Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Will OEM STi top-mount be sufficient for 16g turbo? (was: Intercooler question...?)

Old 10-05-2006, 10:23 PM

Car Info: 05 CGM WRX
Intercooler question...?

Hey everyone, I had a question. I was wondering if an STi TMIC would be able to support an 16G with supporting mods on an 05 WRX without having to worry about heatsoak with a protune on 91 and 100 octane.(will be getting the STi hoodscoop and air spliter as well...) Does anyone know if the TMIC would be able to do this job even in the hot summer weather? I'm aware that an FMIC would bring more power and such, but I really don't want to go through a HUGE hassle of taking off the FMIC and such if I get popped and get issued a ref ticket...

TIA,
Ben
Old 10-05-2006, 10:32 PM

Aw crap, I posted this in the wrong place....
Old 10-05-2006, 10:36 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
nope. if it were a JDM STi IC then maybe. The STi IC is not much larger then a WRX IC. Your best bet is to get an ebay TMIC, or go front mount. :\

This is actually the same setup that Ed of EQ Tuning has on his car, but the ebay IC is coated by Crucial.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:52 PM

Car Info: civic
not too familar with the 16g, but how much power will that turbo usually make with supporting mods, i'm assuming this is on a wrx?
Old 10-05-2006, 11:07 PM

on a 2.0L? I would guess about even with a VF34 if it is a big 16g.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:20 PM

Car Info: 2018 STI Limited
Honestly all the guys i have seen with FP series turbos on STIs have upgraded their intercoolers. I would think a Ebay TMiC, or if you want to go namebrand, a ARC or Perrin or something TMIC would work just fine. They are much easier installs also. For me i got a Ebay TMIC, godspeed i think it was. All i had to do was get a aftermarket Y pipe (samco) and move the metal lines behind the intercooler a little farther back. Worked perfect.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:21 PM

Car Info: civic
hrm. if the power output is equivalent to a vf34, then i would say a sti tmic would do the job. i'm running the stock wrx top mount on my car tuned by mike @ gst and made 256 whp and 220 wtq safely. I've also touched the core of the ic several times immediately after shutting down the engine, and it's cool to the touch. I dont have any hard facts though, just from what i've seen personally.

Oh one more thing though, i'm running the 'jdm' splitter and it directs air much better throughout the intercooler vs the stock one that came on the car. I'm sure that helps with the cooling as well. Granted, i'm no expert.

Last edited by AzN121184; 10-05-2006 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:32 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by Khooda
Hey everyone, I had a question. I was wondering if an STi TMIC would be able to support an 16G with supporting mods on an 05 WRX without having to worry about heatsoak with a protune on 91 and 100 octane.(will be getting the STi hoodscoop and air spliter as well...) Does anyone know if the TMIC would be able to do this job even in the hot summer weather? I'm aware that an FMIC would bring more power and such, but I really don't want to go through a HUGE hassle of taking off the FMIC and such if I get popped and get issued a ref ticket...

TIA,
Ben
sorry to say this, but heatsoak will be a concern with any topmount you get regardless of what turbo you run. And yes the boat anchor Ebay topmounts soak up and hold in a lot of heat too, as a matter of fact once the radiant heat from the engine overpowers the abitlity of the topmounts core to cool, the heavier cast tank top mounts make a much better heat sink than the lighter stamped STI top mount

theres actually a few different sizes of 16Gs, hell they even make a TD06 16g! But for a 16G sized around VF34 amount of CFM than the STI top mount would actually be a pretty good choice, hell miguel made 323 whp with an APS SR40 on 91oct on Gruppe-s dyno with a safe tune, and MARKSTI ran that 11.4 with hisoriginal FP Green with a stock US STI top mount, so dont let anyone tell you it cant be used on larger turbo just fine

Last edited by Krinkov; 10-05-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by AzN121184
not too familar with the 16g, but how much power will that turbo usually make with supporting mods, i'm assuming this is on a wrx?

Yeah it's going on an 2.0 WRX. I saw someone post on another site....270hp ...not sure if it was whp though. It was also on a dyno jet. And I think it was an TD05H 16g...not sure if that would be the "big or small" though.. I know it's not from an Evo though.

Last edited by Khooda; 10-05-2006 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:43 PM

Oh, and thanks for putting it in the right place Krinkov =D
Old 10-05-2006, 11:43 PM

don't listen to Krinkov, he has no real world experience. hahahaha.

it's a joke see, he hangs around gruppe-s way more then me. I just read crap on the interweb that is spoken as truth! Man I need to go to bed!

FMIC is the way to go like Krink says, the TMIC will always get heat soaked. FMIC will be consistant and cool mucho better.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:56 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by mcdrama

it's a joke see, he hangs around gruppe-s way more then me. I just read crap on the interweb that is spoken as truth! Man I need to go to bed!

FMIC is the way to go like Krink says, the TMIC will always get heat soaked. FMIC will be consistant and cool mucho better.
oh but I have something better than both coming soon though, just you wait and see
Old 10-09-2006, 05:22 AM

Car Info: Turbo 2000(UK) model CG8....300bhp,more to come!!:
over in the UK,we like STi Topmounts...........got one on mine,tops out at 345.5 bhp,with a vf35 tubby,currently running this in my classic(CG8),standard pump and injectors,with a hayward scott sport cat......front mount has been fitted to another CG8 i know,currently running at 364.8bhp(more agressive map)......

so not really alot of difference between Tmic or Fmic,main increase will increased with the additional mods.......hope this helps....
Old 10-11-2006, 01:47 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
Originally Posted by mcdrama

the downside to a FMIC is that on the bayarea roads its gonna get beat to crap and probably end up with a hole in it from all the crap on the roads.
plus you loose your foglights if you have them and have to either get a JDM bumper beam or modify your stock one.
but a TMIC with water spray works pretty well , just give it a mist of water to help bring the heatsoak temp down.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:09 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by Krinkov
sorry to say this, but heatsoak will be a concern with any topmount you get regardless of what turbo you run. And yes the boat anchor Ebay topmounts soak up and hold in a lot of heat too, as a matter of fact once the radiant heat from the engine overpowers the abitlity of the topmounts core to cool, the heavier cast tank top mounts make a much better heat sink than the lighter stamped STI top mount
Yes, I dont see why anyone would buy a used STi intercooler when you can get an ebay one for much cheaper! I mean people sell them for like $300. IMO that is a rip-off.

They do heat soak fast but after driving for ~ a minute or two it cools very fast. I have a TXS TMIC....but if I were to go back in time I would consider the ebay ssac ones. They seem to have good press lately. Although it is nice having a brand name

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will OEM STi top-mount be sufficient for 16g turbo? (was: Intercooler question...?)