have to disagree that this is not a safe "mod" (if it can be called that) over a extended period of time.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:14 PM

Here is a post to my prepost of the washer and the exhaust

Although this this a Legacy Video Clip, this is pretty much where I added the washers, between the downpipe and axleback. My gap is not as big as the one seen in this clip. The gap size on mine is about the thickness of a nickel, probably half the gap of this guys. Mine also sounds A LOT more aggressive with no backfire =P. Like I said before this is not something im going to keep on forever, its just for the 1-2 months that I will be saving for to get my stage 2. I only came here to share my thoughts, but if you guys wanna flame thats fine with me, I could care less.

http://media.putfile.com/Revealed-98
Old 05-17-2007, 09:02 PM

Car Info: Fast
its your car man...do what you want!! The worst thats going to happen, is you fill your car with carbon monozide whenever the car is idling.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:04 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Are there any draw backs to adding washers? Because in 2 months I am going to get an exhaust system but I just wanted to have some sound for the time being.
Adding washers to create an exhaust leak for the louder sound isn't a good mod. You never want exhaust fumes to exit under the passenger compartment in a street-driven car. Save your money for a real exhaust system.

Quick Reply: Adding washers to the STi for the exhaust rumble