Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

What would be the most affordable and well performed exhaust system on the market?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 07:42 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Question What would be the most affordable and well performed exhaust system on the market?

Well, I want to here your opinion on what would be the best exhaust system on the market thats affordable and has the best performance statistics. I just starting out with a base model WRX turbo and i want a good exhaust system but don't want to spend alot of cash. No preference on sound or looks just performance and affordability.

GS-R for sale on Autotrader:
http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...lor=&cardist=0

Last edited by doubledeuce189; 08-19-2003 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:59 AM

Car Info: '03 Black Sedan
In general just modding the exhaust won't give much extra performance in a WRX by itself unless you're removing cats...the stock 2.5 inch pipe is good to about 300-320 HP then gets restrictive...

If you're going to invest in one though think about what you want to do with the car first...if you're going to do mods for a lot of HP then buy a wider exhaust now (3")...otherwise probably OK to stick to 2.5 inch pipe...

Great discussions on this topic on:
www.spdusa.com
www.cobbtuning.com
www.vishnutuning.com
www.rallyperformance.com

Sound bytes of various exhausts are posted at:
http://www.chrislehr.com/garage/WRX/sounds/

Read them all if you have time to help you make a decision...

Cobb makes a great stainless steel 3" Cat Back exhaust for $575 (1 year warranty)

Rallyperformance sells the Scoobysport $519 (25 year warranty!)...probably the best sounding exhaust out there for the WRX...only an axle-back though with 2.5" pipe (3" tip though). They have dyno results posted on the site between stock WRX and one with a scoobysport. Turbo spoolup supposedly at 300 RPM sooner than stock which results in small gains early in the powerband but at high revs power is equal to stock...

Vishnu has their own cat-back exhaust as well ($795 w/5 year warranty). Not sure of its diameter but I assume 3"...

Prodrive makes a 2.5" axle back exhaust that I've seen anywhere from $280-$380 (usually around $350) from what I've seen. The tip looks great on the car and is quiet as stock...Haven't seen dyno results but expect it to have slightly quicker spool-up like the Scoobysport...

And there are a TON of other mufflers out there that I'm not too familiar with, these are just the ones that I've researched...

Basically it comes down to whether your going to want a lot of HP someday - then buy a 3" exhaust - Cobb or Vishnu. Both sound great and look good...

If you're going to do a stage sub-zero (ECUtech) or stage 1 (Cobb) reflash, you'd be fine with stock-sized exhaust (2.5"). Then the choice of exhaust isn't really one or performance but rather other things...Sound quality is key for me having driven a Miata and RX-7 with awesome-sounding exhausts - not loud, just 'refined' sounds - for you quiet may be better, then get the Prodrive muffler...Looks are also important - do you like the 4" can appearance, or is large enough to mean business (3") enough? The Prodrive and Cobb look great in this respect...Stromung and Vishnu offer double tipped exhausts that look closer to stock...AND if you're investing this much on a muffler you don't want to have to replace it EVER during the life of your car - that's an extra $400 that could be better spent on other mods...so warranty should play a role...yes its unlikely that a Cobb stainless steel cat-back exhaust will rot off the car (rather the car will probably rot off the exhaust first ) but with only a 1 year warranty do you want to take that chance for $575? Scoobysport is warranted for 25 yrs...you can bolt it to several cars in theory throughout the years...

In any event choice of an Exhaust is really a matter of personal preference unless you're going for sick performance then you're somewhat limited...use the link above to hear how some of the exhausts sound (Scoobysport, Cobb, or Vishnu are best IMO)...

I've been battling between Scoobysport or Cobb...Scoobysport has been tuning for WRX's for years before coming to the US and in many opinions has the best sound, although not necessairly the best looks - definitely a function piece...although their warranty is definitely the best in the business...rallyperformance sells them in the US...

Sorry about typing yet another term-paper on i-club...some have acused me of swallowing the internet...

Last edited by rhk118; 08-20-2003 at 08:12 AM.