Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

What is the quality of the Turbo XS Cast Iron Uppipe? Or Should I go with the Perrin?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 10:44 PM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
They are both excellent, if you did your research on both you would see.

Both have their own idea of whats ideal though and you need to decide which is better. But if price were a factor, the TurboXS is cheaper I believe.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:25 PM

Location: Perrin Race DP Perrin Up-pipe Blitz Nur-spec CB Blitz LM intake TXS UTEC GFB BOV
Originally posted by spdkills
does the TXS have an o2 bung?
Does the perrin have a bung?
Old 01-28-2003, 11:26 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
I just ordered the Perrin and am getting it installed on the 31st. I'll have a 2 hr drive back from MJP so I will get a good feel for it I'm sure.

I e-mail back and forth with Adam from Perrin regarding the uppipe and the material it's made of and the CEL fix. I also talked with Mike at MJP and he also recommended the Perrin if you have the money to spend on it. It's made from 321 stainless steel and is 1.75" in dia. There are a few other companies as well APS and PDE, which from what I understand are both great products in the upper end market.

If price is an issue you may also consider how you are going to install it, shop or self install. Shop prices will vary from 150 to 300 bucks. So that is added to your price if your not doing it yourself.

I will let you know what I think about the performance side next week.

Lowball
Old 01-29-2003, 09:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
Perrin...

Here is some other info from Adam @ Perrin via email with me:

"I can try to shed some light on the subject for you. The EGT sensor in the car is meant to monitor the cat material itself. Once you remove the material the reason for having the sensor is nil. In all cases leaving the sensor in the car will create problems. The sensor is prone to coming apart and being ingested into the turbo. Again, not a problem when the cat is still there. Also, in certain cases prior to failure the sensor will read too low and too high. If it reads to high the ECU will shut down the engine and not allow it to restart without a trip to the dealer! I have had several local customers have this problem with other brands of up-pipes. Also, EGT readings in this location for tuning is not ideal. The reading should be taken either much farther forward or after the turbo. Read this as "The up-pipe should not have an EGT sensor placed in it!"."

Hope this helps in your decision.

Lowball
Old 01-29-2003, 10:40 AM

Car Info: 2004+ Two Tone Green
i would get the turbo xs up pipe as it is cast. as far as flow i think they both are identical, but since the turbo xs up pipe is cast it can retain the heat within the up pipe. with the heat kept inside the exhaust velocity is greater, therefor increasing the effeciency of the exhaust getting to the turbo. the more effecient means that you will have less lag and more power. its just physics

nick diblasi
Old 02-25-2003, 06:13 PM

Car Info: 2002/2.5/sr40/400hp
uppipe

APS has a really good uppipe:
http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/wr...pe/up_pipe.htm

I will have a shippment from them here on 17th of March.

Dave@wannaberacing.net