Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

wrx running lean...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 10:29 PM

Car Info: 2014 Mitsubishi EVO MR/2014 Wrx
wrx running lean...

i have an air fuel guage and when at w.o.t. my rpms are at about 3k-5k and the a/f drops all the way down to lean the car bogs and doesnt pull as hard as it should but at 5k-redline it pulls hard and the airfuel guage goes up to rich, i have the check engine light that says the car is running lean..... i know that the previous owner had an accessport, turbo, injectors, full exhaust, when i got it it was stock.... so i dunno if someone messed up taking this stuff out.... or if the ecu map is messed up... what would be a good way to find out whats problem?
Old 04-28-2007, 12:10 AM

Car Info: 04 WRX
when you got it, it was stock? did the previous owner remap the ecu back to stock too? maybe reset the ecu (disconnect battery)?
Old 04-28-2007, 10:35 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx @ stage 2
reset is a good place to start.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:10 PM

ive reset the ecu countless times ever since ive got it.... it has been doing it ever since i bought it....when i got it, the car was completly stock exept for samco intake hose, and a boost and a/f guage... the mods ive put on myself are a exhaust (up-pipe back)and a k&n drop-in filter. my friend suggested that the ecu wasnt re-mapped back to stock because usually when u run bigger injectors u lean it out in the mid-rpms... could i try to swap out the ecu with another one? i want to get a cobb ap but i wanna know if the ecu is jack'd be4 i try putting one in.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:12 PM

Car Info: C32 AMG, Lincoln Navigator, LS1 Trans Am, E36 Bmw
The first thing to do is STOP hitting boost. Granny shift that B untill you find the cause. Which leads me to believe it's the o2 sensor. It ain't cheap, but you need it. Also, check your plugs and all connections in the engine bay. OR take it to the dealer.

Good luck bro!
Old 04-28-2007, 01:30 PM

ok took it out to get a better understanding of the problem.... it only happens in the higher gears 3rd 4th and 5th... and it doesnt happen until im over 75% throttle (just guessing the throttle%) im gonna try to change the fuel filter today.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by k3k0a
my friend suggested that the ecu wasnt re-mapped back to stock because usually when u run bigger injectors u lean it out in the mid-rpms... could i try to swap out the ecu with another one? i want to get a cobb ap but i wanna know if the ecu is jack'd be4 i try putting one in.
I bet your friend is right. Do you know anyone with a laptop and an open ecu program? If not and the previous owner didn't unmarry his AP and I'm pretty sure you'll need to have your ecu flashed back to stock before installing a new AP. Since your car is modded you should be looking for some EM.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:26 PM

yup. sounds like the ecu wasnt put back to stock. that totally sucks. try to contact the previous owner and ask him if the AP he has, has been unmarried with ur ecu. if not, like Mo_Rex said, get a reflash back to stock. and yes, you shoud definatly look for EM really soon. until then, stay out of boost. is your A/F guage a wideband or narrow?
Old 04-28-2007, 05:34 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by cbf246
is your A/F guage a wideband or narrow?
He said he was getting a CEL for lean conditions so he's definitely running lean but if it's not a wideband it's kind of useless so good question.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:47 PM

just changed the fuel filter and now the exhaust finally smells rich.... i was wondering ever since i put the exhaust on it never smelled rich like my rx7 or any of my eclipses, i just thought the wrx's were like that.... dont have time to take it out yet im late for something but as soon as i can i will.... ive tried to call the previous owner but the number is disconnected.... i may just have to search for a new ecu... i dont know too much about the subie's ecu but are they interchangable? worse comes to worse i have to find another one
Old 04-28-2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by MO REX
He said he was getting a CEL for lean conditions so he's definitely running lean but if it's not a wideband it's kind of useless so good question.
its a cyberdyne af gauge it was in the car when i bought it im pretty sure its narrow... i know that in most cases they arent worth crap and i wouldnt pay attention to it but the car acts funny when the gauge says lean
Old 04-28-2007, 09:09 PM

then id get the ecu checked out asap. maybe you can find a used ecu and swap them out. but i dont know if 02-05 wrx ecu are all the same. my vishnu xede says its for a 02-03 wrx, but i have an 04 and it works just fine.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:14 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by k3k0a
just changed the fuel filter and now the exhaust finally smells rich.... i was wondering ever since i put the exhaust on it never smelled rich like my rx7 or any of my eclipses, i just thought the wrx's were like that.... dont have time to take it out yet im late for something but as soon as i can i will.... ive tried to call the previous owner but the number is disconnected.... i may just have to search for a new ecu... i dont know too much about the subie's ecu but are they interchangable? worse comes to worse i have to find another one
Hopefully the fuel filter works but if it doesn't don't go out and buy a new ECU. have a dealer flash it back to stock and see what happens. If you're technically inclined and have a laptop just download openEcu http://www.tari.co.za/cgi-bin/blog/i...-installation/ It's free.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:16 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by cbf246
then id get the ecu checked out asap. maybe you can find a used ecu and swap them out. but i dont know if 02-05 wrx ecu are all the same. my vishnu xede says its for a 02-03 wrx, but i have an 04 and it works just fine.

Only the 02-03 WRX's share the same ecu. I think Subaru keeps changing them to make it harder on companies like Cobb.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by MO REX
Hopefully the fuel filter works but if it doesn't don't go out and buy a new ECU. have a dealer flash it back to stock and see what happens. If you're technically inclined and have a laptop just download openEcu http://www.tari.co.za/cgi-bin/blog/i...-installation/ It's free.
oh so dealers have the ability to re-flash to stock?

Quick Reply: wrx running lean...