Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Weird rattling/ticking noise aft EBC installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 01:30 PM

Car Info: ATR Catback, HKS Downpipe, Injen CAI, 17x7.5 Rota Subzeros/Falken Azenis, Tein HA's, Apexi-SAFC,
Weird rattling/ticking noise aft EBC installed

AFter I installed an Apex AVCR at certain RPM there is a sort of rapid rattle/ticking noise that comes on. I cant really tell if its doin it all the way up top because the exaust gets too loud to hear it. I was thinkig maybe i was the aftermarket solanoid. Any one else have this problem or is this normal? thanks guys
Old 10-18-2003, 04:40 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
I have seen aftermarket wastegate solenoids be slow, which causes them to rapidly try to open and close. It's because the solenoid doesn't move as fast as the controller wants it to at some boost levels, making the boost go higher or lower than the controller was trying to make it. It's sort of like when a car has an oscillating idle because the idle air control is not working. The sound you end up hearing is wastegate flutter.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:54 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
No.

The ticking sound is coming from your selenoid. It is not wastegate flutter. Just use a rubber grommet between the selenoid braket and the car body and the ticking will go away.

Aftermarket selenoids are not slow. They are A LOT more accurate than the OEM ones and a lot more responsive. It is a matter of taking your time getting familirized with the EBC and "tuning" it. Most EBC's these days come with either "fuzzy logic" or let you preset "gain" "start duty" and other parameters. In other words, they are much more tunable than the stock selenoid.

I am speaking from personal experience of using nearly every brand and model of EBC out there.
Old 10-19-2003, 01:08 AM

Car Info: ATR Catback, HKS Downpipe, Injen CAI, 17x7.5 Rota Subzeros/Falken Azenis, Tein HA's, Apexi-SAFC,
I thought it might have been the solonoid. I did put the rubber spacer between the frame and the solonoid though. Is the solonoid noise somethign will be noticable forever or is there something that needs to be tuned differently. BTW its an APEX AVC-R. Another question for you guys, under full throttle if I jump on and off the gas it seems to jerk. alot more hen before? I had the car dyno tuned with an SAFC, since i installed the AVCR I upped the boost a bit. woudl the jerk e from impropper tuning?is 1.2 bar too much boost for a stock turbo? Mods consist of ATR catback, hks dp, injen CAI, SAFV, AVCR. thanks for your time guys